1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Vegetarian Fury!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by ianmez, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

There is this really good podcast (imho) "How I Built This", with Guy Raz. If you haven't heard of it, he interviews people who started companies. This past week, he interviewed the founder of Bonobos. He started this company, because his founding partner couldn't find pants that fit. If waist fit, pants were too baggy, and vice versa. I didn't know it was a thing, but many of his friends at business school had the same problem. It reminded me of what your wrote a few entries ago. Spoiler alert, the company was sold to Walmart last year for 350 million. Unfortunately for the founders, their ownership % was watered down a lot by then, so most of the money didn't go to them.

2. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That does sound like a good podcast. What other podcasts do you like? You mentioned Rich Roll before and I listen to his sometimes too. I don't do as many podcasts as I do audiobooks, but a few I like a lot are Revisionist History with Malcolm Gladwell, Working Life with Adam Grant, and I liked the first season of Serial and I also liked S-Town. I like to listen to books that could be grouped into the social science/psychology/business/leadership categories and I especially like books (and podcasts) that explain and cite to research and studies. I have a group of about 20 that I have liked a lot and some of them I have read and/or listened to more than once. It is interesting to see the common threads in between many of them and start to develop some connections.

Counting down to 6 days til vacation. Whoo! It is a relief that TSA and other airport workers will now be getting paid for their work; I am happy for them for many reasons and also less anxious about what air travel is going to be like for this trip. I am hopeful that whatever budgetary/political issues are occupying our leaders right now are resolved as the rest of the year includes trips to several national parks.

On to fitness:

I continue to add reps and weight to lifts and at the same time lose fat from my abdomen and also weight in general. I am about 6 pounds from the point where I am not sure if I want to lose anymore weight (the last time I recall being that light--if I get there--was at some point in my freshman year of college, although it is fair to say that I have much more muscle now than I did back then). I estimate that those 6 pounds will correspond to about 2.5 more cm from my abdomen measurement so I'll be curious to see how I feel about myself at that point.

In the past I have had trouble working out consistently and today I've hit five months of very regular strength training, where I have hardly missed a workout.

Today was chest/tri's:

Dumbbell flat bench, 4x10; dumbbell inc bench, 4x10; bar dips 2x15, 1x9 with a 45lb plate, then bw x 21; chest flies, 4x12; overhead cable tri extensions, 3x10; dumbbell overhead tri extensions, 5x10; dumbbell flat bench 1x10, 1x9. I was pretty fried after.

About to leave in a bit to watch some rugby with a friend--a local pub is celebrating Australia Day so there will be rugby to watch (and Antipodean beer to drink, I believe).

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Without going into politics, since we're leaving for vacation on Friday I was relieved that the TSA and other federal employees are receiving paychecks. When we were in Charleston SC at the end of the year we wanted to visit Ft. Sumter, but since it was federal park it was closed.

Congrats on the five month milestone!

4. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Got back from vacation a week ago to a big snowstorm which disrupted things a lot at work. Mostly back to normal now. Travel/snow weirdness didn't have too much of an impact on fitness and I'm back on track although this week I deliberately took a step back in terms of the weight I was lifting and did some lighter sets. Will be back to where I was by next week probably.

In other positive news, the tendinitis that had been such an irritant magically cleared itself by the third day or so we were in Japan. In an ironic/magical twist, we were visiting a well known temple in Kamakura and I bought a charm that is for healthy legs (no idea such a thing even existed) and that basically coincided with no return of the pain.

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Quite the coincidence with the charm and your leg. Or is this more to it than that?

6. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'll never know! But it was a funny coincidence.

Feeling locked in on nutrition and strength training. I'm free of nagging injuries finally so in the next few weeks I'm going to integrate some new things. I'm estimating that I'm about 2-4 weeks away from upping my calories so I can gain weight instead of losing it.

Today's workout was good: db bench 4x10, db inc bench 4x10, dips +45 x 20, 15, 8; +25 x 13, x12; chest flies 3x12; tri cable pulldowns 3x10; tri db extensions 5x12; drop sets machine bench press x11, 4, 4; 20 minutes rowing.

I'm doing that Marie Kondo tidying thing right now and it's been awesome. A lot of stuff to donate or recycle and our house feels more orderly and nice to be in.

Have a great week everyone!

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That's some impressive dips. :bow:

We donate things to charity four to five times a year, but somehow there always seems to be a lot of stuff around. :ohnoes:

8. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

That women has gotten so popular, I hear her name popping up over and over. Kudos to you for getting rid of stuff. I read a book, also by a Japanese national. It was called "Goodbye Things". It was very good, he became an extreme minimalist. For example, he moved to a new apartment, and it took him 30 minutes to move all of his stuff. :)

How was your vacation?

9. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Free of nagging injuries, magic charm, hmm.

Whatever heals is good.

Welcome home

10. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Now I'm thinking I need to get a magic charm of "stop overeating!"

Jaer
    would just need to remember to keep said charm on his person.

11. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Amazing how we manage to accumulate things isn't it?

I might be interested in that book. The Marie Kondo book has really resonated with me and given me a helpful new way to think about the possessions we have.

Vacation was great, thanks! We're planning to go back in November, we hope.

I'll take whatever I can get. :)

I should have looked for one of those, too. Next time!

Checking in here today because I like to report whenever I make it to the gym first thing in the morning before work. My dream is to make this a regular habit. Got up yesterday and did a core workout at home, then today to the gym for legs. At its most crowded there were three people in the weight area. Heaven. BB Squats 4x10; db lunges 3x10; leg press 4x10; ham curls 3x10; quad extensions 3x10; cable kickbacks 3x10; box jumps 3x10.

It will be a while until I feel like I'm stronger in my legs. They're weak and skinny but I'm just telling myself I've got lots of room to grow and gain strength there.

Shoulders and tris tomorrow.

12. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Three restaurant meals in three days because we went out to eat Thursday night after dropping a carload of things off at Goodwill, then had the leftovers Friday night, then ate lunch yesterday in Portland where we spent the day. I tried not to overeat but I wasn't stingy with the portions, either. Not sure what that will mean for tomorrow's measurements but I don't particularly care as long as I'm not relapsing into bad habits. One of the restaurants we've been going to for nearly 18 years and when we sat down, a server we didn't recognize said to us, "Massaman Curry, right?" because she's recognized us from all of the times we've been in over the years. She said she's usually working in the kitchen but she hears everything. We learned her name and talked to her for a while and it felt really nice. Then yesterday's lunch was at our favorite joint in Portland, a place we go to every single time we go down there. Beautiful day for traveling and Mt Rainier and Mt St Helens and Mt Hood were spectacular, brilliant white snow caps against a crisp blue sky.

But spending the day in PDX meant no workout yesterday, so everything's shifted a day. Chest/tris this morning: db bench x 3 x 12 and then 1 x6; db inc bench 4 x 12; bar dips, 75 spread out over five sets some weighted some not; chest flies 4 x 12; tri cable pulldowns 3 x 10; db overhead tri extensions 3 x 10; drop sets with the machine bench press, then ab and core work. I'm still thinking that if I stick to the plan it will be about the end of March before I consider this phase complete and move on to a deliberate weight gain phase. I'm a bit nervous about that so I'll wait and see how I feel about it.

Hope you all have a great week! My plans include 3 morning workouts so I'll hopefully be posting here saying that I did them.

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That's always a nice touch when the establishment recognizes you.

14. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

That was amazing, that she knew what you were going to order. She insured herself a generous tip. :)

Next time, take photo's. :) You made it sound so good.

15. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    One time, years ago, my wife called up to ask them a question about a seasonal menu item and the person who answered asked her "Is this the massaman curry girl?" There's a reason it's our favorite place :) We are meeting friends there for dinner in 2 weekends so we get to go back soon.

I try not to take it for granted how beautiful it can be out here but sometimes I do. Clear winter days in the Northwest are amazing, even better than summer really.

2 for 2 so far getting to the gym in the morning. I have to get my routine down a little better since today I left my wallet at home but I made it through the day without it. Good way not to buy anything I guess. Today was legs which I'm easing into because I'm so weak there and also because of previous back injuries. Tonight I started what I hope to be a regular and intensive stretching routine so I'm all limbered up and flexible when I go back to martial arts classes next month. I am in a groove now where I am just going to keep trying to make it to the gym first thing in the morning. Then I can use my lunch break 2x a week for something else (work, sadly, probably). In the summer I'm thinking about going to a yoga place nearby once or twice a week, so maybe I could do that instead.

Last night we made Japchae, which is sort of a Korean stir fry with noodles and it was really good. We have a vegan cookbook called Thug Kitchen which is great, except it has this absurd gimmick of including unnecessary profanity in all of the instructions for the recipes. It's funny for about 2 seconds and then a little tedious but the recipes are very very good. Tomorrow night we're making a chickpea bolognese from the same cookbook.

16. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Well now I need to try massaman curry!

Jaer
    doesn't frequent places regularly enough to be a regular.

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That's some good sounding eats!

I looked up the book you mentioned and the reviews were very favorable. Based on the reviews I read on Amazon clearly the "thug" approach is not everyone's cup of tea, but the recipes were generally well received. As time permits I'm going to look into the book with the thought of possibly purchasing it. At a minimum I'll be visiting the web site for some ideas.

You seem to be in a good groove with your exercise with a number of options going forward.

Agree about the Pacific NW; I've never been to Portland, but have been to Seattle a few times. From your perspective not all that close, but to an East Coaster it kinda sorta is.

18. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It's by far my favorite curry (it's a Thai curry) and I like a lot of curries. Not sure what it is about it, but mmm. :eat:

The Thug books do wear really thin with the gimmicky swearing but to me it's just kind of eye-rolling rather than bothersome. I was in the Navy so I've had a lifetime of cursing. But I think the recipes are really solid from the point of view of easy-to-make accessible vegan food. That kind of thing is really in my sweet spot since I'm not an advanced enough cook I want to try things that are really involved and have a high degree of difficulty. But the Thug recipes punch above their weight in terms of how good they taste compared to how hard they are to make.

It's funny, when we lived on the East Coast the idea of going to NYC or Washington DC for a day seemed almost outrageous even though it was about a 2-3.5 hour trip if we didn't have nightmare traffic. And now even though Portland is three hours it seems close by comparison because there are so few large cities out here. I wish I could time travel back to the mid-90s and spend more time in all of those great East Coast cities that seemed so distant at the time. Being in Portland this weekend and seeing so much construction there made me sad for it as I've seen Seattle change dramatically in the last decade with all of our construction and I'm nostalgic for when it felt like a smaller place. But I can't really complain as I'm a transplant, too and it's better to be somewhere growing and vibrant rather than somewhere that the life is draining from. Take the bad with the good.

Thanks for the comment about being in a groove. I'm really trying to ride this momentum right now. 3/3 this week in going to the gym in the a.m. and I'm going for 4 tomorrow. If I can somehow turn morning workouts into a habit I'll have conquered one of my fitness Everests. I'll see where I am in about 6 months.

19. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Well shit, now you are making me rethink my opinion on cities! I live in Delaware ("Close to Everywhere You'd Rather Be!"). 30-45 minutes to Philly. 1.5 to Baltimore. 2ish Annapolis. 3 to DC or NY. But I HATE cities, so we don't often go. The real problem is I don't go enough to ever get comfortable with a location or with the driving, and I hate the parking, and the paying so damn much for parking, and the people not watching where they are going or what's going on around them. And the smell.

I have friends who are like "Oh let's go to Frankford Hall in Philly for dinner!" and my immediate thought is why? Sure, they've got some decent menu items and large glasses of beer...but why drive all that way and pay tax to stand around in a crowded bar? We can go to a crowded that's only 5 minutes away and has parking. In fact, why are we going to a crowded bar at all? We can buy beer and make pretzels at home.

Something like the Viking exhibit at the Franklin Institute or Shen Yun, both things I recently went to Philly to see cause I couldn't have those experiences locally.

Jaer
    doesn't understand bar-crawling either. If you haven't had every drink or all the food that interests you in a place, what's the point of moving to a new location? It's not like we're talking to strangers at any of these places. We're not dancing, so it's like like we need to find a spot with the right music. We aren't going someplace for a specific cuisine. We're just getting up and leaving here because we've been hear for 30 minutes already. Why leave a place with a creditable reason?

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ianmez,I have a number of relatives who have lived in Seattle for at least 15 years and in some cases a decade longer. What you expressed about the growth of the city is something I've heard them speak about on more than one occasion.

Regarding the book, clearly the "thug" thing with the cursing is a marketing ploy; I guess if it somehow differentiates the book and website from others and only a small percentage of folks are offended then it's worthwhile. I looked at the website yesterday and there are definitely some recipes I'd make.

I really enjoy having relatively easy access to NYC, but rarely go. I live in a foodie town with a lot of entertainment opportunities and the region has much to offer so unless we're meeting friends, such as what happened last Friday with my cousin, or doing something that can only be experienced in the city, as was Jaer's recent experience, such as a concert of a band which is making NYC the only local stop or a particular museum exhibit I stay close to home. Tonight is a perfect example of that; we're going with friends for a casual dinner and a concert at a small venue that's about ten miles from the house. No tolls, no parking fees, and an easy drive to and fro.