1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Varicose/spider veins

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by andi, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Monkey0ne

Monkey0ne Well-Known Member

I don't know if you got any feedback on this yet or made a decision, but my wife had a vein on her upper calf, about 3-4 inches in length. It was very sesitive. Almost any amount of pressure would cause pain. We had one of those laser removal procedures done, kinda like having a tattoo removed. She said it was painful, and it left a brown buise looking mark that lasted a few years. Probably because we didn't go for a follow-up appointment. It's gone now - no vein, no bruise, no pain.

It was kinda expensive though, but if the vein causes physical discomfort I think it's well worth it.

2. thirtysomething

thirtysomething Well-Known Member

Investigate gotu kola, an herb. It does act as a diuretic, so watch out for that and it is best not to expose leaves to your skin for long, as some people are sensitive. But it comes in capsules and tea form and is good for venous health, among other things.

3. ChicoMom

ChicoMom Well-Known Member

I have known people who have had both procedures done.

A family friend had massive vericose veins all over her legs, all of which she had removed (this type is heriditary). She tells us all the time how painful the healing process was. I think because she had sooooo many. Unfortunately, many have returned. I think she is just predisposed to getting them - bad circulation I guess. I have one small one on the back of my knee that I swear is from crossing my legs. It only perpetuated during pregnancy and now it aches horribly if I stand
    for too long.

My friend had the spider veins treated in a single doctor visit and she said it was quick, easy and somewhat painless.

My best friend was told by two dermatologists that the broken capilaries on your face are from washing with water that is too hot.

My $.02... :cool:

4. runnerboy36

runnerboy36 Active Member

Hi, I'm new to this site, so I'm not sure I'm posting my reply correctly. I developed a monstrous vericose vein on the inside of my left leg about 9 years ago.....from my lower groin all the way to the ankle. I had a sever panic attack and within 3 days this vein appeared....and it's never gone away. I'm very athletic and exercise regularly, but it's only getting worse. I've put off having it removed because of the cost, but I figure that eventually I'll have to have a procedure. I'm sick and tired of being self-conscious when I wear shorts or a bathing suit. I've been reading about horse chestnut seed and grape seed extract. I understand that they can reduce swelling in the legs, but does anyone know if either of those herbs can actually reduce the appearance of the vein? Has anyone take either supplement for an extended period of time? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

5. Barber

Barber Well-Known Member

There are several options for the treatment of varicose veins. However, a lot is dependent on WHICH valves are incompetent and WHERE the varicosities are and HOW much there are.

The DEFINITIVE therapy for most people with large varicosities is done by making a small incision in the groin and getting rid of all the veins that are draining into the big vein in your groin called the femoral vein. Then small stab incisions are made stategically throughout the leg to literally rip out the varicose veins. By removing the greater saphenous vein (the major vein draining into the femoral vein), you prevent the reflux of blood into this vein and causing back pressure into the varicose veins, thereby preventing recurrences.

Laser therapy sounds sexy but it definitely lacks the long-term success rate of the procedure described above.

Large clusters of varicosities in the calf may be amenable to few stab incisions through which they can be removed. The groin incision may not be necessary if there is a competent valve in the groin. The calf veins drain into the back of the knee usually (again, depending on where in the calf they are).

Basically, your BEST bet would be to consult with a vascular surgeon who is proficient in all surgical techniques (open, laparoscopic, laser, etc).

6. Alana Calloway

Alana Calloway Active Member

Yes I have Spider Veins and you can get rid of them by using Mederma its a creme that makes those Vericose Veins go right away I think they are really ugly on your legs when you want to wear your skirts and you have those on your legs you feel self conscious about the way you look and how the others around you perceive of what you look like