1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Vegetarian Fury!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by ianmez, Jan 23, 2010.

1. ameer

ameer Active Member

It's not sweet and has more of a bitter flavor to it to me. Unless you get it flavored. I like the taste though.:nod:

2. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Dude, when the weather is that beautiful, you have the energy to do just about anything. I can't wait for summer!

Thanks! It's just become habit now, though.

Thanks, LD. That's really good feedback. I think I'm going to give the inverted rows a try now. I'll let you know what I think. Worst case scenario is switching to the T-bar. I just know they were a substitute for bent over rows so it's not like there's anything magical about the inverted row, I guess.

I'll think a bit more about how much weight I want to start with over the next few days. I can afford to start low with squats since I'll be adding 5 pounds a workout. I have 36 workouts until I leave for a trip, so that would get me to 225. I think I'll just have to get over feeling weird loading up the bar with 2.5 plates on each side.

I'm more torn about bench press. One of the reasons I want to do SL is because I've been struggling with it, but I use dumbbells. They're not really an option for SL because you can't (at least, I can't) increase by 5 pounds total from workout to workout. That means I have to go to the bar, which is okay, but I've got no spotter. So maybe it makes sense for me to keep the bench low. But if I have 18 bench workouts, adding 5 pounds each time only puts me at 135 by the end. That can't be very far off what I can do now, even considering my recent struggles. So I think I'll start at 75. Adding 90 pounds would put me at 165 by the end. I'll keep an open mind.

I found it to take a little getting used to, but now I love it. The best way I can describe it is that it's thick and heavy. It's also a bit tart. But I eat it plain. I've had it with cucumbers, and I think that's great. I've also had it with cinnamon, which is okay too.

Regular yogurt tastes better, honestly. And it's cheaper. But there's no way it can be as good for you or pack in as much protein as Greek yogurt. I'm just used to the taste and now I really like it. Give it a whirl and see what you think, but be open to the possibility that you'll like it a lot more after getting used to it for a few weeks.

Busy day today. Student teaching was followed by a meeting, which was followed by a long-ass-stuck-in-traffic-commute which was followed by watching the Huskies lose which was followed by another meeting. Nutrition was a bit jumbled because the 2nd graders had a field trip today which took me slightly out of routine.

1. .5 c oats, .4 c frozen blueberries, 2 Tbsp flaxseed
    2. 1 c carrots, 6oz Chobani Greek yogurt
    3. Apple, 11oz premier protein drink, .3 c soy nuts
    4. 11oz premier protein drink
    5. Mushroom frittata
    6. Almond milk/protein/frozen fruit smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB
    7. .25 c oats, 1 Tbsp natural PB, 1 tsp organic honey

Macros:

[​IMG]

3. livedog

livedog Well-Known Member

You might end up wanting to switch as your weight is quite a bit less than mine. Since it is a body weight exercise my extra weight was enough of a challenge that I don't think I would have done any better doing something else.

The weird feeling is definitely something that enters into the picture, but my w/o partner and I felt like it was good to break down some our mental hurdles when it came to preconceived notions on sets and reps. I think you've been doing squats, so it may not apply to you, but for us, this was the first time we ever did squats, so starting with the light weight helped us tremendously when it came to proper form.

I think that sounds like a good plan. You can probably grab someone that is working out nearby to spot you once you get in the weight range is a bit more of a challenge for you.

I like more bitter tasting stuff, so I might like this. Any thoughts on stirring in some unsweetened cocoa powder? I have read of people doing that with cottage cheese and wondered if it would work with this.

4. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I've never done that, but I have tried stirring in cinnamon and also vanilla extract. Neither one of them was a huge improvement, in my opinion. But I still say go for it and see what happens.

Thanks for all the feedback on SL. I start it tomorrow and I'm pretty psyched.

5. misterjingo

misterjingo Well-Known Member

I'm going to give it a try. I'm hitting Whole Foods during lunch and will pick up a couple of them.

When you bench, do you keep your elbows tucked in or flared?

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Another alternative to regular Greek yogurt would be to buy some of whatever brand/flavor you care for and then empty the contents into a cheese cloth lined colander. Put the whole thing in a pot and stick it covered in the refrigerator overnight. Come morning most of the liquid will have drained and you'll be left with a very thick yogurt.

Good luck with the new lifting scheme. I think you're going to like it.

7. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Last night on my bus ride home, I was thinking of your 1,000 cal entry. I was thinking, how can someone eat 1,000 calories in a day and feel full, and someone else (me) eat over 3,000 in a day, and I am starving at some points during the day.:confused: Even Mastover wrote how tedious it is to eat so much food, and he is eating roughly 3,000 per day.

Now I need to re-evaluate my nutrition plan. Thank you.

8. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sweet! Hope you like it.

You know, I don't even think about it. I bench press with dumbbells, so it doesn't feel as apparent to me as it does when I use a bar. I think I bench with elbows flared. You think maybe this is something I should reconsider?

Thanks! I sure hope so.

I think it was because I've been so busy during the day. I certainly don't recommend the 1k a day plan. :blank:

Long day today. I forgot my protein drink today so I was irritated at myself. By the time I got home at 730 I had eaten only maybe 700 calories, so I've been catching up all evening. I hate when that happens.

But I did get to see the science fair this evening and schmoozed with a bunch of the parents, and that was fun.

Today was the last day of scheduled rest before lifting starts again tomorrow. Woohoo!

Nutrition:

2. 1 c carrots
    3. 5.5 c broccoli, 6oz Chobani Greek yogurt, apple
    4. Mushroom frittata
    5. Milk/protein/frozen fruit smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB
    6. Milk/protein/frozen fruit smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB
    7. .25 c oats, 1 Tbsp natural PB, 1 tsp organic honey

[​IMG]

9. livedog

Just as an FYI on the Greek yogurt topic, last night when I was getting groceries I saw a four pack that came in the flavors of caramel or chocolate. I almost picked the chocolate one up, but it was a little pricey for me to try since I haven't even tried the vanilla that I have. But at least now I know someone makes it.

Enjoy your lift today!

10. misterjingo

misterjingo Well-Known Member

I saw a 4 pack of chocolate at the store but not a single serving so I picked up a vanilla one. Should be an interesting taste.

ianmez, I ask about the benching because I've read here at JSF that many recommend doing them with your elbows tucked in to prevent potential shoulder issues. I do dumbbell bench presses too, and sometimes I can feel it in my shoulders. But when I try to tuck my elbows in I feel pain in my left elbow. I'm sure it is tendinitis-I can't do triceps extensions with any heavy weight either.

11. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Okay, here are some. I chose 2 egg recipes, 2 lentil recipes, and 2 tofu recipes that I have a lot and are pretty representative of the food I eat:

1. Herb and Goat Cheese Omelet

I omit the parsley (which I don't like) and the olive oil. I take out the oil only because I make these in the microwave in an omelet maker and cooking spray is a lot easier.

Ingredients

* 4 large eggs
    * 1 tablespoon water
    * 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
    * 1/8 teaspoon salt
    * 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
    * 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
    * 1/4 cup (1 ounce) crumbled goat cheese
    * 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
    * 1/2 cup thinly sliced zucchini
    * 1/2 cup (3 x 1/4–inch) julienne-cut red bell pepper
    * Dash of salt
    * 1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives

Preparation

1. Combine eggs and 1 tablespoon water in a bowl, stirring with a whisk. Stir in 1/8 teaspoon pepper and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Combine parsley, tarragon, and goat cheese in a small bowl.

2. Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in an 8-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper, zucchini, bell pepper, and dash of salt to pan; cook for 4 minutes or until tender. Remove zucchini mixture from pan; cover and keep warm.

3. Place 1/2 teaspoon oil in skillet. Pour half of the egg mixture into pan, and let egg mixture set slightly (do not stir). Carefully loosen set edges of omelet with a spatula, tipping the pan to pour uncooked egg to the sides. Continue this procedure for about 5 seconds or until almost no runny egg remains. Sprinkle half of cheese mixture evenly over omelet; cook omelet 1 minute or until set. Slide omelet onto plate, folding into thirds. Repeat procedure with remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil, egg mixture, and goat cheese mixture. Sprinkle chives over omelets. Serve with zucchini mixture.
    Nutritional Information

Calories:
    Fat:
    17.6g (sat 5.8g,mono 7.8g,poly 2g)
    Protein:
    16g
    Carbohydrate:
    3.6g
    Fiber:
    1g
    Cholesterol:
    430mg
    Iron:
    2.5mg
    Sodium:
    416mg
    Calcium:
    84mg

2. Tofu egg scramble with avocado

2 large eggs, lightly beaten
    salt and pepper
    2 tsp olive oil
    7 oz soft tofu (from a 14 oz package), drained on paper towels
    pinch turmeric (optional)
    1 small avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and cubed
    1/2 c cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered

In a small bowl, whisk eggs, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp pepper. Set aside.

In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Crumble tofu into skillet. Sprinkle with turmeric, if using; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tofu is dry, about 3-4 minutes.

Reduce heat to medium-low. Add eggs and cook, stirring, until almost set, 1-2 minutes. Divide between two plates. Top with avocado and tomatoes.

Serves 2

3. Tofu and Peppers with Spicy Peanut Sauce

Prep: 20 minutes
    Total: 45 minutes
    Ingredients

Serves 4

* 2 packages (14 ounces each) firm or extra-firm tofu, drained well
    * 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    * 2 tablespoons soy sauce
    * 2 medium red bell peppers, seeds and ribs removed, cut into 1-inch-wide strips
    * 3 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
    * 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    * 1 tablespoon Asian-style chili-garlic sauce
    * 1 tablespoon light-brown sugar
    * 4 sprigs cilantro, for garnish (optional)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Slice each tofu cake crosswise into 6 rectangles.
    2. In a shallow container, whisk together 1 tablespoon each oil and soy sauce. Dip tofu pieces lightly on all sides to coat. Brush two rimmed baking sheets with remaining tablespoon oil; divide tofu between them. Scatter peppers around the edges.
    3. Bake 10 minutes; turn tofu and peppers. Continue baking until tofu is golden brown and peppers begin to char, 10 to 15 minutes more.
    4. In a small saucepan over low heat, whisk together peanut butter, lime juice, chili sauce, brown sugar, 3 tablespoons water, and remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce, until warm.
    5. Drizzle sauce over tofu and peppers. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.

4. Tofu and Broccoli Stir Fry

I change this by baking or broiling the tofu instead of frying it in oil, so my version has slightly fewer calories. Also, I use low-sodium soy sauce and add extra garlic.

Prep: 25 minutes
    Total: 40 minutes
    Ingredients

Serves 4

* 1 package (14 1/2 ounces) firm tofu, drained, cut crosswise into 6 slabs (about 3/4 inch wide), each slab halved horizontally and cut into triangles
    * 1 1/2 pounds broccoli, stalks trimmed, peeled, and cut into 1/4-inch rounds, florets separated into bite-size pieces
    * Coarse salt
    * 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    * 3 tablespoons soy sauce
    * 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
    * 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
    * 4 garlic cloves, minced
    * 1 tablespoon cornstarch
    * 1/2 cup cashews, toasted

Directions

1. Arrange tofu in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with several layers of paper towels. Top with more paper towels and another baking sheet; weight with canned goods. Let tofu drain, about 20 minutes.
    2. Meanwhile, cook broccoli (stalks and florets) in a large pot of boiling salted water until bright green, 2 minutes. Drain; set aside.
    3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add tofu; cook until golden brown, turning gently halfway through, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to paper towels.
    4. Meanwhile, make sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, vinegar, red-pepper flakes, garlic, cornstarch, and 3/4 cup water; set aside.
    5. Add broccoli to skillet; cook over high heat, stirring often, until crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Whisk reserved sauce to combine; pour into pan. Return tofu to pan; stir to coat, about 1 minute more. Serve topped with cashews.

5. Turkish Carrots and Lentils

I don't know what Aleppo pepper is, so I substituted an Indian ground chili pepper (very much like cayenne).

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 1 cup lentil mixture and 1 tablespoon yogurt)
    Ingredients

* 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    * 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced onion
    * 1 garlic clove, minced
    * 1 tablespoon tomato paste
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground Aleppo pepper
    * 1 pound carrots, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
    * 3/4 teaspoon sea salt, divided
    * 3 cups water
    * 1 cup uncooked dried green lentils
    * 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    * 1/4 cup Greek-style yogurt (such as Fage)
    * Fresh dill sprigs (optional)

Preparation

1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook 9 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in tomato paste and Aleppo pepper; cook 30 seconds. Stir in carrots and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat.

2. Combine 3 cups water and lentils in a large saucepan, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes. Uncover, increase heat to medium-high, and stir in onion mixture; cook 2 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cover with a kitchen towel, and cool to room temperature. Serve with yogurt. Garnish with dill, if desired.
    Nutritional Information

Calories:
    Fat:
    12.2g (sat 2.8g,mono 7.7g,poly 1.2g)
    Protein:
    17.4g
    Carbohydrate:
    48.6g
    Fiber:
    10.6g
    Cholesterol:
    3mg
    Iron:
    5mg
    Sodium:
    549mg
    Calcium:
    64mg

6. Lentil-Edamame Stew

I cut out the parsley. Also, you could dice fresh tomatoes and add a bit more liquid and save yourself a heap of sodium here, too.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)
    Ingredients

* 1 cup dried lentils
    * 3/4 cup frozen shelled edamame (green soybeans)
    * 2 tablespoons olive oil
    * 1 1/2 cups minced red onion
    * 3 garlic cloves, minced
    * 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
    * 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    * 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
    * 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    * 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
    * 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    * Dash of ground cloves

Preparation

1. Place lentils in a large saucepan; cover with water to 2 inches above lentils. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until tender. Drain well, and set aside.

2. Place edamame in a small saucepan; cover with water to 2 inches above edamame. Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes or until edamame are tender. Remove from heat; drain well.

3. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, and tomatoes to pan; sauté 6 minutes or until onion is translucent, stirring often. Stir in lentils, edamame, juice, and remaining ingredients. Cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring often.
    Nutritional Information

Calories:
    320 (23% from fat)
    Fat:
    8g (sat 1.1g,mono 5.2g,poly 1.4g)
    Protein:
    18.6g
    Carbohydrate:
    48.4g
    Fiber:
    10.7g
    Cholesterol:
    0.0mg
    Iron:
    5.7mg
    Sodium:
    432mg
    Calcium:
    59mg

12. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

Oh... these sound excellent!! :drool:

I will be trying them very soon :nod:. #2 and #3 sound so yummy!!

Thank you so much :love:

#192 Maya, Mar 27, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  13. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks LD. It went well. I went with the T-bar rows after all, and I also decided to drop all the way down to the bar for squats. The times when it's really light will help me work on my form, which is one of the reasons I opted for this 5x5 thing anyway. It's funny, because my right foot has a mind on its own and still wants to pivot out to the right even when I'm just using the bar. So it's an opportunity to help get that under control and also just getting used to getting as low as I can with the squat.

I went with 75 on the bench press, and it's probably the first time I've bench pressed with a bar since 2004. I'm undecided what to do when the reps start to get really tough. If I can grab someone that's cool, but I want to have a back up plan. I can always move to dumbbells again and modify it somehow, or maybe try a hammer strength machine...:confused:

Hope you enjoy the yogurt.

Ah, interesting. I don't get shoulder pain from benchpressing fortunately, but I'll keep this in mind. Hope that yogurt treated you well.

Bon appetit! :eat:

So, back into lifting this morning with my variation of the Stronglifts 5x5 program. Not too much to report, other than my dip reps went 25...12...8. :lol: As the program gets harder that will probably even out a bit more since I won't have much juice left by that part of the workout and I won't be able to crank out a really big first set.

I'm looking forward to being about 6 weeks into this program and seeing how I feel. It at least will make my workouts really quick for the next several weeks seeing as how I take virtually no rest time between sets. It's just go go go.

It's back to running again tomorrow. Whether it's outside or the treadmill will depend on the weather, I think.

Today's nutrition:

1. .5 c oats, 2 Tbsp flaxseed
    2. PWO .25 c oats, 1 Tbsp natural PB, 1 tsp organic honey, 11oz premier protein drink
    3. 300g broccoli, 1 c 2% cottage cheese
    4. Almond milk/frozen fruit/protein smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB
    5. 2 tomato/cheese omelets (3 eggs, 3 egg whites, 28g cheese, 90g tomatoes)

The macros:
    [​IMG]

I could have one additional meal tonight, I'll see if I'm hungry. It feels great to work out again, even if it wasn't especially challenging. I think the dips might make me sore, though.

#193 ianmez, Mar 27, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  14. livedog

Glad you had a good workout! I think it's a good decision to go to the bar on squats. It is certainly easier to pick apart your form when you have a little more freedom to look at it without a load of weight on your shoulders.

Well, I did, until I messed it up. I opened a container of plain and had a couple of spoonfuls and it was good. It is a little more bitter that I expected, but I didn't mind that. I decided to mix in a little chocolate powder. Uh, that didn't work. For some reason it wouldn't stir in and the yogurt clumped up and all of the chocolate powder coated it. It wasn't good after that :)

The bodyweight exercises seem to go that way ;) I'm looking forward hearing how workout B goes. Are you making any changes to it?

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for those recipes.

16. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :lol: Okay, that sounds pretty gross. Worth a try, though.

Modifcations to workout B are:
    • 5x5 for deadlift instead of 1x5 (at least for a while)
    • Probably varying the ab exercises instead of just doing the reverse crunches

No worries, hope you find a good one in there somewhere.

17. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Twelve weeks finished already. Wow. Tomorrow is measurement day. As always, I'm curious what it will bring.

I'm unlikely to keep up with the running. Student teaching is now going to consume all of my time (aside from a one week reprieve that begins this Friday for spring break) so I'll have to conserve the free time I do have.

Today's nutrition:

2. Almond milk/protein/frozen fruit smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB
    3. 270g broccoli, 1 c 2% cottage cheese
    4. Tofu egg scramble w/avocado and tomatoes
    5. Milk/protein/frozen fruit smoothie w/1 Tbsp natural PB

The macros:

[​IMG]

18. livedog

Yeah, it was inedible after that. On the plus side, I had to run to the store after that and they had the four packs of chocolate. I passed them up before because, at the other store, they were $4.98 and having not tried it before I didn't want to pay over $1 a container (I think they are only 3.5 oz). Yesterday I found them for $3.50, so it was more worthwhile.

I haven't tried it yet; I'm saving it for Lost tomorrow night when I usually crave ice cream.

I think those are good changes. We could have definitely done something more on deadlifts, and we will be next time around, and I also wish I would have added more ab work in as well.

19. ameer

ameer Active Member

On another food note I noticed you eat avocado. I used to just eat it plain right out of the skin, but I've found an even better option. This guacamole mix in a jar from Kroger here.

Oh man! Delicious. Low sodium, I think no calories. It's great.

20. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Student teaching is kicking my ass. I barely have time to eat and I can't get as much sleep as I want to. Everything just takes so much time!

So, I am going to skip tomorrow's workout. I'm praying I can get it in Wednesday. This is hugely frustrating for me, but I know that I have to give 100% of my attention to student teaching for the time being, so I'm doing that.

Today was measurement day. Meh. I lost 2 pounds and I now weigh in at 143. :blank:

According to the caliper measurements, my bodyfat went down again, this time to about 12%. I took pictures, and I really don't think I look like I'm that lean. So I don't really believe it, honestly. I think I'm probably still closer to 14%. I think I'll be stalled like this until I'm back into the gym on a more regular basis doing hard workouts.

I don't know that I'll make much progress anytime soon, but I'm going to commit to clean eating. That will keep my energy high and I won't get too badly out of shape even if I can't devote the time I want to lifting. Maybe things will calm down in a few weeks. Man, I sure hope so.

Today's nutrition was on the light side:

1. .5 c oats, .4 c blueberries, 2 Tbsp flaxseed
    2. protein drink, 1 c carrots
    3. 4oz broccoli, Chobani Greek yogurt, apple
    4. Herbed goat cheese omelet w/ sauteed zucchini and bell pepper
    5. Milk/protein/frozen fruit smoothie w/1.5 Tbsp natural PB

The macros:

[​IMG]