1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Vegetarian Fury!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by ianmez, Jan 23, 2010.

1. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Thanks! On the other hand, I ended up catching a nasty cold...win some, lose some.

I looked on the googles and I didn't get much clear information about how to increase deep sleep since going back in time to be 20 years old doesn't appear to be an option right now. I like having the information too and it's amazing to me how often I apparently wake up at night for a minute without realizing it. It will be more interesting to me after I've accumulated a few months' worth of data but even right now it's fascinating to me.

I'm about 90% over this cold. I ran for the first time since I got it and it wasn't awful, but I didn't feel strong either. Mentally, that's the most difficult thing for me, feeling as if I lost ground. The cold kept me home from work for three days which I think pretty much ties my all-time record for most consecutive workdays missed. The last time I missed 3 days of work was probably 2013 due to a pretty serious back injury. But it was the smart thing to do and I feel almost fully recovered.

Tonight we go to see friends at their house for dinner and tomorrow is a day when I can get a lot done around the house and hopefully have a stronger run. Nutrition this week has been so-so but I've still resisted eating sugar or gobs of junk food, which is making me feel good about myself.

2. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I didn't know that deep sleep was easier when you are young. Good to know. According to the watch, It shows I seldom wake up during the night. That surprised me.

Did you find it hard, moving from vegetarian to vegan? Also, have you tried the Impossible Burger. I want to give it a try (I don't eat beef or any type of red meat), but I am curious about tasting it. To me, even a Boca Burger with a large slice of onion, ketchup on a hamburger roll, tastes almost the same as a normal hamburger.

3. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member

Glad you are feeling better

4. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I have bouts of insomnia: either I can't fall asleep (even if tired) or, more likely, I wake up in around 2:00 or 3:00 and can't get back to sleep easily, if at all.

My "usual" sleep pattern is to go to bed between 10:30-11:30, though I tend to read in bed for an hour--once my eyes start drooping, I turn out the reading light and go to sleep. I read in bed because it usually takes me an hour to fall asleep anyway, so might as well use the time reading. H is out within 5 minutes of her head hitting the pillow.

I typically wake up once in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. Most nights, I can fall back to sleep pretty easily upon returning to bed. Sometimes, if my brain decided to turn on and start processing, I can't get back to sleep for an hour or so (I sometimes have to return to my book). If it is really bad, I can be awake for hours, suddenly forced into complete wakefulness. These nights, I usually end up getting out of bed after a fitful hour or so of not sleeping. I often find I can fall back to sleep just in time to get an hour or so of sleep.

I have tried a lot of sleep supplements over the years. Taking L-tryptophan right before bed helps me get drowsy and fall asleep faster, and I think sleep deeper. Melatonin had this effect, too, but to a lesser degree. Taking ZMA before bed helps me fall back to sleep faster those times I wake up in the middle of the night; I don't think it helps with putting me to sleep the first time, though.

I'm trying a new think now from the Genius brand of products which is supposed to be a sleep aid. I'll let you know how it goes after I have a little more experience.

Jaer
    is curious what kind of sleep info he'd get from a wearable fitness tracker.

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Glad you're feeling better.

6. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

It wasn't as hard as I thought to go to veganism. Traveling is one of the more tedious parts about it because there's no guarantee you can find a quick (and affordable/delicious/etc.) vegan meal when you're out and about.

I've learned that I like the simplicity and the challenge associated with reduced food options, so those aspects of it make up for the parts that are hard. But there aren't many times I think "Oh I miss _____." This surprised me a little. But it was the exact same deal when I gave up meat products so many years ago--I thought "I'll just try this for a month and see if I can do it" and after a few weeks I thought "I like this and it's not nearly as difficult as I imagined."

I've never had the Impossible Burger. I've heard of it! My favorite "burger" is the Field Roast burger. I think it's delicious, but since it's been almost 15 years since I've had a hamburger, maybe I've just lost touch with reality. :crazy:

I'll be curious to hear what your experience is. The more I read and understand about sleep (admittedly, not that much) the more I'm starting to develop the hypothesis that it might be one of the most important things we can do for our wellbeing.

Thanks guys! Me too!

Running is still a challenge but starting to feel a little bit better. It's like I've lost about 3 weeks of cardio fitness because of the cold, but it is what it is. Strength training about where it was before the illness without any real drop off so that's good. Was able to go to the gym today at lunch and had a solid chest/tri workout. Back/bi on Thursday.

Have a great week everyone.

7. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member

I would imagine you eat a lot of lot of salads when traveling after making sure there are no bacon or other animal products