1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Vegetarian Fury!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by ianmez, Jan 23, 2010.

1. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks! You too.

Happy New Year as well. Thanks fellas. It's hard to not push myself when I am motivated to push myself but I've laid off running for nearly 2 weeks now. I'm going to try to give it another 5-6 weeks before I start running again.

Good fitness week. I've replaced running with walking and have done this most nights. I can definitely see changes in the mirror. I might post some progress pics in a while. It's been several weeks since I've taken a pic.

This week I begin trying something I have never been successful at sustaining: early morning workouts. I'm going to shoot for just one day/week of these. If I can do it regularly maybe I'll shift more of them to the early AM but it's always been so hard for me to keep up with.

I went shopping today and didn't have luck finding dress pants and dress shirts that fit well. There were so few pants with a small enough waist and you'd think that I'd fit fine into shirts, but it's hard to find a cut that works well. It's a little alarming to think about it because I am not super fit or freakishly muscled or anything. I am just reasonably lean now. And the fact that there aren't many options in the stores for reasonably lean people tells me that stores know they can't make money selling these things because there aren't enough people to buy them. And that is not a good thing. I did buy some really soft cotton tees at Banana Republic for just $10 each though.

Have a great week everyone!

2. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Most people would be happy to be in your situation. But I understand what you are saying (not from experience).

3. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Just here to report that I got myself to the gym this morning before work which is something I practically never manage to do. Gonna try to do this 1x/week for a while.

And man. My legs are WEAK.

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Kudos to you!

Once a week, on Wednesdays, I'm at the gym at 5:45. I hate it when my alarms goes off, but the upside is that by a little bit after eight I've done some work, worked out, and done the major food shop for the week.

5. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:

Good luck on setting the routine! Getting up in the morning can be tough, especially during cold, dark winter days, but once you make it a habit, it just becomes The Norm.

Jaer
    still struggles getting out of bed on time, but he is rarely so late that he misses his workout. He just needed to adjust the timing.

6. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks guys. This week will be week 2 of this experiment. You're both so right but man this has always been a struggle for me.

Another pretty good week for me. I ran for 6 minutes the other evening just too see if I noticed any pain or discomfort and things seemed okay but I'm still likely going to wait another week or two before I try regular running again. So that was encouraging. Today I added weighted pullups back into the repertoire but didn't push myself as much as I could have with them, but that felt okay too.

To make walking on the treadmill more palatable I've been rewatching The Wire and it's felt like I'm getting reacquainted with old friends. I really love that show.

Sometime during the week I reached another ab measurement milestone and am pretty psyched about that. I would estimate I have about 2-5cm left to drop before I really change things up and consider focusing on adding muscle instead of losing fat. It is hard to overstate how effective it is to have consistent workout and nutrition routines and how integrating them and stringing together a bunch of days in a row really works to get results. It's been hard work but I'm very much now in "just putting in the work" mode and it's going well.

This weekend's workouts:

Sat: db flat bnch, 3 sets of 10 reps, 1 of 5; db incl bnch, 4 sets of ten reps; bar dips, 5 sets x 20 reps; chest flies, 3 sets of 10 reps; overhead cable tri extensions, 3 sets of 10 reps; overhead db tri extensions, 5 sets of 10 reps; machine bench press, drop sets of some amount of reps I can't remember to exhaustion. Then 30 mins on rowing machine. 60 min walk on treadmill later.

Sun: pullups, 65 reps over 5 sets; machine low row, 3 sets of 10 reps; standing cable high rows, 3 sets of ten reps; rear delt flies, 3 sets of ten reps; standing BB curls, 1 set of 5, 1 set of 10, 1 set of 9, 1 set of 10; chin ups, 34 reps over 4 sets with 2 using the machine assist; 3 sets of 10 reps of machine preacher curls; about 25 reps of standing alternating db curls, drop sets to exhaustion; 3 x ten reps of weighted lower back extensions. Then 30 minutes on the rower. I'm beat.

7. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

One thing I find helps with waking up early is going to bed early. I'm usually in bed by 10 and up before 6. I like working out in the morning because I tend to have chores and stuff and work which often prevents me from working out

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm glad the running experiment went well.

9. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yes, definitely. I have really curbed my previous tendency to stay up late and it's been helpful.

Thanks! I am going to continue to be patient with it, too.

Well, 2nd week in a row I got to the gym on a Tuesday morning before work. Fewer people here this week than last week at the same time and that was a very nice change. My legs still feel extremely weak but on the positive side, that means there's lots of opportunity there to make gains.

Had mushroom 'steak' fajitas tonight with sauteed peppers and onions, avocado, homemade salsa and vegan sour cream we made out of cashews. Also a bowl of cream (cashew) of broccoli soup. Good stuff!

10. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

A cashew is a versatile nut. Rich Roll's wife wrote a cookbook of imitation cheese, many made from cashews. Now I see cashew milk all over the place.

You made your dinner sound very appealing.

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Your dinner sounds delish. Were the 'shrooms portabellas?

12. macdiver

Bronze Member

That does sound like a vegan meal I would eat and enjoy.

13. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I do love me some cashews!

Jaer
    eats them by the handsful. So he tried not to keep them around anymore.

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Indeed cashews are delish, but I rarely buy. Last month I was on a pistachio kick and made sure to buy ones in the shell to slow me down. :)

15. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I do the same, getting pistachios in the shell.

Jaer
    just told H to not buy more nuts and to get fruit instead. Been eating way too many nuts.

16. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I haven't read her cookbook but I'm aware of it and might try some of the cheeses out one day. Cashews are a great 'cream' substitute in vegan dishes I've concluded.

Yes! They were.

I couldn't find the recipe online but it's from the Vegan For Everybody cookbook from America's Test Kitchen.

I'm in the same boat and if I buy a bunch of them I'm likely to eat them all. I can manage to keep away from them if they're unsalted at least, which is good because they're the kind we use in recipes.

So, I'm fighting what I think is tendonitis in my right shin brought on (I think) from something I did on leg days. This is kind of a bummer because we're going on vacation on February 1 and we're going to do a lot of walking. So although I've been to the gym, I've avoided a lot of walking and I'm spending this long weekend resting and icing :( .

But aside from that all is good. Abdomen measurement (at fattest point) keeps creeping downward, now at 75cm. I continue to gain strength. I do worry that I'm losing muscle mass but I'm not really sure what that means if I keeping adding weight and reps to my lifts.

Weighted pullups and dips are back! This week I did some dips with a 35 pound plate and some pullups with a 45 pound plate.

Weekend's exercises: db flat bench, 3x10, 1x8; db inc bench, 4x10; bar dips, 3x15, 1x12; chest flies, 3x10; overhead cable tri extensions, 3x10; db overhead tri extensions, 5x10; drop sets of machine bench press

Pullups, 52 overall with varied weights; machine low row, 3x10; cable high row, 3x10; rear delt flies, 3x10; standing BB curls, 2x10, 1x4, 1x10; EZ curl bar preacher curls, 2x10; standing alt db curls, drop set, chin ups, 2x10, 1x7; hanging low back extensions 3x10; machine preacher curls 2x10.

I'm hoping the tendonitis really settles down with so much sitting around watching movies and reading. I'm antsy to be active.

17. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I had to look up how many inches 75 cm was. :) You are pretty thin. Good luck with the tendinitis.

I was just listening to the Joe Rogan podcast while doing my cardio at the gym. He was interviewing Dr. Andrew Weil. He confirmed what you said, it is hard to be vegan in Japan. That was one of the reasons (or excuses) he went back to eating fish.

18. macdiver

Bronze Member

Hope the shin heels quickly.

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Wishing you a quick recovery from your tendonitis.

20. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks everyone. I'm trying to let it heal. I was able to get both my workouts in this work week, which was good because one of the days I had to commute to Tacoma for a meeting. I'm guardedly optimistic I can meet my goal by the middle of March and then start adding a lot of calories and work on gaining muscle. Just about one week til vacation time. Wooo!