1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Varicose/spider veins

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by andi, Mar 31, 2004.

1. andi

andi Well-Known Member

Anybody have 'em? I have a large splash of them on the outside of my right calf, and they've been there since I was 12 years old!! :( It's a large enough tangle of veins that from a distance it looks like a bruise. I've had it long enough that I'm not really self conscious about it, but now that I'm getting into shape I'm looking at other things I'd like to "fix" as well.

A couple years ago I was considering getting them surgically removed, but decided my money could be better spent elsewhere. I've tried "leg makeup" but it's pretty much crap- looked bad, felt weird, etc. I know there are creams out there that are supposed to reduce the appearance of leg veins, but that just sounds like snake oil.

Anyone here have any experience with any of the "remedies" out there? Or had the surgery done? Other folks' stories would be appreciated!

2. Lisa Stone

Lisa Stone Senior Member
    Platinum Member

When I was in my late twenties, I had Sclerotherapy Treatment done on mine. I just hated those veins! I have a few now, on my ankle and a little on one calf, but nothing like they were. I will most likely have to have it done again at some point.
    I didn't think it was terribly expensive- about 175.00 for an hours work. It stung a little, but my legs looked great after it was over. It's not really surgery- they just inject saline into the veins and it collapses them. :)

3. andi

andi Well-Known Member

Well sheesh, why couldn't I just do that myself at home?! :p
    Just kidding- thanks for the info Lisa!

4. Chim-Chim

Chim-Chim Well-Known Member

Andi and Lisa

Thank you for starting a post about this, I hadn't put much thought into asking for advice here. I have had spider veins since I was in my young teens, but they seem to be getting worse! Now I have a large varicose vein running on the outside of my leg and I HATE it. I heard that excercise helps and so does losing weight, but you know, I am doing both of those and I don't see any results. Lisa, Thank you for the advice! I am definately going to look into it.

BTW, are yours painful like mine? I cannot have my legs massaged because I nearly jump out of my skin from the discomfort!

5. woeisemma

woeisemma Well-Known Member

I dont have veins on my legs, but I have thin skin due to medication and I have visible veins on my face! I have some broken capilaries(I think that's what theyre called) on my cheek and nose that I will get lasered off one of these days - possibly this summer. Anybody have that done?

6. Lisa Stone

Lisa Stone Senior Member
    Platinum Member

I should add that it works only for the spider veins- I think varicose veins require surgery *sorry I missed that before*
    Woeisemma, really check out the laser vs. the saline injections. One of my friends went for the laser instead of the saline for her legs and now she has tiny white lines where the laser traced the vein that she cannot tan over! This was about ten years ago, so I am sure such things are improved. I know they can do either on facial veins, at least I think so.

7. Ansett

Ansett Well-Known Member

Andi, maybe you could cover it up with a tattoo?!? :cool:

8. piel2000

piel2000 Well-Known Member

a while back i was watching the health channel and they said that if you cross your legs at the knees or sit in indian style you will be more likely to get these. they said all women should sit with there legs crossed at there ankles which reduces stress on the veins at the knees. well i dont know much about these but i have lots of experience with strech marks which is a whole other thread to be put out. :eek:

9. xray

xray Well-Known Member

Actually we shouldn't sit with our legs crossec at all... Well, I'm not going to sit like a man!! i have heard about a method for the spider veins like the one you are mentioning, Lisa, but I think they used something else than saline. (I think it was micro amounts of adrenaline, but don't count that as for sure.)

If your legs are hurting from varicose and you are realy bothered about it, they do a quick, day surgical, all awake thing here in Norway to get rid of it. I have heard only good responses on that, but I have not had it done myself. (Happy I don't have ALL kinds of problems we women can get into. I'm way to satisfied with my over sized thighs and bottom observed in my mirror :p )

10. Lisa Stone

Lisa Stone Senior Member
    Platinum Member

http://www.phlebology.org/docmechanism2.htm

I found this link about the solutions- maybe it was something else- but I remember my doctor saying it's just a saline solution that once injected, will collapse the vein. There do seem to be many different solutions though....

11. zamboni

zamboni Well-Known Member

Veins

Spider veins occur when the valves in veins fail. Normally, these valves prevent blood from flowing in the wrong direction, but different types of stress, like obesity, sitting in one position too long, and the like can cause them to fail.

Anyways, back on point. When I was working at GNC they would have us recommend Horse Chestnut to get rid of them. Its supposed to help a lot but I haven't heard any feedback personally.

12. wezel

wezel Well-Known Member

:D Hi there, I'm brand new to this forum and found it as a result of looking for solutions for veins ......

That is Exactly what my doctor told me. I sit for hours at the computer and the leg veins have definitely gotten worse in the pas few years. :(

I can (tentatively) say that I am finding some improvement in circulation issues in general from taking the Horse chestnut supplement .... it's been two weeks now, and one of the improvements i've noticed is that the circulation in my hands has improved. :tu:

Now the veins MAY ve improving, but I think it may be too soon to tell - I should have taken before and after pix to be certain - THINK that the spider veins in my ankles are becoming fainter . ..... :tucool: ......

But, the larger veins in my calves (which led to my searching for more info ...) are REALLY annoying me. Constant itching and heaven help me if I give in a scratch ...... :eek:

Some potentiially useful hints for alleviating the itch that I've found:

1) apply Ice Cold therapy type gel to the itchy area - reduces inflamation and soothes the itch

2) Bathe the area with Hamamaelis (Witchhazel) (available in drugstores in bottles and pretty inexpensive, also acts as an astringent for your face). Definitely soothes the irritated area

3) Gently massage area with Vit E oil - I just break a capsule over the area.

Something that I heard was available and "safe" is called a Soft Laser. they claim that you can : get rid of spider veins, scars and wrinkles - :confused:

This has supposedly been on the market for at least 10 years and tests have achieve stunning results - I noticed some one posted that a friend had been treated with laser and had been left with white lines in place of veins ..... hmmmm - :confused: .... Don't know if that's the same technology .... I don't have the link handy, but when I did a search on Google, I found Soft Laser International's website.

Device sells for $300.00 Canadian here, which I guess, is about $220 USD ......

I was also wondering why one couldn't inject one own veins ... after all, diabetics are able to give them selves shots, and the stuff is not lethal .... I wonder if such a treatment would be possible?

Cheers

From Weezy in the Great White Frozen North we call Canada

13. andi

andi Well-Known Member

I spoke to a dermatologist about the veins in my right calf a couple months ago and he wanted to do laser treatment, which would take 3-6 treatments to get them all and would cost something like $200 a visit. I'm still contemplating having it done but really have to decide if it's worth it since it would be strictly cosmetic- I've had them for many years and they don't cause me any pain or itching at all. Still debating on that. I also have a couple moles and cherry angiomas (tiny harmless bright red lumps of flesh- like moles but red) that I'd like to have removed at the same time too, that do cause problems when shaving or that get rubbed by my clothing. So I haven't decided what to do just yet.

14. kexing

kexing Well-Known Member

15. wezel

wezel Well-Known Member

Hey Dude!
    Thanks for the link. I have the HorseChestnut stuff, so I'll check into the Grapeseed stuff ...

:D

16. kexing

kexing Well-Known Member

also stretching and cardio will help to improve blood flow. Hydration is of course also VERY important

17. wezel

wezel Well-Known Member

:nod:

Great! Thank you for that advice. :)

I spend about 1/2 hour stretching before breakfast every morning, for assorted breaks, sprains and other injuries, so that's covered. I use the Anderson stretch book for reference. :tu:

I do a work-out with Pilates exercise rings, and Theraband also before breakfast everymorning. I haven't monitored cardio but I get a good light sweat going. :jumping: :bb:

In the last year - I have upped my water intake from 2 glasses daily to 12 to 16. I drink only reverse osmosis water now. :tucool:

Also recently - I have taken to doing yoga elevated legs (shoulder stands) to (hopefully) reduce pressure on veins. :flex:

Cheers :claplow:

18. sox311

sox311 Well-Known Member

My sister had her varicose veins removed about a month ago.

She had them for quite a while, I am not sure how long, but I think they were genetic. My mother has them as well, but not to the extent that my sister had them.

She had them checked out years ago, and was told to wait until she is done having children to have them removed.

So, after having her three little boys she and her husband each had procedures done in December, he had the "Big V" and she had her varicose veins removed.

They made 40 tiny incisions all the way up and down each of her legs, so 80 in total. Last time I saw her legs there were still 80 little bruises on her. But her legs looked smooth and 1000 times better than before. She was back playing basketball in less than three weeks and she said that they are doing well now.

I will ask her about them this weekend and report back. I will see how they look and ask her how much the procedure cost her. I think the operation was covered by insurance. Her varicos veins were quite extreme, after reading the posts in this thread, I think that some of your's may very minimal compared to what she had. But I will ask her about them this weekend.

19. Annie

Annie Well-Known Member

yes, HealthQuestwinter2005 edition,page7 Doc.Mark Johnson 360-428-2586 I want this done but am alittle ?? I have them alittle behind my knee and it also looks like a bruise, did not come till in my 30's.good luck

20. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

About 25 years ago while playing game 4 of a softball tournament I noticed a bump on my left calf. I went to the hospital fearing it may be some sort of clot. The Dr. told me not to worry, it was just a collapsed valve in the vein and the blood had pooled. Well, 25 yrs. later I have what looks like a telephone chord on my calf!!!!! Believe me , I ain't happy.