1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

UTIs & cranberry supplements

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by asterisk_this, Apr 23, 2008.

1. asterisk_this

asterisk_this Active Member

Hey all,
    I figured I would post here since it seems to be women who frequently voice their pains concerning UTIs. I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on cranberry supplements such as AZO cranberry supplements, which are available at most drug stores.
    I know all of the supplemental things that can be done to help with the painful infection, so my main concern is whether or not any of you have used these kinds of pills and your reactions to them.
    Thanks

2. DFS

DFS Well-Known Member

My fiance used to get UTIs all the time. Now she has a few things she does and she has had it under control for a while now (knock on wood). First, when she has to go pee, she goes...no holding it. Second, before sex, I must be clean...especially my hands. Third, after sex she pees right away...this seems to have been the biggest difference maker! Fourth, perhaps a bit obvious, but she washes that area very well when in the shower.

She has an OTC pill she takes when she feels them coming on, and sorry but the name escapes me...I'll ask her when she gets home later.

These things have really controlled the issue over the last year or so. Hope it helps!

EDIT: I realized just now after I got out of the shower that I didn't really address your specific question. I focused on her preventative measures and not treatment. When she does have them she does drink lots of cranberry juice and that helps with the pain a little. A few of hers have been so bad that they turned into bladder infections and she was urinating blood. Then she went right to the doctor and was put on antibiotics for about 14 days and that cleared things up. She never took any supplements that you are referring to, so I can't speak on them.

#2 DFS, Apr 23, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  3. Naturegirl

Naturegirl Well-Known Member

Yep, I have used several different brands of cranberry extract and they all work effectively. I have also used a straight d-mannose supplement, which is the active ingredient in cranberries (and blueberries) that treats the UTI's. It's a sugar that, from what I have read, works by sticking to the infectious bacteria and prevents them from clinging to the bladder cells, as well as dislodges them from the bladder wall.

Works great for me ( I just take some whenever I feel an infection coming on) and I do believe they are finally coming out with clinical trials evaluating it's effectiveness. I asked my doctor about it years ago, and she dismissed my inquiry after writing out yet another prescription for an antibiotic. Cranberry extract (or d-mannose) is one of the those things that actually works, thank God.

4. brie

brie Active Member

This is the only thing that always works for me too. Granted, I've got a UTI right now cause taking a break during a 3+ hour session is the last thing I want to do. I figured that since I'm back to using condoms I wouldn't get them as often but that is obviously not the case.

I used to just drink the juice but it didn't really seem to make much of a difference. Haven't had the extra money for more supplements but I doubt that it would be 100% effective.

5. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Dunno about the supplements but cranberry juice has been found effective for UTI in controlled clinical trials.

6. Chadster

Chadster Well-Known Member

Solid advice - my wife does all these things which helps. Cranberry juice at the first sign of trouble. Of course I am married so who needs sex?? :lol: