1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Vegetarian Fury!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by ianmez, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Back on Track

Back on Track Active Member

Thanks for reading my journal.

And congrats for being a vegan! I tried, but my instincts are stronger than my reason, and every time I stopped eating meat, I started getting really aggressive (I know it's weird).

EDIT: By the way, what are good sources of proteins in vegetables? I'd like to put some of them in my diet.

#61 Back on Track, Feb 20, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  2. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

No worries, I find it quite inspiring.

Non-dairy foods with some protein:

• edamame (soy, sort of like peas in a pod...mmmm)
    • tofu
    • beans
    • chickpeas
    • lentils
    • almonds, peanuts, peanut butter, etc
    • other vegetables like broccoli have a decent amount of protein relative to their total calories per serving

One thing about getting protein through plant foods and legumes, though, is that you often get a lot of carbs (beans) or fat (nuts) along with the not huge amount of protein. So if you were shooting for 1g protein/1 lb of bodyweight, you'd have a tough time getting all of it from just these sources without eating lots and lots of calories.

That's why a lot of my protein comes from dairy sources. I get roughly 60-90 g per day from protein powder, which is a whey/casein/soy blend. I also get a bunch from eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, and milk. I think I may have read that you're trying to cut back on dairy? I'm afraid that's something I just can't manage in my own diet, but good on ya.

3. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Day 48

My workout today was weird. Chest sucked. I thought I'd bump up in inc db press but failed to put it up. No big deal, really, so I moved back down to what I lifted last week. Didn't get that up, either. So I dropped another 5 lbs and felt pretty weak with it. When it came to db flat bench, I deliberately dialed it down 5 lbs from last week. I could lift it, but it felt weak and I didn't get as many reps as expected. I could barely manage the pushups at the end of my workout...I had been working my way up to doing 100 (not just in one set) and couldn't even knock out 50 today.

Yet, the back portion was awesome. I did more pull ups, had big gains on T-bar row, and did more chin ups.

I figured if I was weak because I was just plain tired or haven't been eating enough it would have affected both chest and back. It was like I was two different people when I changed exercises. I can't account for it.

Anyway, more clean eating:

1. .5 c oats, .75 c frozen blueberries, 2 Tbsp flaxseed
    2. 1 c 2% cottage cheese, .5 c pumpkin, 1.75 c snow peas
    3. Milk/protein/fruit smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB
    4. Eggs with spinach and mushroom, beets
    5. Almond milk/protein/fruit smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB

I'm hoping to run tomorrow during the Villanova-Pitt game but that's usually the time we do our shopping. So I might have to miss it and then tackle a mountain of schoolwork. I think the preferred plan is to wake up early, do a quick hour of work, plan the meals, do the shopping, go back to the books and then use the run as a break.

Even though today's chest workout was the first one in weeks where I was a bit disappointed, I'm loving that I'm looking forward to working out each day. On days where I don't run I miss running and on days when I don't lift I miss lifting.

I've got about 3 and a half weeks of hell left this quarter before I'm student teaching full-time. It'll be nice to not have six courses anymore, but I'm not really digging my student teaching experience, either.

Oh, I ran into someone I knew at the gym today. He was a professor in a class I took a year ago. He invited me out next Monday night, and of course there's no room in my diet for beer for the moment. Decisions, decisions. I might not have the time, anyway.

Here are today's macros:
    [​IMG]

4. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Day 49, 7 weeks in the bank

I spent more time than I wanted to on schoolwork, but that still wasn't enough time to finish everything I needed. I'll have busy days all this week and unfortunately through next weekend, too.

One thing that did get done today was my "science inquiry project." I'm 34 and I spent the afternoon seeing if ice cubes of the same volume melted at different speeds depending on their shape. They do. Surface area ftw.

One thing that wasn't done today was activating my new gym membership. I got it at Costco for $300, which includes tax, initiation fees and all monthly dues for the next 24 months. $12.50 a month is the best deal in town as far as I can figure it. But I have to take it in to a 24 Hour Fitness to activate it and get a proper membership card. I took it to the one closest to me so I can have my card and everything all set for when I roll in there at 6 or so in the morning this week...and it was closed. At 730 pm. 24 hours, my ass. But that was also the "Express" version of the gym and not the location I planned on going to. But it still chapped me.

After the nonevent at the gym I went to the supermarket with my wife and nearly had a moment of weakness. Thank goodness there are social pressures that prevent us (well, most of us) from ripping open cartons of ice cream in the grocery store aisle and scooping it out with our fingers. Because, man, I was ready to do it. I left without buying anything unhealthy and had a protein and fruit smoothie when we got home.

I got my run in this afternoon and cruised through 75 minutes (P90x Ab Ripper X DVD, too). It was the longest I've run in 3.5 years, unfortunately. For the last part of the run I caught most of the 2nd period of the USA/Canada hockey. I was riveted. Few penalties, few stoppages in general, and hardly any commercials. The end of the period was non-stop action, too, with a goal by the good guys :whistle: and a series of 3 consecutive breakaways, all of which were shut down.

Because of the extra running I thought maybe I should add some additional calories, so tonight I had an almond milk/protein shake (w/o PB or fruit) and made a concoction of oats, natural PB, and 1 Tsp of honey. The honey seemed positively decadant and it's the first time I've consciously added sugar to anything in 7 weeks.

I think 1 Tsp honey still fits in my clean eating:nod:

2. 1 c 2% cottage cheese, 1.5 c broccoli
    3. Almond milk/protein/fruit smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB
    4. Goat cheese and tarragon omelets w/chives, sauteed zucchini and red pepper
    5. Almond milk/protein/fruit smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB
    6. .25 c oats, 1 Tbsp natural PB, 1 Tsp organic honey; Almond milk/protein shake

Macros here:

[​IMG]

I can't make it to the gym tomorrow morning in time to commute to the school on the Eastside that I've got to get to, so I'm going to switch up tomorrow and Tuesday. Run tomorrow; legs Tues.

5. dbfield

dbfield Active Member

Nice run! The weather was perfect for it! I enjoyed my run yesterday in the sun. I used to go to the 24 hour fitness up in Shoreline, I think it is called 24 hour sport. Good luck!

6. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

If you mean the one on Ballenger sort of on the Shoreline/Mountlake Terrace boundary right off of I-5, that's the one I'm joining. Gonna hit it tomorrow morning for legs, in fact.

My new kitchen scale arrived today. I didn't measure everything, but I did break it out to measure the fruit I put in my protein smoothies. As it turns out, I was pretty dead on with the amount of fruit I put in each day. So excess fructose isn't the culprit behind the mystery of why my weight hasn't dropped much even though I'm allegedly running a largeish caloric deficit. I'll keep checking foods periodically. I'm thinking the most likely explanation is I'm not burning as many calories as the calculator says I am. I tried being conservative, maybe I just wasn't conservative enough.

No matter, I'm still doing well enough I think. Now that my bodyfat calipers and myotape have arrived, I decided I'm going to take weekly measurements.

So, here they are:

Bicep: 34.5cm
    Thigh: 52.5 cm
    Belly: 81.5 cm
    Chest: 90cm
    Neck: 37cm

Weight: 150

Bodyfat: I'm supposedly 14.01% per the calipers and 16% according the the US Navy neck/waist formula. I'm not sure, really. And I don't care that much except it will be nice if I can take consistent measurments to see trends and have some insight into weather I'm losing/maintaning/gaining LBM.

It's hard to compare my measurements to the previous two times because I'm now using the much superior myotape. But all indications are that I'm still getting leaner and that makes me happy. In two weeks I'll take pictures again, and then I should have 3 sets of data to compare for 3 weeks in a row. I'll also have 3 sets of pictures to compare, as well as my scale weight taken on day 0, day 22, day 43, day 50, day 57, and day 64. I can roughly compare the tape measurements to the pre-myotape measurements, too.

Today's workout was an easy 60 minute run. It feels great to be able to say "easy 60 minute run." Running felt so good tonight that I'm wondering if I might want to start sneaking some runs in during lifting days, too. Provided I eat enough, of course.

Speaking of that, I really, truly am trying to get a few more calories in. I think I do better when I stay closer to maintenance rather than trying to run a big deficit. I can tolerate a fair number of low calorie days, but I'm trying to do better about not stringing a bunch of them together. I want to be fueled and ready to roll when I hit the weights.

Today marked my 50th consecutive day of clean eating:

2. 11oz protein drink, 1 c carrots
    3. 6oz Chobani Greek yogurt, .5 c cucumbers, 1.5 c broccoli
    4. Almond milk, fruit and protein smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB
    5. Goat cheese and tarragon omelet, sauteed red pepper and zucchini w/chives
    6. .25 c oats, 1 Tbsp natural PB, 1 Tsp organic honey
    7. Almond milk, fruit, and protein smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB

Macros: [​IMG]

7. dbfield

dbfield Active Member

The one that I was talking about is on 155th or so on Aurora, behind the Taco Bell. The one in Ballenger is nice as well. Good luck.

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Just caught up around here. You're doing great and it's evident in the progress pictures that you took.

9. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

:claphigh:

It is funny, that people think of vegetarians as eating healthy, but the two don't necessarily go hand and hand. I used to have a woman working for me that was Hindu, therefore a vegetarian, yet she had a weight problem. :confused:

How lean are you trying to get?

10. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

I think they may have shuttered that one. I used to belong to the Bally's at 130th and Aurora, but that closed last fall. So Ballenger it is.

Thanks! And welcome back.

I get mixed reactions about vegetarianism. Some people tend to think it's probably healthier than it is (I think it's about as healthy as you make it) and others like to ask me where I get my protein. There's a great cartoon I've seen where a group of really unhealthy-looking people ask some fit vegetarians, "Yeah, but where do you get your protein?"

I have a Hindu acquaintance who is quite overweight...when I met her she told me that she was a vegetarian...who doesn't eat vegetables. :doh:

I haven't decided yet. I'm going to start by trying to get rid of these love handles. If my scale weight falls below 140, that's going to be my first signal to see whether I want stop the cutting and try a bulk.

If the bodyfat of 15% is at all accurate, I think I can get down to 140 and be very happy with how I look. If I figure if 2/3 of the weight I lose is fat and 1/3 is LBM (does that sound conservative enough?), then if I hit 140, I should have around 124lbs of LBM for a bodyfat of around 9%. I haven't lost weight very quickly so far (which actually is great IMO since I'm stronger and appear to be leaner) so it could take me quite a while to do this.

If my actual bodyfat is considerably higher than last night's measurements indicate, maybe I'll have to reconsider when I get to 140 whether I want to bulk to 150 or 155 again and then do another cut. Actually, I'd probably like to do that anyway, but what I'd really like is to be able to get rid of this belly fat entirely on this cut before I start to bulk.

Time will tell.

11. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Day 51.

I got up this morning and did legs before school. I don't have the same intensity with legs that I do with the rest of my lifting. I can tell I still fear hurting my back. I can live with that on deadlifts as I get comfortable making sure my form is excellent. But with squats, I'd like to push myself more.

I didn't really push myself with squats this morning because I couldn't get on the good squat rack when I wanted it. I settled for the cage looking thing with just one set of small pegs to rack the weight bar...I didn't have the comfort level I wanted to push myself until I was shaky and queasy. I felt like I had to be sure that I could get every rep safely back up on the pegs because there would be no plan B if I couldn't get the last one up. So, no lifting to failure. Next time I'll be sure to stake a claim on that other rack. Even if one of the personal trainers and his client seem to be taking about half an hour to do three sets of shoulder shrugs on it. Whatever.

Big calorie day for me today...almost pushing 2000. But this evening I wanted to run so I did 60 minutes worth. I thought I should add an extra meal in there somewhere.

All up for today, workouts were deadlifts, squats, lunges, and 60 minute run.

More clean eating:

1. .5 c oats, .4 c frozen blueberries, 2 Tbsp flaxseed
    2. PWO 11oz protein drink, .25 c oats, 1 Tbsp natural PB, 1 tsp organic honey
    3. 1 c carrots, 1 c 2% cottage cheese, 5.5 oz broccoli
    4. Almond milk/protein/fruit smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB
    5. Egg/tofu scramble w/ half an avocado and .5 c grape tomatoes
    6. Almond milk/protein/fruit smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB

Macros:

[​IMG]

Two stressful days of student teaching ahead. I'm looking forward to Thursday evening for sure.

12. dbfield

dbfield Active Member

Looks like a successful day! Good luck on getting the normal squat rack next time.

Where are you student teaching at?

13. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'm gonna stalk that thing to make sure.

I had trouble sleeping last night, so this morning's planned run was a no-go. I got it in tonight instead. 60 easy minutes running.

More clean eating:

2. 11oz protein drink, 1 c carrots
    3. 6 oz Chobani Greek yogurt, 1.5 c broccoli, apple
    4. eggs, tofu, .5 avocado, .5 c grape tomatoes
    5. almond milk, fruit, protein smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB

Macros: [​IMG]

Definitely a low-cal day today, but tomorrow I should be up again. I also don't think it can hurt all that much to have a lot of variation in my calories as long as I'm not overeating and not going hungry. My waist is definitely smaller than it used to be, although I don't know how much progress has come recently. Certainly there's been progress in the last 4 weeks.

One more day with the 2nd graders this week and then it's back into my coursework. I feel like guy with 2 lives. When I'm student teaching I completely push all of my coursework to the back of my mind and then do the opposite on days I have classes. I can't wait for this split-personality thing to end in 3 weeks when I start having a normal schedule.

14. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

I think I might be starting to wear down a little bit. This morning I got to the gym by 630, but my workout sucked. This is my second crappy workout out of the last 3, if I include the chest half of the chest/back workout last weekend. I regressed in shoulders and bis, although I did crank out more dips than I had done in the past.

I shouldn't be too surprised, since I had a low calorie day yesterday, I've slept poorly all week, and I've been increasing the frequency and length of my runs. This was bound to happen.

So I'll keep an eye on myself and make an effort to shake things up a little bit. I'd love to get more sleep, and I don't plan on having too many low calorie days. Also, I think it might be time to vary my workout plan, so I'm thinking that on Saturday I'll begin a push/pull split and lift every 3rd day instead of every other day.

I got in my car and headed for the school and realized I had forgotten my lunch...and along with it, my PWO meal. Man, I was pissed. So I stopped at a Safeway along the way and scored some carrots, Greek Yogurt, an apple, and an Odwalla drink. I didn't really want the Odwalla drink since it's loaded with sugar, but it was about the healthiest thing I could find, and some sugar wasn't all that bad--it was a PWO meal.

I feel like I'm burning the candle at both ends with school. More sleep would definitely be welcome.

Other than the Odwalla, today's eating was all good. Another clean day:

2. Odwalla Protein Monster drink
    3. 1 c carrots, 8 oz Voskos Greek yogurt, apple
    4. 7oz tofu, red pepper and spicy peanut sauce
    5. Almond milk/fruit/protein smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB

Macros:
    [​IMG]

I've missed only 2 days in the last 8 weeks, so giving myself a very light week might be a good idea. I think I'm going to plug away for another week or so first and see if things turn around before I make any changes. It's perfectly fine to have a subpar workout now and then, especially when I'm tired and haven't eaten much the day before. But if it gets to mid March and I find myself regressing instead of gaining strength, I think rest is a good plan.

15. gbbrant

gbbrant Active Member

Hey man just a thought but maybe you are feeling a little weaker because you are not getting good recovery due to lack of sleep? I wish the best of luck bro.

16. dbfield

dbfield Active Member

:claplow:

I hope that you are able to get your sleep figured out! That makes all the world of a difference!

Good luck figuring out your workout plan. It is always fun trying out new workout. I am doing that now, and I had forgotten what DOMS felt like..;)

Nice going on making good decisions on the food when you forgot to bring yours, this is where I always seem to get in trouble.

Again, I hope you are able to get your sleep back up to normal.

Take care and good luck on accomplishing your fitness goals!!

17. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Thanks. And I hope you're right. I'm busy as hell right now and my sleep is suffering, but that's at least something that I can work to improve.

Me too, thanks! 8 solid hours last night. :nod:

Thanks! I can tell things are going well for me when my reaction in Safeway is "Ugh, where are all the healthy foods?" instead of coming up with rationalizations why it's okay to eat something outside of my plan.

18. livedog

livedog Well-Known Member

I hate it when that happens! The other day I forgot to pack my shake, but also my shorts! I had to stop and buy a pair on the way to the gym.

I remember my wife feeling that way while doing her student teaching. It is like having two full-time jobs, but the good news is it doesn't last forever.

19. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Are you going to become a grade school teacher? Teaching a class of 2nd graders must be tough.

I can tell you really eat healthy, when an Odwalla drink is considered unhealthy. If I scan what other people have in their supermarket carts, an Odwalla drink would be the healthiest thing in their cart.

20. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Now that's dedication.

That's just what I need to hear, thanks. I'm counting the days down until June already.

That's the plan, yep. And, yes, I think it's very tough. Hopefully I'll get much better at it!

:lol: I must be pretty far down the rabbit hole when I'm complaining about having to drink Odwalla.