1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Vegetarian Fury!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by ianmez, Jan 23, 2010.

1. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have thought I'd end nearly six years of lurking with a thread titled "Vegetarian Fury," but life's full of things I wouldn't have thought would have happened.

I'm 34, married, a vegetarian, and starting to get serious about fitness. Putting this out there for public consumption can help hold me accountable.

So, here goes.

Along with it seems like nearly everyone else in the free world, I made some big changes beginning on Monday, January 4. That was the day I decided to plan every meal in advance, eat 5-6 times a day, quit eating refined sugars and most other simple carbs, and start working out on a more regular basis.

One of the things I told myself when I started this was that it would take about 3 weeks for me to really notice any results. That's why I decided not to weigh myself until day 22. It's day 20 today. I'll worry about the scale on Monday.

Here's how today's gone so far:

Breakfast: .5 c oatmeal (dry) w/ .75 c frozen blueberries

Mid-morning snack: .75 c raw baby carrots; 11 oz protein drink (approx 30 g protein, 3 g fat, 160 cal total)

Lunch: apple, 12 oz can V8 vegetable juice, .75 c 2% cottage cheese

Dinner: it hasn't happened yet, but we're making tofu and broccoli with a peanut sauce, and roasted sweet potato.

Evening snack (I have this about 4 times a week): 1 c skim milk, 2 scoops EAS protein blend (28g protein), 1 c frozen fruit.

I got in a workout: Chest/back DVD from P90x.

More to follow in future days. Hi everyone!

2. HalfGorilla

HalfGorilla Active Member

Hi there. Welcome!

If you have any questions, just ask. There are heaps of knowledgable people around here to help you.

Good luck with it all.

3. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Thanks!

Today was day 21. That means that tomorrow I'll weigh and measure myself. I was 155 the day before I started this, but I didn't bother at the time to take measurements.

As I get more into this, I'm going to make a few changes. The first big change is posting here. The next is taking my measurements (and photos, which I plan to do tomorrow evening) in addition to weighing myself. I think I'll still stick to the only once every three weeks plan for a while, though.

Another change is to log my food on fitday. It's a real challenge for a vegetarian to hit 40-40-20 for macros since so many protein sources also have big carb components. I'm not going to freak out about this for a while; I'll just record things and see where I'm at. About the only thing I can think to do is to add lots and lots of egg whites to my diet, or maybe add a protein drink made only with water :barf:.

Here are my macros for today:

[​IMG]

It's not exactly like I went overboard on carbs, either:

.5 c oatmeal w/ .75 c blueberries
    EAS designer protein mix w/ 1 c skim milk and 1 c frozen fruit
    1 c roasted red pepper and tomato soup
    1 c 2% cottage cheese
    1 apple
    1 oz soy nuts
    1 c Mexican Lentil Soup

Today's workout: P90x Plyometrics DVD

4. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Day 22 just about in the books. After three weeks it was measurement day. I weighed myself before my morning workout on an empty stomach:

151 lbs. That's a 4 lb loss in 3 weeks--I'm pretty happy about that. I think I can notice slight differences in the mirror and in how my clothes fit, but most importantly I feel great.

I of course regret not taking pictures or measurements, so I did that today. I took them in cm. Not sure what's standard, really. And can't even be sure I did them right, but I'll learn more about that as I go along.

Thigh: 53.5 cm
    Bicep (flexed): 35 cm
    Belly (the fattest part I could measure): 86.5 cm
    Chest: 96 cm

Pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I can't even say how much I hate how I look with my shirt off. But, whatever. I'll just work at this and hate it less in a few months. Or hate it just as much but be considerably more fit. Either way, I win.

Meals for today:

1. .5 c oatmeal, .75 c frozen blueberries, 6oz chobani fat free greek yogurt

2. 1 c carrots, 11 oz protein drink

3. 1 c 2% cottage cheese, apple, 12 oz V8

4. 1 oz soy nuts

5. 2 c raw spinach, .75 c tomato, .5 c chickpeas, 1 oz salad dressing, 1 hardboiled egg, 2 hardboiled eggwhites w/o yolk

Macros:

[​IMG]

Today's workout:

Military dumbbell press:

1 x 15 x 8
    2 x 10 x 30
    1 x 6 x 30
    1 x 8 x 25

Front raises:

2 x 10 x 10
    1 x 15 x 10

Lateral raises:

1 x 6 x 15
    2 x 10 x 10

Alternating db bicep curls:

1 x 10 x 20
    1 x 10 x 25
    1 x 8 x 25

Incline db bicep curls

3 x 10 x 15

Overhead db tricep extension:

1 x 10 x 35
    2 x 10 x 30

Bench dips:

3 x 25

Man, did I ever feel weak and pathetic. But it's all part of the experience.

5. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Day 23 just about over.

Working out at 5 or 6 in the morning is tough for me, but I'll just stick with it. It's about the only time I have to do it. But, man, I feel like I have *zero* energy.

Today's workout: P90x Ab Ripper X DVD followed by a 30 minute run

Tomorrow is legs. Since I started this 3 weeks ago I've been doing mainly P90x, but I decided that after 3 weeks I wanted a break from a lot of the P90x stuff (I'm going to keep doing the ab workouts, though) and I just want to lift and run for about 2 weeks before sticking the DVDs back in. This will be the first time I've lifted legs (outside of P90x) since June and I'm not really looking forward to it.

I'm okay with the idea of lifting legs, but I'm doing it at home where I don't have a whole lot to work with: basically a set of 50 lb adjustable dumbbells. My gym closed in November, so it's make do at home or nothing.

I don't know if I can call this good news, but my legs are so weak that the dumbbells ought to be enough for a while. Future plans include buying a squat rack, but that's down the road. I need to prove to myself that I'm committed enough to being fit to merit the expense and the space it takes up.

Mainly I'm nervous for tomorrow because I'm embarrassed about how weak I am. But the only constructive way to deal with that is to get stronger and stop worrying. So on I go.

Another good eating day. My plan is to stay below my maintenance level and do what I can to approach a 40-40-20 macro split.

1. .5 c oatmeal, .75 c frozen blueberries
    2. 1 c carrots, protein drink
    3. 1 c cooked broccoli, 1 c 2% cottage cheese, apple
    4. EAS protein/milk/1 c frozen fruit/1 Tbsp Nat PB smoothie
    5. 2 c raw spinach, 1 oz soy nuts, 1 Tbsp salad dressing, .75 c tomatoes, .5 c chickpeas, 2 hardboiled eggwhites

[​IMG]

I'm thinking of posting a whole bunch on here so I don't have to see those pictures every time I open this thread. Yuck.

6. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Up at 5am to do legs. Since I've been doing P90x DVDs for the last three weeks, this was my first actual legs workout without a DVD. I feel like I have to half-ass things since we don't have much of a home gym (and since my gym closed in November :( )

That leaves me stuck, for the time being, with trying to do legs with only a set of 50lb adjustable dumbbells. The good/bad news is that my legs are so weak, I still can manage to get something out of this for a while. At some point I'll have to make decisions about buying a squat rack and weights, joining another gym, or doing something else.

In the meantime, it was another humbling morning. After warming up and stretching I did four sets of dumbbell squats, working up to the full 50s, but I'm not really a fan of this. It's sort of uncomfortable to hold the weights and not much of a challenge for my legs. Better than nothing, I guess.

Lunges are a different story. These things KILL me. They make me feel like a little kid, completely without strength. As long as lunges keep kicking my ass, I'm okay putting off the weight purchase/gym membership. Four sets of lunges and I was ready for breakfast.

So, day 24 begins. I'll update with my meals later today.

7. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Today's meals:

1. .5 c oatmeal & .75 c frozen blueberries, 6oz chobani FF greek yogurt
    2. Protein drink & 1 c carrots
    3. 1 c 2% cottage cheese, apple, V8
    4. 1 oz soynuts
    5. 1 c Mexican Lentil soup (homemade :drool:)
    6. Protein & fruit shake with 1 T Natural PB

The macros:

[​IMG]

A little tweaking and I think I can get pretty close to the 40/40/20 thing. I'm thinking about changing up breakfast and ditching the oatmeal in favor of something else but I'm not sure what. Maybe eschewing the idea of breakfast foods altogether and having veggies, a complex carb like quinoa or sweet potato. I don't know, it's just an idea.

8. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Day 25 down.

I woke up this morning and was so sleepy I didn't get up and do a workout right away. But I was pleased that I did it this afternoon as soon as I got home, so no harm done. The early morning is still the best time for me to work out, so I don't plan to sleep in too often.

Today's macros:

[​IMG]

3. 1 c 2% cottage cheese, apple, V8
    4. soy nuts
    5. Mexican Lentil Soup
    6. Protein & Fruit shake w/ natural PB

So same exact meals as yesterday except today no Chobani yogurt. I'm having that right now only on days I lift.

Today's workout: P90x ab ripper X DVD, 30 minutes running

9. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Do keep in mind that you can make a successful body transformation with macros other than 40-40-20. The way I see it, as long as you're lifting heavy, you're going to be gaining muscle, and as long as you're eating at a deficit, you're going to be losing fat.

Have you tried almond milk? Blue Diamond unsweetened almond milk has around 40 calories per cup. It gets 67.5% of its calories from fat, 20% from Carbs and 10% from protein.

I'm in the same situations. One of the things you might want to do if you want to hold off the gym membership just a little longer is to do your squats (and deadlifts) one legged. Obviously, with only one leg doing the lifting, you'll need less resistance in the form of dumbbells, and as an added bonus, you'll be incorporating additional elements of core stability and balance improvement. :tu:

Looks like a nice diet. :tucool:

10. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Great idea--I'll look into that. Thanks!

Yikes...I don't even know if I can do a one-legged squat *without* weight. Balance indeed! I like the suggestion, thank you!

So, day 26 is now behind me. I'm finding that I'm running out of gas late in the week. It's almost impossible for me to wake up to get my workout in early in the morning on Thursdays and Fridays.

I did manage to get it in when I got home from school--chest and back today. Mainly that meant incline and flat bench with dumbbells, lots of pullups, one armed dumbbell rows, a bunch of pushups, and pullovers, seated rows, and chest flyes on the bowflex.

I can feel that my back is regaining a little bit of its strength. My chest...well...that's another story.

Eating went okay today. Because I slept in and ran late in the morning, I skipped the Chobani Greek Yogurt at breakfast. Of course, because I was in a rush I forgot to grab an apple for my lunch, and I skipped my afternoon snack of soy nuts because I really wasn't that hungry and I was in the mood to hit the weights. The result was a pretty low-cal day. I don't think it will kill me as long as I don't make a habit of it.

1. .5 c oats, .75 c frozen blueberries
    2. 1 c raw carrots, 11 oz protein drink
    3. 2% cottage cheese, V8
    4. 1 c Mexican Lentil Soup (I think by tomorrow we'll finally have the last of it)
    5. Protein & Fruit smoothie w/1 oz natural PB

[​IMG]

11. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Day 27 done.

I felt like I spent practically the whole day doing schoolwork, but I got a workout in and went to the Trevor Hall concert tonight. Good times.

Today's food:

1 .5 c oats, .75 c frozen blueberries
    2. Protein and fruit shake
    3. 1.25 c broccoli, 1 c 2% cottage cheese, apple
    4. 1 c Mexican Lentil Soup (which we finally ran out of tonight)
    5. Protein and fruit shake w/1 T natural PB

Macros looked like this:
    [​IMG]

Today's workout:

P90x ab ripper x DVD, 30 minute run

12. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Day 28 here and gone (almost).

Today's workout was shoulders and arms. I made strength gains on most exercises, which made me happy. I made the decision to give up front and lateral raises. They make my left shoulder scream, but not in a good way.

I also discovered that my left hand really lacks in grip strength. Any exercise where I have to hang onto a heavy dumbbell for a while gets pretty uncomfortable. I hope the more I lift, the better this gets.

Exercises today included: db shoulder press, shrugs, alternating db bicep curls, incline db bicep curls, overhead db tricep press, db tricep kickbacks, bench dips, and an improvised db preacher curl using the bench. I fought to get some reps up that I didn't think would happen and felt pretty good about it.

Another day of clean eating:

2. protein and fruit smoothie
    3. 1 c 2% cottage cheese, apple, 1.25 broccoli
    4. 1 oz almonds, .75 c carrots
    5. 4 scrambled egg whites, 1.25 c broccoli, .5 c sweet potatoes
    6. protein and fruit smoothie, 1 oz natural PB

Macros are here:

[​IMG]

13. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Some of my guiding thoughts

I went into this with a pretty long list of healthy habits. If I did these things, I thought, then I'd be more likely to be successful. A lot of them I'm doing. A bunch I still need to work on. Some I may never do.

Anyway, here's the list. I'll be more likely to succeed if...

• I get about 8 hours of sleep each night
    • I drink a gallon or more of water each day
    • When I lift, I lift with intensity
    • I raise my lactate threshold and VO2Max in cardio training
    • I eat five or six small meals a day
    • I take periodic photos of my progress
    • I don't get hung up on weighing myself every day
    • I eat more than 30% of my calories from lean protein
    • I make sure I eat lots of healthy fats
    • I avoid simple carbs, except naturally occurring sugars in whole foods
    • I plan my meals in advance each week
    • I record what I eat on a site like Fitday
    • I take periodic measurements to mark progress
    • I always know when and what my next meal is going to be
    • I have at least some protein with every meal
    • I find out my BMR and run a calorie deficit
    • I vary my exercise routine from time to time
    • I hold myself accountable by telling people what I'm doing
    • I keep a fitness journal to record my thoughts and progress and help hold myself accountable
    • I set attainable short-term and long-term goals
    • I have the support of the people that love me
    • I surround myself with positivity
    • I have a workout partner
    • I record what I do in my workouts
    • I make a long list of healthy recipes that I can choose from
    • I eat fruits, vegetables, or both at nearly every meal
    • I stretch regularly and increase my flexibility

Can anyone think of ones that you'd add? I tried to keep the list to things that were more like actions that could be taken as opposed to "mindset" things. I might be able to make a list of those, too.

14. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

That's a really good list! That would be something nice to hang on my bathroom wall as a reminder each morning of what to look for and a checklist each evening of what I want to work on. I didn't read it closely enough to see if you're missing anything. I'll take a look at it later on and let you know if I think of something. :tu:

15. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'm always thinking of what I could add to it. The way I think of it, if we do all or most of everything on that list, there's not much preventing us from meeting our goals, right?

16. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Day 29 done and dusted. It's been four weeks since I started. I haven't had a simple carb apart from naturally occurring sugars since January 3. I've missed 2 workouts (both cardio). I've been consuming less caffeine. I've had only one restaurant meal and it was almost entirely vegetables.

When March 1 comes, I want to be able to say the same type of things. I'm also hoping that I can say that I'm stronger and that my pants feel looser.

I've learned that I'm a process-oriented person. When I believe that I'm making good choices, I tend not to worry about the outcome and trust that it will take care of itself. That's one reason I don't bother with daily or even weekly weigh-ins or measurements. I want this to be about the process of being healthy, not about reaching a certain weight or size.

But even as I say that, I wish I could just fast-forward to when my stomach is completely flat and I can squat well over my weight and when I don't look at pictures of myself and wish I was healthier. That's when I try to remind myself to enjoy the process of what I'm doing instead of thinking about it as something with an end.

Like people say, it's the journey not the destination.

Another day of clean eating. I am noticing a few thing I'd like to improve, though. I often skip my afternoon snack (soy nuts) and I'm not frequently eating the Greek yogurt I bought as part of breakfast. But, man, that stuff is tougher to eat than I figured. It's like trying to chow down on super thick sour cream. But 18g of protein in 6oz gets my attention. The third thing I'd like to do is increase my intake of healthy fats a little bit. I may go back to almonds in the afternoon since I like them more than soy nuts so I'm probably more likely to eat them. I could also try adding some ground flax to my morning meal.

But I'm going to wait for a little while before making any changes. My idea now is to reevaluate every three weeks. You could say that I'm doing this in phases. With each phase I introduce more healthy habits, change things that could need improvement, and generally shake things up.

Today's workout: 30 min run (which I ran a bit faster than normal, but I ran after dinner when I had more energy instead of first thing after waking up) and the P90x Ab Ripper X DVD.

Tomorrow's workout: legs.

Today's meals:

1. .5 c oats, .75 c frozen blueberries
    2. Protein drink, 1 c carrots
    3. 1 c 2% cottage cheese, V8, apple
    4. 1 c vegetarian chili; 4 hardboiled egg whites
    5. Protein and fruit smoothie, 1 Tbsp natural PB

Macros:

[​IMG]

17. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I have trouble with plain yogurt as well. Could you just have another serving of cottage cheese instead? Or maybe you could try the german type of quark, if you can find it in an ethnic or specialty food store. I mix in cinnamon with my plain yogurt (bonus: it has amazing health properties) and I thin it with milder tasting unsweetened almond milk, and mix in chunks of fresh banana and walnuts. These ideas might not work if you're aiming for a certain macronutrient ratio, but I thought I'd throw them out there.
    I think that's a great way to do it. It's related to why I don't count calories, and instead target for a minimum of the suggest daily intakes - because I figure if I eat enough of the right things, then my appetite won't allow me to go crazy with stupid cravings, and my mindset won't allow me to gorge on something that I know will make me feel like crap the next day. I have been immensely disappointed every time that I've aimed for visible abs, or attempted to reach a magic arbitrary number on the scale. :cry: But every single time that I've focused on meeting a dietary target or on improving a measure of physical strength or endurance, my physique has always improved concurrently. Look after the process, and the results will look after themselves. :cool:

18. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

That's an option for sure. But two things the yogurt has going for it--it's slightly more protein dense than the cottage cheese for the same amount of calories, and more importantly it's WAY lower in sodium. One goal of mine is to lower my sodium intake and cottage cheese turns out to be a huge sodium offender.

I'm totally going to look out for this at the grocery store we go to this Sunday. This store has a really wide range of terrific products so it might be there. I'll look into it.

I haven't forgotten about the almond milk. That's on my list to try out, too. I'll try the cinnamon tomorrow. One day I tried a drop of vanilla extract, which was okay but didn't change the flavor too much. One of my deals is that I'm eating this in the morning when time is of the essence so convenience is a priority and I don't allot time to making more delicious breakfast foods. I've also thought about mixing it in with my oatmeal and blueberries and seeing how that is.

Totally my philosophy too!

19. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

I think today was day 30. Clean eating today, a little higher on the calories than I've been going, but that's cool. I still consider myself in a learning and data and information gathering stage. In about 2 weeks when I check in again with my weight, measurements, and photos I'll consider how everything's going and see if I want to make any changes.

A great leg workout for me this morning. I added dumbbell deadlifts. I have a bit of a phobia about deadlifting since I had back surgery less than 2 years ago. Intellectually I know they're good for my back and for me but I confess to being a bit scared. It's actually nice to use the dumbbells since I'm less likely to use too much weight. The obvious downside is that I don't want to waste my time lifting weights that are too light to benefit me. But I figure this will give me a chance to get comfortable with the exercise, make my form excellent, and warm up for other leg exercises. So it's all good. Also did squats and lunges, adding weight from last week and feeling wiped out by the end of it all. I had to use the handrail to help me walk up the stairs for breakfast.

We had our dishwasher repaired today. It had been on the blink for almost 2 weeks and I'm totally over washing every single dish by hand. Also, I got my hair cut. It gives me a chance to stare at myself in the mirror for half an hour and I think I can tell in my face and neck that I'm getting a bit leaner. Either that or I'm just feeling better about myself. I remember the last few times I had haircuts I'd see myself in the mirror and think, Damn, I have got to start eating better. I didn't feel that way today.

Today's meals:

1. .5 c oats, .75 c frozen blueberries, 6oz Chobani plain Greek yogurt
    3. 1.25 c broccoli, 1 c 2% cottage cheese, apple
    4. 1 oz soynuts
    5. 1 c vegetarian chili
    6. Protein & fruit smoothie w/ 1 Tbsp natural PB

Macros are here:

[​IMG]

20. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

The dishwasher that was "repaired" yesterday? Nope. It's still spewing water down to our basement. It looks like another week or two of washing by hand. I'm so over that.

I was so ready for my workout today. I sort of regret that it was just an abs and cardio day. I was ready to really tear into the weights. That will have to wait for tomorrow morning. Instead I did the P90x Ab Ripper X DVD (getting stronger at this each time) and a half hour run.

Another day of clean eating. This was day 31. A whole month worth of days. Tomorrow I'm teaching calendar reading to a class of second graders but I don't think I'll point out that I started this a month okay. None of 'em told me I look any thinner, anyway.

I'm wondering what to do about eating for the Super Bowl. I'm pretty motivated to keep up the clean eating. But it's the Super Bowl. Maybe I can go for a big long run that day and feel like I earn something extra. Or maybe I can just stick with the plan and feel proud of myself. I think I'm gonna stick with the plan.

Tomorrow's chest and back. I'm guessing I'll see some improvement. I've started this pretty modestly.

Today's meals:

2. Protein drink, carrots
    3. Apple, 1 c 2% cottage cheese, V8
    4. Soy nuts
    5. Tofu and broccoli with garlic sauce and peanuts
    6. Fruit and protein smoothie with 1 Tbsp natural PB

The macros:

[​IMG]