1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Vegetarian Fury!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by ianmez, Jan 23, 2010.

1. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Sorry for your stepmother. Hopefully her last days will be without suffering and will be surrounded by family.

2. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks everyone for your kind words. She was finally able to peacefully pass away, free from pain, with my father with her.

I've been focusing a bit more on running recently, including going out to the track to do intervals. I've done one set each in the previous two weeks, and I'm going to try to keep making it a weekly thing. I'm also adding into the mix a few other challenging workouts:

-one long run, building each week from the current 60 minutes to 90 minutes, eventually. Maybe more than 90 minutes once I get there, but I'm trying to run faster, not only longer, so I'm thinking about maxing the long run at 90 minutes

-one "lactate threshold" run, where I run at above my target pace for a sustained amount of time, steady state. So right now I'm doing it on the treadmill and I've started out at 8:00 min pace for a 20 minute segment excluding warm up and cool down; each week I'll add 2 minutes to the segment and increase the pace by just a few seconds

-one interval workout, which is now running to the track and then doing 4x800, working my way up to 8x800, and then possibly mixing it up by doing a blend of shorter and longer distances, like 12x400, or 3x1200, or some combination of something else

-one shorter "long" run each week, at 75% of the length of my long run but slightly faster in the pace, so this week I'll start out at 45 minutes

-a hill workout, eventually, where I do repeats up some brutal hill

-"fartlek" runs where I alter the pace every few minutes and include moments of running substantially faster than my goal pace

That's too many hard workouts to do in one week, so my goal is to do 3-4 of those every week, prioritizing the long run, the interval workout, and the lactate threshold workout

Gym this morning: weighted pullups included 70x3, 45x8, 45x5, 25x9, 25x6, bwx13; also did inc db press, weighted dips, a variety of rows, rear delt flies, some tricep stuff, and about 10 minutes of core work, mostly planks. Pretty beat when it was all over.

Bought tix yesterday to see the Rolling Stones again! :D Flying out to Kansas City to do it, which kills a couple of birds with one stone since it's a city we've never visited and it's been on my list for a while, plus while we're there for the long weekend we'll see parts of three states we've never been in--KS, NE, and IA. By the end of the year I'll have been in every US state, an ambition of mine since I was about 7.

Also, got an unexpected raise at work and even better it apparently raises my "grade" in a way that means I immediately qualify for an additional 8 days of annual leave. Had that not happened I would have gradually gained those days at the rate of one day a year. :spaz:

So, a lot to be thankful for this week in many ways. A lot of gratitude for my health as well as the love of my family. But the superficial things like travel and having additional financial security and opportunity to do things we like, that's very appreciated too.

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm glad your step mother was able to die pain free and peacefully with your dad by her side. Still, it's sad.

On a MUCH lighter note. I've seen the Stones about five times, I have to think about it, but my first show was in 1981 when I was working at my first job after college. They toured the USA starting in Philly at the now demolished JFK Stadium. They were old, in their mid 30's and I figured this would be my last chance to see them. C'mon how much longer would they be around playing? :lol: I got tickets, which was a feat in itself, and took a day off of work with a co-worker and my sister to see them. I'll still never forget the look on my manager's face when I told him the reason I was taking a vacation day. Journey and George Thorogood and the Delaware Destroyers were the two opening acts. First song was Under My Thumb. The final encore was Street Fighting Man. I remember that vividly, but couldn't tell you what I had for lunch two days ago. :rolleyes: I also saw them later that fall at Madison Square Garden. Pretty much the same set list.

That's very cool that you'll have visited all 50 states.

4. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I think the Stones concert we saw started with Get Off My Cloud and closed with Satisfaction. It was just a few years ago so I'm curious what it will be this time.

So, I've reached the point where my momentum has run out a little bit and my motivation is slacking. I did reach the goal I set at the beginning of all of this, which was to lose 11cm from my abdomen, so I'm happy about that. I honestly have no idea how much leaner I have to get before the rest of the fat there disappears. I measured myself this morning and despite a horrible eating week and some skipped workouts I'm down another .5cm. The abdomen is basically all fat, so I'm not worried I'm just getting skinny fat as long as I steadily lose there, but it's a total mystery to me whether I need to lose another 3cm? 5? 9?

Well, whatever! I had a pretty good eating day today and will be back on track with nutrition for a little while until we leave for vacation a week from tomorrow. I think I'm okay with the risk that I'll back slide a little bit until we return from vacation, and when we do I'll go about setting entirely new goals then.

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Congrats on reaching your goal.

6. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks!

Things definitely have slowed down for me. But the good news is that while I might not have my A game right now, I have maybe a B or B+ game, and I'm mostly avoiding getting into really terrible habits.

We leave for a week's vacation on Tuesday where I don't expect to have access to a lot of healthy food or opportunities to work out, so I'm just not going to worry about it. I'll deal with it when I come back.

I had a good session at the gym yesterday and followed it up by running 10 miles in 1:22, getting very close to an even 8:00/mile pace for that distance. I do hope to do ten miles in under 1:20, and once I've achieved that goal I'll probably increase the mileage to do 11 miles in under 1:30, then under 1:25 if I'm able.

7. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Didn't realize you were so fast. I can no longer read your blog. :) Do you think your recent weight loss made you faster?

Have a great vacation.

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Wowza, that's fast.

Enjoy your vacation!

9. macdiver

Bronze Member

That is fast. 8 min pace would probably be a Boston Qualifying time in a marathon.

10. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Time to crank this sucker up again. Been an interesting 3.5 years, some good and some bad. In control of my health and fitness again, but this is getting harder and harder as I age. Mind was boggling to see how fast I was running just four years ago. Damn! Not sure if I'll work my way up to that this time or not.

Some things have changed: used to be a vegetarian, now I'm a vegan going on more than 3 years of that. I love almost everything about it, but it's damn near impossible to eat lots and lots of lean protein without lots of fat/carbs coming along for the ride.

Been living a healthier lifestyle for about 8 weeks now, and only started taking measurements and photographs this week. I can feel clothes are looser and fitting better, so that's a plus. Goal is to lose 2-3" inches off of the fattest part of my abdomen, hoping to accomplish this by mid-May.

Some fun times coming up: Thanksgiving and the following weekend in Victoria (AirBnB has a gym though :bb: ), Japan in February to visit my brother and his family, and not sure what else after that. I'm going to keep things steady as they go with workouts until after Christmas then I'll switch it up by lifting a lot heavier with fewer reps. I've been stretching and foam rolling regularly, journaling and sleeping pretty well too.

Hopefully good things will follow.

11. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

i remember you. The Big Lebowski. :) Good to hear you are doing good. Good luck on reaching your goal.

12. macdiver

Bronze Member

:wave:

13. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks! I'm working on it (as always). Have you seen the Big Lebowski yet?

Hello!

A good set of workouts this weekend--getting more reps with weighted dips and pullups which is always one of the most satisfying things to do. Looming in front of me today is a run that could be as long as 110 minutes. Not sure if I'm quite up for that but I'll give it a shot. Want to head into this weekend's travels with a lot of momentum so I can keep that up while I'm away.

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice to see you posting again and I hope your run went well.

15. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Yes I have, it was very good. After you wrote that, I was trying to remember who was a star in that movie besides John Goodman. I could picture the guy in my mind, but couldn't remember his name, and refused to do a google search. I remembered it was Jeff Bridges about 4 hours later. :( On the bright side, at least I remembered (eventually).

I agree, though I have never done weighted dips or weighted pull ups (yet). But now I can do unassisted chin ups, and I agree, it is the most satisfying thing I do in the gym.

16. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Seltzer and macdiver like this.
  17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
  18. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I might be catching a cold--first time I can remember having one in almost six years so I can't avoid this forever. But ugh! Have been in an AirBnB for the last three nights and it's harder to sleep when it's not in my own bedroom, probably has something to do with it.

The AirBnB has a small fitness room so I was able to do a workout with dumbbells yesterday even if the dumbbells weren't very heavy. For the last three days I got some runs in, too: 60, 90, and 30 minutes. Today, I doubt I'll run but it depends how I feel later in the afternoon.

I got a FitBit last week after reaching one of my milestone goals and I'm getting used to using it. I mainly wanted it so I can measure my sleep and heart rate, so after a few weeks I'll see what the data tell me about that.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

19. macdiver

Bronze Member

Good job getting workouts in while traveling. It is to easy to use travel as an excuse to skip workouts.

20. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I have a Garmin that tracks the same thing. I don't know how to make sleep changes based on the info (increase deep sleep), but I like having the information.