1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Vegetarian Fury!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by ianmez, Jan 23, 2010.

1. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    I think the West Virginia team was slightly over-rated at #4, and Pitt rose to the occasion, much like Penn did against Cornell last night. I've been "following" college basketball for the first time this year, and while I'm not at the level where I can talk intelligently about individual players yet, I can at least seem like I know something about the nationally top ranked teams as well as a few "sleepers" (at least here in the A-10 conference).

2. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

I didn't think it was a big upset either, especially since it was played at Pitt. I was so excited about the game that I replayed it last night on ESPN360...which meant I got to bed at 130.

That probably wasn't the brightest idea, since I was pretty tired from the week. I slept in and today felt sort of like a wasted day. For a lot of the day I felt hungry, which is an odd feeling. For one of the first times I felt cravings for unclean food. But, I held fast.

Today's meals:

1. .5 c oats, .75 c frozen blueberries, 2 Tbsp flaxseed
    2. 1 medium yam, 1.25 c broccoli, 1 c 2% cottage cheese
    3. Almond milk/fruit/protein smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB
    4. 15 oz lentil soup
    5. Almond milk/protein smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB

The macros:
    [​IMG]

Today's workout was the Ab Ripper X DVD from P90x plus a 35 minute run. I was debating whether to make today's run an hour or not, but my wife and I wanted to go out and do something tonight, so I opted for the shorter run. I'll shoot for 60 minutes on Monday. Maybe even tomorrow if I have the time; but I don't think I will.

Tomorrow my plan is to check out LA Fitness and see if I can get a 1 week trial membership. I don't think it's really the gym I want to join, but I'll give it a look. I think I'll end up at 24 Hour Fitness because of its location and the fact that I can pay month to month.

Tomorrow's also the day we go to a friend's birthday party and then have dinner with other friends. We're bringing a fruit salad for dessert so I know I won't get into trouble that way. I'm thinking about bringing other stuff, too--just some fresh vegetables. I won't stress about what I eat but I'd rather have clean food than unclean food.

Today was day 41. It's been 3 weeks since I've kept this journal and so far it's been useful. I really do think it's helped me stay on track. I haven't missed a meal or a workout since.

It's motivating to know that people are watching. :eek:

3. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    We're watching... oh yes, my friend... we're watching.
    In fact, Ecrivain is watching you now.

I'm guessing 250 calories for the Ab Ripper and 500 calories for the run... which means you netted out around 1000 calories for the day. You gotta eat, my man... that hunger and "craving" for unclean food was a warning shot fired across the bow by your body... feed me!

LA Fitness will definitely give you a trial week, although you'll get the hard sell. We get a postcard in the mail with a free offer like that just about once a month. Their bread and butter (at least at my local one) are the classes (and in other locations, the pool). Make sure you tell them that those are things that you don't really need and that you plan to check out another gym after your trial week unless they make it really attractive for you to join.

4. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

I'm not quite sure how to think about this. I've been estimating my calorie needs using this calculator, which factors in my activity. According to that calculator, I need between 2400 and 2500 calories per day to maintain my weight. If I take in 1600 calories each day, I'll have a deficit.

I'm skeptical of the whole method of using a formula like that to actually give me my actual caloric needs. I see it as a guideline that I'll need to refine through experience. Tomorrow should help me figure out where I am with it. In the first 3 weeks of my cutting, I lost 4 pounds. That's just over a pound a week, which suggests that something isn't quite right with the formula. Since my food log says I eat about 1400-1700 calories most days (and I've seen that I've even come in below this sometimes), I should be losing 2 pounds a week.

There are a few possibilities, I think:
    • I'm eating more calories than I think I am
    • I'm burning fewer calories than I think I am
    • The formula does an overall poor job estimating my BMR

Tomorrow I weigh myself again, so I'll see what happens. It's been 3 weeks since my last weigh-in. If I've dropped 6 pounds in that time, then I'd say that everything is pretty accurate. But if I've dropped less, I'll have to wonder which bit of this whole thing is off. I suspect that I in fact take in more calories than I think. I don't think it's a massive number, though.

Yesterday was one of the first days that I felt cravings or hunger. I attribute it at least as much to sleeping in (and essentially missing 2 meals that I would have ordinarily had by that point in the day) than eating way below what I need. But I'm definitely open to the possibility that I could be way off on all of this. It's not in the plan to starve myself.

LA Fitness told me they weren't offering trial weeks right now. Just 24 hour trial passes. Lame. The club is nice, but I'm guessing it's more than I want to pay. I don't want to use anything except the free weights, the dip/pull up bars, and maybe one or two of the Hammer Strength machines. I'll wait for them to hassle me and sooner or later they'll offer me a free week (I'm guessing) and maybe I'll give them another look.

The good news is that I had a solid chest/back workout this morning. I moved up in weights again in both incline db and flat db bench and felt strong doing a few sets of pullups. I was able to do some back exercises I can't do at home (T-bar, rows on the Hammer Strength machine) and I finished up with 80 pushups (spread over 3 sets) and some chin ups. I want to do bent over rows, but I'm nervous because of back surgery that's still a recent memory.

I am dying to do legs in an actual gym so Tuesday morning I might have to scramble around to make something work. I have class at 9am, so I'm not sure if I can get in early enough to get a workout in and deal with the membership BS at any other gym I try.

I think I made it through the day just fine with my eating. I had nothing except for 2 tiny pieces of raw asparagus at the birthday party. For dinner, our friends cooked angel hair spaghetti with a marinara sauce that had sun dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, and summer squash. They also made collard greens :eat: I made a fruit salad for dessert with apples, bananas, Asian pears, blueberries, starfruit, kiwifruit, currants, and cashews. Good stuff. I'm estimating dinner was close to 600 calories. I felt SO full after even though I didn't have huge portions of anything.

So, today's nutrition:

2. Apple, 1 c 2% cottage cheese, 1.25 c broccoli
    3. Protein, fruit, and natural PB smoothie
    4. Massive dinner: pasta and sauce w/veggies, collard greens, fruit salad
    5. Protein, almond milk, fruit, and natural PB smoothie

Macros:

[​IMG]

Today was day 42. That means weigh in, measurements, and pics tomorrow. It also means that I get to make changes to my routine, since I had hoped to do those every three weeks. Not quite sure what's in store since I've already taken action on a few (begin to cut down on sodium; add more healthy fats; increase distance of runs; begin to check out gyms). Maybe I should just count all those changes for this time and wait until I start to plateau to make more changes.

I'm a little nervous for tomorrow. I'm hoping for a weight loss of no less than 2 pounds and no more than 5 since the last weigh in. I've deliberately tried not to put too much emphasis on the weigh ins, but it is a measure of progress.

#44 ianmez, Feb 14, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  5. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Pictures, measurements, etc

Okay, day 43 is here. That means measurement day.

Puzzling results today.

Weight 2/15: 152
    Weight 1/25: 151

Belly 2/15: 83.5 cm
    Belly 1/25: 86.5 cm

Thigh 2/15: 56 cm
    Thigh 1/25: 53.5 cm

Bicep 2/15: 36 cm
    Bicep 1/25: 35 cm

Chest 2/15: 96 cm
    Chest 1/25: 96 cm

Pictures:

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Thank God I took pictures, since otherwise I wouldn't be able to make heads nor tails out of this. I think there are a few problems with what I'm doing. First, I'm inconsistent with how I take measurements. Could my thigh really have grown 2.5 cm in 3 weeks? That's nuts. I think next time I take measurements I'm going to take pictures of how I do them so I can see exactly what I'm doing when I do it. Second, I wonder if there's value in weekly weigh-ins. Having more data points would make it easier to work out the trends. After yesterday's carb and sodium laden day, I'm not terribly surprised that I'm retaining water. But to gain a pound in 3 weeks? My belly is 3 cm flatter and the pictures seem (to me at least) to suggest that I'm getting leaner.

Anyway, I'm confused. I'll take a while to think about this. In the meantime, I ordered a Myotape and bodyfat calipers this weekend. They should arrive in a week or so. Maybe that will help me make more sense out of things.

6. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Here's the Day 43 nutrition/workout update:

2. 1oz almonds
    3. 1.25 c broccoli, 1 c 2% cottage cheese, 1 c fruit salad
    4. Pumpkin/EAS Protein/Almond milk smoothie (Epic Smoothie Fail IMO)
    5. Mushroom frittata & .75 c baked yam
    6. Protein & fruit smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB

The macros:

[​IMG]

Today's workout: P90x Ab Ripper X DVD and 60 minute run. At the 30 minute mark I increased the speed by .1mph each minute for the next 20 minutes and by the end it was a real challenge. This week I'm planning to up my other runs to 40 minutes. I think I'll give myself at least 2 weeks at 40 minutes for the "non-long" runs before I increase the length of my long run. It's an open question how long I'll make the long run, ultimately. The goal as I see it now is to be able to build enough of a base that I can incorporate some speed work into my running. For the time being it's just LISS or I bump up the speed at some point in my run, but it's nothing like an honest-to-goodness speed workout.

In my mind's eye I imagine doing 3 to 4 runs a week (I alternate running and lifting, so I run every other day). One run would be the long run, which would gradually increase in time, another run would be a run designed to boost my lactate threshold, so I might run at 90% of my race pace or more for 25 minutes of a 40 minute run, for example, and the third run would be intervals, where I'd run above my race pace for shorter distances and monitor my rest in between. If I have a 4th run that week I'd just use it as an easy run and keep it totally as LISS.

But I don't want to get into any of this right away. Strictly speaking it's not necessary to what I'm doing. I just like the challenge and enjoy being cardiovascularly fit. And I'd love to get in some races again. I miss them. But it seems to me like they just got so damn expensive in the last five years, so that sort of cuts back on my enthusiasm.

I also have given some thought to what changes I'd like to make in this next three weeks. In addition to cutting sodium and adding timee to my runs, I'm going to commit to doing stretching and foam roller/lacrosse ball work every day. Oh, and I'm going to give up showers that last longer than 5 minutes for Lent.

7. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Day 44

I tried out 24 Fitness today. Again, no 1 week trial membership. Lame. They even wanted to charge me to work out today ($10!) but when I got ready to walk out the door, the guy said, "Go ahead and work out today since you already filled out the waiver..."

So I did.

The 24 Fitness location nearest my house is a "24 Hour Fitness Express, which really means, "no locker rooms, no showers, and hardly any free weights." Since today was legs day, that was sort of a bummer. I knew they didn't have showers, but I didn't realize the free weight situation would be as dire as it was: no squat rack, and exactly one Olympic barbell in the joint (that went along with the one of the two benches). They did, however, have a few EZ Curl bars and a weight tree next to a Smith Machine. I deadlifted with the EZ Curl bar. That was fine for me since I'm essentially starting from scratch here. I have to admit I'm scared about injuring my back so I'm probably doing less than I can. I want to be a master at the technique before I add weight. After several weeks I think I'll be less tentative. The deads were a success and I did approach a point where they were getting pretty tough; I just was afraid to really go all out.

I had to settle for the Smith machine for squats. Meh. But, it was okay considering I had been doing dumbbells in my basement just last week.

I moved on to lunges and I moved up in weight from last time. I really hate doing them at the end of my workout. Man, they wear me out. Nothing makes me feel more out of shape than lunges.

There's another 24 Fitness location about 7 miles north of this one...I'll try there on Thursday. That's a full-on gym, or so I'm led to believe. Honestly, my needs are pretty simple. But if it has what I'm looking for, I'll probably join. From Costco I can purchase a 2 year membership for $300, which is $12.50/mo and without any other initiation fees. That's a good deal.

I may hold off because I'll try a few more gyms, but I'm not sure yet.

Another day of clean eating:

2. Protein drink, 1 c carrots
    3. 1.25 c broccoli, 1 c fresh fruit salad, 1 c 2% cottage cheese
    4. PWO protein/fruit smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB
    5. Tofu/snow pea/mushroom/pepper stir fry w/natural PB/tamari sauce
    6. Almond milk/Protein/Fruit smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB

Macros:

[​IMG]

8. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Hey... just checking in with some thoughts...

1) I checked out the calculator, and I think it's giving higher activity numbers than it should. I plugged my typical day (8 hours sleeping, 15.5 hours very light activity, .5 hour moderate activity) and it gave me 1850 for the BMR and 750 for the activity, a total of 2600 calories per day. Subtracting 1000 calories per day (two pounds per week weight loss) would give me 1600 calories per day, which is probably too low. I know the BMR number is right, but I also know I don't burn 750 calories in a half hour on the stationary bike (more like 275) or even running (more like 450). So my guess is that's part of the problem.

2) The second part of your question is the over-estimating of your intake. Very easy to do, and I've read that the majority of people over-estimate by 10% to 25%. The only way to correct this is to measure EVERYTHING as precisely as possible. Using a food scale instead of cups/spoons/etc. is very helpful here... rather than relying on the serving size, you can use the gram weight on the nutrition facts panel of a package. I'll go as far as to take a package of raisins, for example, and divide it up by weight, and then cross-check that I provisioned the same number of servings as the package indicates.

3) Your data could probably be improved in two ways. First off, you're not measuring body fat, and it's very possible that you have lost fat and gained muscle, even to the point that your scale weight has gone up. Second of all, I agree that you need more data points to get a better picture. I take my measurements every day, then average the whole week, and use that to gauge my progress.

9. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

All really good points.

1. The BMR numbers are just a mystery to me. I don't want to get too wrapped up in it, since I think the likelihood is high that these calculators are way off for many people. Sort of like the Max Heart Rate rule of 220 minus your age. I think the calculator I've been using is about as accurate as any of them, for that matter. It's frustrating to realize that I don't have any real idea yet of how many calories I use each day. But I also realize that over time I should be able to rely more on my own experience; the calculators are just a starting place. Having said all that, it's one reason I'm not getting too worried when my calorie count for the day shows me only at 1400 or so sometimes.

2. ...which leads me to this second point, which is that even when I say I'm eating 1400 calories in a day, it very well could be more. The best I can say for myself now is that I'm not lying to myself about the calories I take in. But that's not the same as ensuring that what I believe I'm taking in is actually what I'm taking in. So in order to make sure my intent matches reality, I ordered a kitchen scale today. I should have it by this time next week.

3. I agree with you about the BF measurements. Calipers and a superior tape are en route. I'm in a dilemma about whether to more regularly weigh/measure myself. I went into this with the attitude that the measurements I cared most about were the mirror/pictures, how my clothes fit, and how I felt. If I'm getting stronger, my clothes are fitting better, and I look better in the mirror, that's what matters the most.

But now I find I kind of enjoy what I'd otherwise thought of as the minutiae and tedium of fat loss: I'm actually looking forward to weighing my food and using bodyfat calipers. I can see myself going back and forth on this for a while. I can sum up my attitude best as "Trust the process and the results will take care of themselves." Since I can see doing all of these things as process improvement, I'm inclined to make room for them.

10. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Day 45

More clean eating:

1. .5 c oatmeal, .75 c frozen blueberries, 2 Tbsp flaxseed
    2. .5 c cucumber, 6oz Chobani Greek Yogurt, 1 c pumpkin, 1.5 c broccoli
    3. Protein & Fruit smoothie
    4. 1.25 c Tofu, snow peas, peppers, mushrooms stirfry w/ natural PB sauce
    5. Almond milk/protein/fruit smoothie w/ 1 Tbsp natural PB

Macros:

[​IMG]

Today's workout: P90x Ab Ripper X DVD and 60 minutes run

I'm gonna hit that foam roller hard tonight. My lower back is DOMS city from the dls yesterday and my hammys are sore, too. I might even break out the lacrosse ball :shudder:

11. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

I checked out another 24 Hour Fitness location today. This one was an actual, proper club. It had a reasonable free weights section and an equally large section with machines (that I didn't bother to really look at). It had 2 squat racks. I was there between about 11 and 12 and there were only about 5 or 6 people in the free weight section at any one time. According to the used car salesman membership consultant, there are usually no more than a dozen people in there even when it's busy. He attributed that to the gym being a little off the beaten path. That's cool, because it's convenient enough for me.

I had to fight a little bit to get a week's free pass, but I got it. :D I have a feeling I'll pick up a membership at Costco next week (2 yrs, $300 if my memory serves me correctly).

I did arms and shoulders today. I have to say it's my least favorite workout. I feel with shoulders I'm limited to press (which I like) and shrugs (fine, too) since any kind of raises make me wonder if my left arm might fall off right there on the gym floor. As far as bis and tris go, I think I have a bad attitude about them. I just don't think they're really that important. I have it stuck in my head for some reason that if it's not one of my primary lifts, it's not a big deal. I think of bis and tris existing mainly to help with other things. When it comes to triceps, I feel like they get work when I do chest and shoulder press, so all I do for them are dips (which I like).

Whenever it is that I feel myself start to stall, I think I might change from this 3 day split to a 2 day split where I do all the pushing on one day and all the pulling on the other. Then I'll do 2 days of running in between each lifting day and see how that goes for a while.

I did something dumb today--in one of my first sets of db shoulder presses I felt like it was tougher on my right side than my left. I had picked up two different size dumbbells. So, yeah.

Because I was at the gym instead of at home I did barbell curls instead of solely dumbbell curls. I'd say today I added reps but didn't push myself for any real strength gains. One thing I'd like to look into is a belt thing I can use to do weighted dips and pullups. I can see myself really getting a kick out of those in the not too distant future.

On the way home I stopped by the store for some mushrooms so I can make another mushroom frittata tonight. :drool:

12. ameer

ameer Active Member

Anyway, good job. You look leaner to me too. Good job. Keep up the good work!:bow:

13. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Body fat calipers and myotape arrived today. I think I'll begin taking weekly measurements, starting Monday night. I'll keep the pictures to every 3 weeks, still.

Today's nutrition:

1. .5 c oats, .75 c frozen blueberries, 2 Tbsp flaxseed, 6oz Chobani Greek Yogurt
    2. Protein drink, V8 (the last one :))
    3. 1.5 c snowpeas, 6oz Chobani Greek Yogurt, .5 c cucumbers, 1 c pumpkin
    4. Mushroom Frittata
    5. Almond milk/fruit/protein smoothie w/1Tbsp natural PB

Macros are here:

[​IMG]

I had to force myself not to run today. I seem to have (perhaps briefly) caught the running bug. I even flirted with the idea of training for an actual, long race later in the year. I'm just going to put that thought in the back of my mind for now.

14. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    There's a lovely marathon in Washington DC on October 31st that a few of us will be attending. :whistle:

15. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

If I thought I could get an entry into it I'd be totally interested. Well, that and I don't know what my job situation will be next year. But I'm keenly following everyone's training progress.

The Seattle marathon's about a month after that one...if I figure it takes about four months to train, that might be about right since I return from vacation in mid-July...:shifteyes:

Okay, I just read what I wrote. That's crazy talk.

#55 ianmez, Feb 19, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  16. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Even the longest journey starts with the first step. - PhillyDude

17. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

The same thing happens to me. I want to run in the Mohawk-Hudson River marathon in Albany on 10/10, but I am running in the NYC marathon on 11/7. Each year I write I will run in both (4 weeks apart), then I think, "Did I just write that"?:lol:

ianmez,
    How long have you been a vegetarian? I attempted to be one, I have given up beef, pork, lamb for years, but can't seem to give up chicken, turkey & fish yet.

I like to read what you eat, you have an interesting selection of foods.

18. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Dude, that's profound. I predict that in a few thousand years people will be, like, quoting that.

And I'm honestly going to keep thinking about whether I want to take on a marathon. It's a major time commitment. Big props to everyone out there who's running one this year!

The NYC Marathon would be fabulous. Four weeks apart sounds sort of crazy but pretty reasonable, too. You'll presumably be recovered from the first one but will still have the benefit of all the training you've done all year.

For just over five years. But I sporadically ate fish until last summer. I'm actually thinking of reintroducing fish into my diet. I don't necessarily miss it, but life was a lot easier when I could eat fish. Going out, especially, and it's obviously a great food for cutting.

Thanks...have you checked out caraway's journal? It's cool to hear my diet described as "interesting" since I see myself having lots of the same stuff over and over again. I do strive to have some variety in the dinner meal, but even that seems like a cycle of eggs, spinach, tofu, lentils, mushrooms, broccoli, and one or two other things. I'm looking forward to spring time when I can go to the farmer's markets and be inspired to use more fresh local ingredients.

19. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

There's a 10K option at the MCM too. Just sayin'. :whistle:

20. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Day 47 now behind me.

I'm getting excited about running again. I'm a strange type of runner because I do lots and lots of miles on a treadmill. I started this in the late 90s when I figured out that I could put the miles in on a treadmill without the shinsplints and stress fractures that haunted me in high school and any time I tried to get back into running after that.

I'd add outside runs on a pretty regular basis, too, especially in nicer weather. But then all of this ground to a halt when I injured my back. Step aside, stress fractures...there's a new sheriff in town: ruptured disk.

So now I'm paranoid to run outside again. On beautiful days like today I think about all the people running around the nearby lake and get a fuzzy idea that today might be the day that I run in the sunshine, but it hasn't happened yet. One thing I absolutely hate about doing so much treadmill training is that when I actually do go out and run a race, I have DOMS that nearly cripple me. I'm thinking I'll get over this mental hurdle sometime this spring if I get more serious about running. For now, I'm happy on the treadmill. Except our downstairs TV doesn't get ESPN or Fox Sports Net. And I don't know why. :mad:

60 minutes of running today preceded by the P90x Ab Ripper X DVD.

More clean-eating:

2. Protein drink
    3. 1 c carrots, 6oz Chobani Greek Yogurt, .5 c cucumber
    4. Almond milk/Fruit/Protein Smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB
    5. Eggs, spinach, and mushroom baked in parchment paper
    6. Protein/fruit smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB

I'm hoping the kitchen scale arrives soon. I'm curious about how many calories I'm really consuming. Also, I'm going to begin taking measurements every Monday night now, including skinfold, weight, and tape.

Macros:

[​IMG]