1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Vegetarian Fury!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by ianmez, Jan 23, 2010.

1. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

The morning's already off to a great start. Tore into my chest and back this morning and had increases in both weight and volume. Already looking forward to next time.

Exercises were incline db press, pull ups, flat db press, chest flyes, one armed rows, seated rows, pushups, chin ups.

I'm coming to the inevitable conclusion that we don't have room for a squat rack so I'll have to get a gym membership instead. I'll probably put this off until April when I feel I've pushed myself at home about as far as I can go and I'll have enough time in my schedule to make regular gym trips likely.

I hope the rest of today is as great as its begun.

2. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

It turns out that today's high point was in fact my workout. I felt like my class of 2nd graders was kicking my ass all over the place. But, onward and upward.

The good news? It's been exactly one month since I started this. Another day of clean eating:

1. .5 c oatmeal, .75 c frozen blueberries
    2. 1 c carrots, protein drink
    3. 6oz Chobani plain Greek yogurt, apple
    4. 1 oz almonds
    5. 1 c Tofu/Broccoli w/garlic sauce
    6. Protein & fruit smoothie, 1 Tbsp natural PB

Here are the macros:

[​IMG]

3. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

I made it to Costco and back without buying tortilla chips and guacamole. That's damn good for Super Bowl weekend. I get this weird satisfaction out of seeing my cart loaded up with skim milk, eggs, cottage cheese, fruits, vegetables, and protein powder. The ugly side is that sometimes I experience schadenfreude when I look into other carts and see mountains of processed foods.

Workout today was quality. Ab Ripper X DVD from P90x plus a 30 minute run. I'm pushing myself to go faster on my runs. When I hit the 6 week mark after next weekend I think one of the changes I'll make is that I want to increase the length of my runs. Eventually I'd like to do some training for my lactate threshold and VO2 Max, but I need to build up my base first. It's hard to have much of a base if I don't run every day.

Classes were canceled today because of a professor's illness and I got heaps done. The dishwashing machine repairmen returned and finally fixed our dishwasher. I e-filed our tax return. I met with a group of people for a school project. I set up my wife's new laptop. I straightened the house. I went to Costco.

I could use an extra day like this every week.

This is day 33 of clean eating:

1. 5. c oatmeal, .75 c frozen blueberries
    3. 1.25 c broccoli, apple, 6oz Chobani fat free Greek Yogurt
    4. 1 oz soy nuts
    5. Tofu and broccoli with peanuts and garlic sauce
    6. Protein and fruit smoothie w/ 1 Tbsp natural PB

Macros are here:

[​IMG]

#23 ianmez, Feb 5, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  4. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

I just finished this mornings shoulders and arms workout. I'm too tired to take my shirt off so I had a PWO shake and collapsed on the sofa. You know you've really worked yourself when you're too weak to lift the milk carton and you spill milk all over the counter when you're using both hands to pour it into the blender.

It's been another week of strength and/or volume gains. My approach at the moment is to push myself a bit farther in one way or another each time I work out: if I can't lift heavier weight, then add more reps, or more sets, or something. Just keep it different and give myself a way to say I've improved after each workout.

I'm also trying to find the right exercises to do since I'm working out at home for the time being. I discovered today that I can do dips using the arm supports on my treadmill. They're a bit wide--maybe four or five inches wider than I'd like on either side. But I don't think that's harmful, it just makes them tougher. This treadmill is pretty rugged; I hope the supports don't snap under the strain.

I did drop sets with db military and alternating bicep curls today and that's what turned me into Jell-O. It was pretty awesome.

Today's lineup: db military press, alt db bicep curls, lying down db tri extensions, dips, chin ups, diamond pushups, db shrugs.

The ache I experienced in my left hand when I was toting the heavier weights around has subsided. I think maybe it had to do with using lifting gloves. I quit using them last week. I don't know why I bothered with them, anyway.

After more schoolwork today, my wife and I are planning to see "Crazy Heart." Jeff Bridges is supposed to be amazing. I think he's gotten way less credit as an actor than he deserves and I think his performance in "The Big Lebowski" was epic.

I'd also like to see all the Best Picture nominees, but with the field expanding to 10, I don't think I can do it anytime soon. I watched "The Hurt Locker" last weekend and it was excellent. I really mean to get around to "A Serious Man" and "Up in the Air," but it might be a while. I also am partway through "Inglourious Basterds" but I don't think I've truly enjoyed a Quentin Tarantino movie since "Jackie Brown."

Enough rambling. Homework calls.

#24 ianmez, Feb 6, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  5. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

"Crazy Heart" was good. I hope Jeff Bridges gets an Oscar. It has a lot in common with "The Wrestler," which I thought was a great flick, too.

Eating's just about done for today except for my nightly protein/fruit/PB smoothie:

1. .5 c oatmeal, .75 c blueberries, 6oz Chobani plain Greek yogurt
    2. Protein and fruit smoothie (PWO)
    3. 6oz Chobani plain Greek yogurt, .5 oz almonds, 1.25 c broccoli
    4. 1 oz almonds, .75 c carrots
    5. .5 c mushrooms, 2 c wilted spinach, garlic, green onions & 5 egg whites
    6. Protein and fruit smoothie w/ 1 Tbsp natural PB

Macros:

[​IMG]

I realized today that I hadn't been including my vitamin regimen in my calorie count. I'm also thinking of upping the amount of fish oil I take.

Off to do the grocery shopping. I have some guacamole that's calling my name for tomorrow but I'm not gonna buy any tortilla chips to go with it. I think it's better if I stick to my eating plan rather than allowing myself to cheat. Knowing me, I'll binge and use it as an excuse to slack off.

Onward and upward.

6. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Is there a staple gun in it? :scared:

I finally saw The Wresler just last week. And I was really divided about whether or not I liked it. I know that Mickey Rourke's portrayal was certainly the main reason I liked it so much. My favourite part was the (first part of the) scene at the deli counter. I could see all of the emotions that were surfacing throughout that whole scene. Brilliant. I hadn't heard of Crazy Heart. I'm going to put that on my list.

What are you going to put your guacamole on? I imagine it would be similar to hummus in what you can do with it. Dipping carrots or celery sticks or cherry tomatoes in it comes to mind. :drool:

7. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

No, thank god. No barbed wire or broken glass, either. But Colin Farrell played a country-pop megastar, and that was kinda scary in its own way.

If you liked that, you might like "Crazy Heart." The story was simple but I thought Jeff Bridges really sold the character.

Broccoli and carrot sticks! Mmmmm.

I tried the Blue Diamond unsweetened almond milk in a smoothie this morning. The taste is a bit different so I'll have to get used to that. I'll see how things shape up with my macros when I track everything on Fitday this week. One of my goals is to increase my healthy fats, so that should help. I should have heaps of healthy fats today if I'm gonna tackle that guacamole. I also bought some avacodoes for this week. Can't wait.

Time for today's workout. I'd like to add some time to today's run. Around New Year's I was stetching my runs up to an hour but I quit that when I started this new program. I think I might like to build back up to that and today seems like the perfect day to start.

8. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Day 35

Today was a bit of a lower protein day for me than usual. I try to get close to 150g a day (which can be pretty tough without eating meat) but managed just over 100g today. I don't think that's horrible, but not something I want to make a habit of.

Super Bowl snacking today was about 3 c of raw broccoli and baby carrots with about .25 c of guacamole. Man, that was good. And filling, too.

I really wasn't feeling it but I doubled the time of my run today from 30 minutes to 60 minutes. I am going to try to make this a regular weekend thing--to get one longer run in. Next week when I reassess at the 6 week mark I'm thinking about gradually increasing the length of my other runs, too. They're a lot harder since I'm doing them at just after 5am on a totally empty stomach. But I think I could get up to 45 minutes a pop without too much trouble. I only have so much time on weekday mornings, too.

I did the P90x Ab Ripper X DVD before today's run. I initially thought I'd just take 2 weeks off from P90x and then go back to it, but I'm enjoying this weightlifting routine too much. As long as I'm making gains with the lifting I'll go with that. Maybe I'll throw a DVD in every now and then just to mix things up.

Today's meals:

1. .5 c oatmeal w/.75 c frozen blueberries
    2. Almond milk/fruit/protein smoothie
    3. 2.25 c raw broccoli, .75 c raw carrots, .25 c guacamole
    4. 2 eggs poached in a garlic/roasted tomato/adobo chile sauce
    5. Milk/protein/fruit smoothie w/2 Tbsp natural PB

Macros:

[​IMG]

9. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Day 36

I'm feeling leaner and stronger today. One measure is the pants I wear. Today my pants went on without any hint of snugness around the waist. I also tightened my buckle to the last notch and didn't think about it until hours later. When, a few weeks ago, I was able to tighten to that last notch I still felt it was a bit tight around my waist but still comfortable enough to wear. Not today. Today it felt normal.

This morning's chest/back workout showed more strength/volume gains. I'm soon reaching the point where what I have at home won't be enough. I think I can add sets/reps/shorten rest times/generally mess around with stuff to keep challenging myself for several more weeks at least. I think next time I'll start out by adding a little bit of weight to the pullup sets and see what happens.

Today's workout was alternating between incline db bench press and pullups, followed by rotating through three sets each of flat db bench press, chest flyes on the bowflex, bent over db rows, and seated rows on the bowflex. I finished up by alternating three sets each of pushups and chinups to failure.

More clean eating:

1. .5 c oatmeal w/ .75 c frozen blueberries and 6oz Chobani plain Greek yogurt
    2. 1 c raw carrots, 11oz protein drink
    3. 1 c 2% cottage cheese, V8, apple
    4. 1 oz soy nuts
    5. 2 eggs poached in whole tomatoes/juice and adobo chiles; .5 c pureed butternut squash
    6. Almond milk/protein/fruit/1 Tbsp natural PB smoothie

Macros are here:

[​IMG]

The other day I actually got in a minor, friendly argument with two of my classmates who thought I was more than 6 years younger than I really am. It turns out we're the same age (34) and they didn't believe me. For a year they thought I was 28 or so. :D

10. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

That's great! The belt is a pretty good indicator of progress. You seem to be getting into a groove. Do you feel like you're eating enough? I'm seeing some 1400ish calorie days. I don't know all of your stats, but that seems pretty low for most adult males. This is a good BMR calculator, if you'd like to get an estimate of about how many calories you're burning in a day.

Again, congratulations on your progress. I like your approach, including your big list of healthy habits. You're on the right track! :tu:

11. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    First off, congrats on great discipline... I actually enjoyed reading your journal from the beginning, and look forward to great things from you.

My wife is also a vegetarian, and I put together a few easy-to-make/store dishes for her which were higher in protein. I thought of the greek-style cucumber-yogurt salad as soon as you mentioned you were struggling with the thick texture. The "weeping" of the cucumbers thins it out a bit. My wife likes to add chopped red onions to this recipe.

As far as the sodium goes... V8 is LOADED with it. Even the "low-sodium" variety, if I recall, was pretty high for my liking. If you have the ability to make your own juices, that's a better option... or eat more whole veggies. Damn... your meal plans are making me hungry. I'm going to go cut up an orange bell pepper now...

12. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'm trying to keep the momentum going!

This is an excellent question and a really timely one since it's something I've been thinking a lot about this week. I use this BMR calculator and it shows me that I burn between 2400 and 2500 calories a day. I agree that when I'm getting below 1400 it's too low for sure and I'm working on remedying that. But I basically target between 1400 and 1600 calories each day.

I deliberately chose not to weigh myself/measure myself frequently, opting to focus on the process. The downside of this is that if I'm doing this only every three weeks, I'm not monitoring things as closely. But after the first 3 weeks I lost 4 pounds, so I felt okay with how things were going. I have another check-in next Monday so I'll reassess then. If I find I've lost more than 5 pounds in this last three week period, I'll really take a much harder look at this.

In other measures, I do feel like I'm eating enough: I'm continuing to have high-quality workouts where I add weight and volume. I feel I have plenty of energy and I'm rarely tired throughout the day. I'm virtually never hungry.

I have a sneaking suspicion that I may be eating more than I claim I am. I'm not rigorous about measuring *exactly* one tablespoon of peanut butter, to give an example. So I wonder if perhaps my calories are a little bit higher each day than I think? I'm not being willfully ignorant of my portion sizes, either. I'm not lying to myself by claiming I'm eating only a .5 cup of something when I know damn well it's much more. But I'm leaving room for the possibility that I'm taking in a few more calories than I think.

In any event, next week's measurements will be a big milestone. I'm very open to adding calories since I don't think I'm so heavy that I need to be in a rush to lose pounds. I see myself more in the "skinny-fat" mold where I should be emphasizing keeping the lean body mass that I have.

Thanks! It's very much appreciated.

Thanks--I'm enjoying your journal, too. I confess to having a special interest since I'm a native Pennsylvanian (Lancaster) and spent some of my college years on the Main Line. As a total aside, did I see somewhere that you're a fan of Carbonleaf? One of my favorite bands, too.

Awesome! That sounds like a great idea. Mmmmm....cucumbers...:drool:

I hear you. I think we have about 4 cans of V8 left in the house. Somehow I can't bring myself to throw them out, so I guess I'll finish them. But after those are gone, I'm 86ing the V8. It's soon to be replaced with raw veggies.

13. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

Looking at your pictures, I would completely agree that you don't need to rush your fat loss. My guess is that you could nudge your calories up a bit closer to maintenance, focus on making progress with lifting weights, and you would be happy with the eventual results in the mirror. During a gradual recomposition like that, you may not see the scale move much, but you will continue to tighten your belt and fit better in your clothes. :tu:

Of course, my advice, as always, is worth exactly what you paid for it. :lol:

14. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Actually, it's NCNBilly who is the Carbon Leaf fan... when they played here in Philly, we got together for the show. I had never heard of them prior to that night, but I enjoyed their music and thought they were solid performers as well. It's not the kind of music I would normally listen to (I'm a rocker) but appreciate almost any kind of music, and the company of another JSF'er was definitely a highlight was well.

15. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Ahh...I knew I saw that somewhere.

I think what you're saying makes sense. My plan has been to reevaluate everything after three weeks so I'll first see what the data tells me on Monday.

I think the full courseload + 2 days a week of student teaching is getting to me. I realized yesterday that I somehow managed to completely skip a legs workout last week. I did two chest/back workouts instead. :lol: Good thing they both went well.

Then this morning I woke up and realized I never had my last meal yesterday. I just forgot about it and went to bed. D'oh!

This weekend I have a little bit of a challenge. We're going to a birthday party on Sunday and then going to our friends' house for dinner. I don't know how clean I can keep my eating. The birthday party won't be a problem. I don't know the birthday girl that well (wife's friend) so I won't be under any kind of social obligation to eat.

Dinner with our friends will be tougher. They're vegan, so I don't have to worry about anything creamy or cheesy. But I'm guessing it will be low on protein and high in carbs, whatever it is. And I know there will be probably be something for dessert, too.

I think we might share the cooking so I'll be sure to make something that's healthy so I at least have some good stuff to eat. And I'll be sure to limit my portions of anything that's doesn't meet my usual clean diet.

It's interesting to me that I'm not worried about being tempted by the food or bingeing...I'm worried about the social pressure of having food that under other circumstances I wouldn't have. I didn't get into this so I could be picky about food in social situations or put myself in a position to hurt people's feelings or make them feel weird, so I'm not seriously considering refusing any of the food outright. I probably won't eat anything storebought, like candy or a storebought dessert. But I want to at least have a small portion of anything that's actually been prepared by our friends.

I'm also interested that I find myself adopting this sort of extreme point of view. It's as if what's important right now is being on a roll or keeping up my streak of consecutive clean eating days. But that's really not what's important at all. You don't get bonus points for being on a roll--although I do think I want to ride this momentum as far as I can.

That's why I think it will be an interesting challenge. Because when next Monday comes around, I'll have to start a new clean eating streak all over again. Plus, that's measurement day. I'm wondering how the data will affect my outlook.

That's why, right now, I'm going to commit to having a totally clean week starting as soon as we get home from our friends' house Sunday evening. I've just got to get right back into healthy habits no matter what happens with my food on Sunday and no matter what happens with the measurements on Monday.

Day 37 today was another one of clean eating:

1. .5 c oatmeal, .75 c frozen blueberries
    2. Protein drink, 1 c carrots
    3. 1.25 c broccoli, 1 c cottage cheese
    4. Almond milk/fruit/protein/natural PB smoothie
    5. 2 eggs poached in whole tomatoes/juice w/adobo chiles, vitamins
    6. Milk/fruit/protein/natural PB smoothie

A normally don't like to consume this much of my protein via shake/protein drink but that's just how things went down today.

Macros:

[​IMG]

Workout was P90x Ab Ripper X DVD (feeling less burn in my thighs and hip flexors each time I do this) and 35 minutes running. I'm sticking with the goal of gradually increasing my run times. I may not lengthen every run, but today I added 5 minutes. I know that I could easily run farther but I don't want to go overboard on cardio.

16. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

I'm trying to creep my calorie intake closer to maintenance. I'm also trying to add some more healthy fats. So today I started adding flax seed to my morning oatmeal (another 3g protein, some fiber, 70 calories and a heaping pile of Omega-3s). I also had half an avocado today. :drool:

As I kept adding things I ate to my Fitday log today, I thought Damn, I'm gonna have my first 2000 calorie day here. Uh, no. Try about 1600, and that's after I add the peanut butter to my evening protein shake. So I've got some work to do. If this cut works out I'm contemplating a bulk, but I'm seriously doubting how I can add more clean calories. Maybe I'll just get used to it. Actually, I think I can just add a serving or two of complex carbs and I'll be good to go. Some quinoa or sweet potato each day is probably about all it will take.

Anyway, a much better day at school today with the second graders. I'm no longer (at least not at this moment) doubting my sanity, my ability, or my decision to take this path with my life.

After this post I'll head down to do legs, so I'll update this later, or post again. But I wanted to get all this food log stuff taken care of while I had a few minutes. I've got schoolwork tonight plus I've got to read a bunch of submissions for a writing group I belong to.

Busy busy.

Meals today:

1. .5 c oats, .75 c frozen blueberries, 2 Tbsp flaxseed
    2. Protein drink, 1 c raw carrots
    3. Apple, 6oz Chobani Greek Yogurt, V8
    4. 1oz soy nuts
    5. 3.5oz silken tofu, .5 avocado, 1.5 roma tomatoes, 1.5 eggs, 2.5 egg whites
    6. Almond milk/protein/fruit/peanut butter smoothie

Macros are here:

[​IMG]

Depending on how this leg workout goes, I might look into a gym membership as early as next week. The school district where I'm student teaching has the week off, so I have a 2 day vacation next Wednesday and Thursday. That should give me time to look at a few places.

Because I'll be so busy when I start full-time student teaching, I figure I'll need to find a gym that's close to the school. That's about a 40 minute commute from where I live. I'd prefer to go in the mornings rather than right after work. There's no local gym that will be convenient enough, I'm afraid, so better to try somewhere closer to the school. But the only stipulation is I'll want a month to month membership instead of a long contract.

I'll see what's out there.

17. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Good luck finding some fun calories.:eat: I really like the flaxseed strategy.

Hint: Pecans are delicious on everything, savory or sweet. ;) But they can get expensive.

18. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Costco saves the day on stuff like that. I think we can get a 3lb bag for something like $10.

You just gotta be careful you don't eat all 3 pounds right away.

--------------------------------------------------

Just finished with legs. I'm really motivated to join a gym now. I love/hate doing legs and love/hate that wobbly feeling I get when I can barely walk upstairs after.

19. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Up early this morning for a 35 min run and the P90x ab ripper DVD.

Day 39 of clean eating:

1. .5 c oats, .75 c frozen blueberries, 2 Tbsp flaxseed
    2. Protein drink, 1 c raw carrots
    3. 6oz Chobani Greek yogurt, V8
    4. 1oz soy nuts
    5. 1 c vegetarian chili
    6. Protein/milk/frozen fruit smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB

I'm thinking about checking out some gyms this weekend and seeing if I can get a 7 day trial somewhere. I've got a few days off next week and it would be nice to lift in a gym.

Macros:

[​IMG]

20. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Day 40 completed.

A very long day today. This morning I endured an hour and a half powerpoint presentation on job hunting and resume tips (use a professional email address! Go to school district websites to see how to apply for their jobs! Dress up for interviews!) and had a long drive home in the rain because of an accident on I-5.

I also had what may have been my biggest calorie day since I started this, and I didn't even top 1800. I've been making the effort to add some additional calories, though.

The day ended well when my wife and I hung out a local independent bookstore. I also caught the end of an epic 3OT Pitt/WVU backyward brawl hoops matchup. I might replay it on ESPN360 if I don't fall asleep first.

Eating was once again clean:

1. .5 c oats, .75 c frozen blueberries, 2Tbsp Flaxseed
    3. 6oz Chobani Greek Yogurt, 1 c carrots, V8
    4. Almond milk/fruit/protein smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB
    5. Tofu, 1.5 eggs, 2.5 egg whites, .5 of an avocado, .5 c diced tomato
    6. Almond milk/fruit/protein smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB

Macros:

[​IMG]

Shoulders, bis, tris workout tonight

My attitude about this workout is evolving. I don't have much at home where I feel I can really go hard on this. In the case of shoulders, after military press, I'm basically finished. I don't have heavy enough weights to get a whole lot out of shrugs and I've scrapped lateral/front raises because I think they're likely to do more harm to my shoulder than good. In the case of bis, I do db curls, but that's about all I've got for those. For tris I screwed around with a few different exercises and settled on bodyweight dips on the handlebars of my treadmill. They're working out okay but I fear one day they may give way.

Now I try to keep the workout as short and sweet as possible. I rotate from shoulders to bis to tris, trying not to take any more time between sets as I need to adjust the weights, write down my reps, and get a drink. I just go shoulders, bis, tris for a few sets and then finish up with drop sets for press and curls. By the end I'm holding 5 pound weights and contorting my face when I try to get them up. I do like that part.

Anyway, I made more weight and volume gains on all exercises today. I keep pushing up this gym thing in my mind.