1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Vegetarian Fury!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by ianmez, Jan 23, 2010.

1. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks! On the other hand, I ended up catching a nasty cold...win some, lose some.

I looked on the googles and I didn't get much clear information about how to increase deep sleep since going back in time to be 20 years old doesn't appear to be an option right now. I like having the information too and it's amazing to me how often I apparently wake up at night for a minute without realizing it. It will be more interesting to me after I've accumulated a few months' worth of data but even right now it's fascinating to me.

I'm about 90% over this cold. I ran for the first time since I got it and it wasn't awful, but I didn't feel strong either. Mentally, that's the most difficult thing for me, feeling as if I lost ground. The cold kept me home from work for three days which I think pretty much ties my all-time record for most consecutive workdays missed. The last time I missed 3 days of work was probably 2013 due to a pretty serious back injury. But it was the smart thing to do and I feel almost fully recovered.

Tonight we go to see friends at their house for dinner and tomorrow is a day when I can get a lot done around the house and hopefully have a stronger run. Nutrition this week has been so-so but I've still resisted eating sugar or gobs of junk food, which is making me feel good about myself.

2. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I didn't know that deep sleep was easier when you are young. Good to know. According to the watch, It shows I seldom wake up during the night. That surprised me.

Did you find it hard, moving from vegetarian to vegan? Also, have you tried the Impossible Burger. I want to give it a try (I don't eat beef or any type of red meat), but I am curious about tasting it. To me, even a Boca Burger with a large slice of onion, ketchup on a hamburger roll, tastes almost the same as a normal hamburger.

3. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Glad you are feeling better

4. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I have bouts of insomnia: either I can't fall asleep (even if tired) or, more likely, I wake up in around 2:00 or 3:00 and can't get back to sleep easily, if at all.

My "usual" sleep pattern is to go to bed between 10:30-11:30, though I tend to read in bed for an hour--once my eyes start drooping, I turn out the reading light and go to sleep. I read in bed because it usually takes me an hour to fall asleep anyway, so might as well use the time reading. H is out within 5 minutes of her head hitting the pillow.

I typically wake up once in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. Most nights, I can fall back to sleep pretty easily upon returning to bed. Sometimes, if my brain decided to turn on and start processing, I can't get back to sleep for an hour or so (I sometimes have to return to my book). If it is really bad, I can be awake for hours, suddenly forced into complete wakefulness. These nights, I usually end up getting out of bed after a fitful hour or so of not sleeping. I often find I can fall back to sleep just in time to get an hour or so of sleep.

I have tried a lot of sleep supplements over the years. Taking L-tryptophan right before bed helps me get drowsy and fall asleep faster, and I think sleep deeper. Melatonin had this effect, too, but to a lesser degree. Taking ZMA before bed helps me fall back to sleep faster those times I wake up in the middle of the night; I don't think it helps with putting me to sleep the first time, though.

I'm trying a new think now from the Genius brand of products which is supposed to be a sleep aid. I'll let you know how it goes after I have a little more experience.

Jaer
    is curious what kind of sleep info he'd get from a wearable fitness tracker.

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Glad you're feeling better.

6. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It wasn't as hard as I thought to go to veganism. Traveling is one of the more tedious parts about it because there's no guarantee you can find a quick (and affordable/delicious/etc.) vegan meal when you're out and about.

I've learned that I like the simplicity and the challenge associated with reduced food options, so those aspects of it make up for the parts that are hard. But there aren't many times I think "Oh I miss _____." This surprised me a little. But it was the exact same deal when I gave up meat products so many years ago--I thought "I'll just try this for a month and see if I can do it" and after a few weeks I thought "I like this and it's not nearly as difficult as I imagined."

I've never had the Impossible Burger. I've heard of it! My favorite "burger" is the Field Roast burger. I think it's delicious, but since it's been almost 15 years since I've had a hamburger, maybe I've just lost touch with reality. :crazy:

I'll be curious to hear what your experience is. The more I read and understand about sleep (admittedly, not that much) the more I'm starting to develop the hypothesis that it might be one of the most important things we can do for our wellbeing.

Thanks guys! Me too!

Running is still a challenge but starting to feel a little bit better. It's like I've lost about 3 weeks of cardio fitness because of the cold, but it is what it is. Strength training about where it was before the illness without any real drop off so that's good. Was able to go to the gym today at lunch and had a solid chest/tri workout. Back/bi on Thursday.

Have a great week everyone.

7. macdiver

Bronze Member

I would imagine you eat a lot of lot of salads when traveling after making sure there are no bacon or other animal products

8. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    What we ended up doing is when we're traveling somewhere that doesn't have much in the way of vegan food we avoid restaurants and find ways to get our food from supermarkets. Our newest trick is that we pack vegan backpacking meals with us so if we ever get into a situation where we are really hungry and we just can't find anything to eat we can make something with just hot water. So far we haven't had to resort to it, but we're traveling overseas in February and I can imagine it might happen then.

We're not foodies. :)

Recovery from the cold is almost complete. I've had two good running nights in a row after a sad running weekend.

Unfortunately I had a weird discomfort and weakness in my lower back so I skipped a strength workout on Sunday but was back in the gym today.

I can't believe it's only Tuesday. I felt like I've had two weeks so far this week. Hope you're all well out there and having good weeks.

Happy Holidays, all.

9. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I think you wrote you are going to Japan. I would think Vegan would be easier there than most places (but what do I know). Never heard of vegan backpacking food before.

If you are Vegan, that goes without saying. :lol: (just kidding)

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I can imagine how difficult it would be to stick with your veganism while travelling; the camping stuff is a great idea.

11. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Japan is so much harder than you'd think! We thought it would be vegetarian paradise, but we didn't find that to be true when it came to restaurant food and we weren't really in a position to get lots of food from supermarkets.

Okay, that line about foodie-ism got a pretty big chuckle out of me.

It's a challenge yes but that's also part of the fun. :)

Yesterday I grinded out a 13.5 mile run which felt like really good news for me. Running has been kind of a chore lately so it felt like an accomplishment to stick with it.

Solid strength training workouts this weekend--weighted pullups and dips are in full effect. :bb:

Have a great week out there.

12. macdiver

Bronze Member

Nice run, a half marathon +. :claplow:

13. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Glad you enjoyed the comment, after I wrote it, I was thinking, maybe it was a mistake, that you might take it as an insult. I listen to the Rich Roll podcast, he is vegan. He really made a huge career out of becoming vegan. He is now a writer, and an in demand speaker. He speaks at many of the Veg Fests and other events around the USA and internationally. He and his wife put out 2 or 3 vegan cook books, and I am sure the recipes are very appealing. If you listen to podcasts, and have not heard of him, he is worth listening to. He is an excellent interviewer. Not all of his guests are that interesting, but about half are (imho).

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Well done with the run!

15. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks fellas!

I have heard of Rich Roll and I've listened to a number of his podcasts. Even when the guests aren't interesting, I find the podcast very relaxing. It's nice to find something to listen to that is informative but also makes me feel positive and calm. A rare find these days.

Good solid two weeks of food and workouts. Today did 4x flat bench db press, 4x inc db press, 3x weighted dips, 3x tri cable pushdown, 4x chest flies, 3x overhead cable tri extensions, 3x overhead db tri extension, then a bunch of core exercises. Got some stuff done around the house and then did 15.6 miles running. I'm beat.

I bought jeans last month because my older ones were too big and now they're a little too loose. Might have to buy more jeans again soon. A good problem to have I suppose.

Have a great week everyone and Merry Christmas to those who celebrate it.

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Putting up some big running miles. :tucool: Sounds like you have some serious body recomposition going on.

17. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:

I did pile up a lot of miles last week and probably pushed things too far--I have some sort of strain or slight tearing in my lower abdomen; this is something I've done before when I've been really aggressive with long runs. So, I'm going to quit running for six weeks or so. I came to a decision this week that I'm not going to train for a marathon this spring. Running a marathon was never my real goal here, so it doesn't make sense for me to derail things by injuring myself in service of a goal that isn't at the top of my list.

Lifting is going well, but I'm also taking a break from doing weighted dips and pullups because the additional weight + belt I use places strain on my lower abdomen in a way that probably isn't good for it right now. Same thing with a few other exercises like (weirdly, to me) tricep cable pushdowns, so I'm swapping something else in, instead.

Anyway, this holiday time is cruising along without me getting off track with my nutrition. I haven't been diligent about keeping detailed records but my abdomen measurement is down again, which is the main way that I track progress. Weight has been hovering around the same number for a few weeks now, which is terrific. It's okay if I lose more but I'm evaluating progress by how I feel, how I look in the mirror, how clothes fit, and what the tape around my abdomen tells me.

Today's lifts: flat db bench x3 sets, incline bench x3 sets, bar dips x5 sets, chest flies x4 sets, overhead cable tri extensions x3 sets, overhead db tri extensions x5 sets, machine bench press drop sets x5.

I've replaced running with walking and it's kind of boring. :sleep: But will probably be good for me in the end.

Have a great holiday weekend, everyone.:dance:

18. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I agree with you on that one. :nod:

Seems like you have a good handle on your health and nutrition.

Happy New Year.

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Good idea to make the adjustments that you are; the goal is long term continued exercise, which entails listening to your body. FYI, that's something that took me a long time to come to terms with so I know it's easier written than done.

20. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Happy New Year!

And ditto what Seltzer said about listening to your body and adjusting as needed.

Jaer
    is practicing mindfulness meditation for just that reason.