1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Variable Pains on left side running from waist down :(

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by Justitia, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

So, for several months I have been having a series of pains starting in my extreme left front pelvic region. They shift around, they are not all at the same time.

1. It started as pains in the extreme left pelvic region closer to the front of the body than the back. I thought it might be ovaries or adhesions from my hysterectomy. I saw my GYN last week, he said there was no sign of anything abnormal with the ovary or a hernia. I had not though about mentioning the adhesions possibility. That's when certain tissue in the body adheres to other tissue that it is not supposed to. It is not dangerous but depending on the adhesion, it can be painful. I am prone to them and a number of adhesions had to be separated during my hysterectomy.

2. A little bit later, but occuring while the left pelvic pain was continuing, I started having what felt like a long muscle moving painfully over somethign else (this is just a description of what it felt like -- not what happened) starting from my inner thigh right where it hits the pubic bone down along the inner thigh and crossing over to the front of the thigh stopping just above the knee. I would have a series of thes "contractions" or whatever they are, 2 or 3 at a time, almost always when I was lying down on my back and they would sporadically occur. I had posted about this one before here and someone suggested that if I did sumo-style deadlifts, that could be the cause -- and indeed I had just done them before these "contractions" started. I have not done sumo style deadlifts since and have only done weights once (last week) in the last 6 weeks. The pain after a couple of weeks seemed to quiet down. I travel all through Morocco with nary a twitch -- but as soon as I landed in my hometown airport (after less than an hour flight, having spent the night at JFK when returning from Morocco), while I was sitting waiting to get off, another one of these painful contractions out of the blue. That was a week ago last Monday.

3. The pain in my left pelvic region had now been gone for several weeks -- I would feel a twinge or 2 when I was picking up my rollerboard, but it was barely noticeable. I worked out for the first time in 6 weeks last Thursday. It went extremely well. The next day, I started feeling some pain in the front shin area --- the kind of pain one feels from back problems (I have tons of those and had two back surgeries to fix a herniated disc 15 years ago. ) But it mostly was an occaisional flashing pain, the kind that gets better on its own.

4. 2 days after my first weight work-out after the 6 week break, I was picking up my rather heavy tool box with my left hand and I felt a a sharp twinge in the region of the fold between my left hip and left thigh. It hurt quite a bit. And it didn't get better. I started limping and continued limping for about 4 days. (Kind of Like Walter Brennan -- with that hitch-up when I used my left leg.) On the 3rd day it started getting better, not hurting when I first woke up but as the day wore on it would get worse and I would start to limp again.

5. FInally the last couple of days the pain causing the limping is almost completely gone but the original pain on the extreme left Pelvic region is back after being gone for a coulple of weeks.

SO it seems that these are all related, that whatever is happening is sort of moving around my body.

I am completely mystified, my doctor is on vacation and I was just wondering if anyone who was able to wade through my lengthy description had any thoughts.

I have not worked with weights since a week ago last Thursday (which means only once in 7 weeks) but I have done cardio almost every day, which consists of walking at a 4mph speed on a treadmill with the incline ratcheted up to 5%. During the "hitching, limping" phase, it would hurt more after cardio but that is no longer true.

I am getting plenty of sleep and eating very clean and well and getting lots of water.

2. Sent

Sent Well-Known Member

So is the pain you have always radiating?

3. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

No it is never radiating except the occasional one on the left front of my shin. That one feels like it stems from back problems.

But none of the other pain is radiating. :(

Tonight I had a very hard time walking, it was so painful around my left pelvic bone. I touched around and it feels like somehow I bruised the bone in a certain area.. but I have no bruises showing.

Weird....

4. Sent

Sent Well-Known Member

I hope your doctor comes back soon he can tell you what's up. Sounds like walking/exercise isn't making it any better at all :(

5. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

4mph is a pretty good clip. I find that kind of walking puts pretty good stress on my hip flexors myself, maybe your body is trying to tell you something (ease back, start stretching it out).

I wouldn't bother with a doctor and would suggest seeking out a good physiotherapist instead.

6. barnesie

barnesie Active Member

I am no expert on the disorder, but it sounds like you might have osteitis pubis. It is a disorder of the pubic symphysis. The pubic symphysis becomes inflamed from either trauma or infection. It commonly presents in people who have undergone gynecologic surgery or in runners. Your symptoms are consistent with whats expected, pain that originates in the grown and radiates down the leg. Also, your history of undergoing a hysterectomy places you at risk for developing the condition. Its inflammatory in nature, so ice and rest should help to calm things down acutely, but I would talk to your doctor soon, so a diagnosis can be made and see what course of medical action can be taken to completely resolve the issue.

7. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

After researching this, I think you have nailed it. :nod: That seems definitely the cause of the muscle contractions I feel beginning in the groin area and down my thigh. They describe exactly that.

I seem to have also injured the iliac crest on the left side. It is tender to the touch but only at one point -- at the tip of the pelvis. It is not tender on either side. So this maybe a separate injury brought on by compensating for the first.

Does this make sense to anyone?

The prognosis for osteitis pubis doesn't look good. This was probably brought about because of my on-and-off again schedule of weights. I was sick so much with other things post-hysterectomy, then I would go back. I would try to go easy but I felt strong enough to at least go back to the level of weights I was. I wasn't lifting that heavy anyway. The most I ever did was deadlift 75 lbs, full squat 70 lbs.

What I read is that it can be a career ending problem for football players. What I don't want is a career ending weight training for me.

Thanks, barnesie, I really appreciate your acute observation.

That is one of the things so great about this site. I trust it more to get help than anywhere else. Of course I am going to my doctor about this and call my physio-therapist. Fortunately he is a genius and has cured me of stuff that is normally deemed uncurable.

8. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well, I am calling my doctors first thing Monday morning but what do I do now. I feel awful not doing my cardio. I really wanted to do weights today because I haven't for a week trying to give my leg a rest.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:( :cry:

9. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

What about swimming as an exercise in the interim? I am a terrible swimmer but I could change that.

10. Happy Monster

Happy Monster Well-Known Member

I wouldn't do cardio until you have spoken to your doctor on Monday. I know it's hard, but those two days shouldn't make that much difference.

11. barnesie

barnesie Active Member

In my opinion, swimming would be fine. The pounding nature of running causes the most irritation to the pubic area. In fact, I would suggest trying to isolate pelvic musculature, especially the adductors, to aid in stabilizing the pelvis and decreasing any aberrational movement at junction between the innominates (pubic symphysis).