1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Using Straps temporarily to relieve sore hands

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by tensdanny, Jan 17, 2010.

1. tensdanny

tensdanny Well-Known Member

My hands keep getting torn up with blood blisters from deadlifting. Typically in day to day activities this doesn't bother me, but of course when Sunday comes up and it's time to pull again, it hurts to grip the bar and the new skin just keeps getting damaged further and further.

I want to give my hands like two full weeks to heal but do not want to stop doing the many pulling activities I do during the week.

Would using straps and wearing gloves be an adequate way to reduce the beating my hands are taking? I've never used straps so I don't know exactly how these bad boys work.

If they won't relieve some of the stress of my grip, I probably won't bother investing as so far I've been a "raw" lifter and kind of like it that way.

2. cajunman

cajunman Well-Known Member

Straps will keep the bar from rolling, which will keep your skin from getting ripped off. There was a period where I was deadlifting 3x a week and doing chinups on an old metal bar every day where I used to pack around straps just in case I tore my hands in the middle of my workout. But taking care of your hands and managing your calluses is not that hard to do.

Keep your calluses flush with the rest of your skin. Doesn't matter how, some file, I bite and scrape.
    Keep the meat of your hand from getting pinched as the bar rolls. Essentially force all the meaty flesh of your palm to the outside of the bar, not under it.
    Chalk before, stretch out the skin of your hand after - don't cramp up in the GI Joe kung fu grip.
    Nuskin will get you through a workout in a pinch, but it won't solve the problem.
    Take care of your hands after your workout.
    Reverse grip will also keep the bar from rolling, I don't like to do it except for singles. If you can do it, hooking with tape on the thumbs should also keep the bar from rolling.

3. tensdanny

I borrowed a friend and they worked like a champion for my "supplementary work". Thanks!

4. NCNBilly

NCNBilly Well-Known Member

When I was playing bass professionally, I'd lose a callus every once an awhile. I used superglue to fill it in (hurts like a bitch for a few seconds) and lasts for a few days. Got this trick from Flea of RHCP.

As above, I think once you get your hands healed you need to diagnose your form and see whats happening. I've never lost a callus deadlifting and I have one of the crappiest bars known to man.

5. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Me neither....I think the reason why people tear up their hands deadlifting is that they grip the bar too high in the palm. The bar then rolls in the hand, tearing up the hands in the process.

One thing that has helped me: Before deadlifting, I get in position, grip the bar with a relaxed grip, and then pull slightly as if I were going to deadlift. This determines where the bar will be in my hands....and is much lower in the hand. The weight of the bar is on my fingers, not the palm. Once I establish hand position, I then grip the bar tightly and proceed to deadliftt. The bar never rolls and my grip stays really secure.

6. tensdanny

I will have to switch to holding the bar more in my fingers than my palm. I've pinched skin and ripped off callouses in a bloody mess twice now because it also rips off a bunch of "fresh" skin below the surface.

I definitely palm the thing, so hopefully this shift will help out not only with the hand pain, but also in grip strength.

Thanks all!

7. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Media:
    Albums:
    This is a rather verbose, albeit eloquent, way of saying "stop being a girl". :D

8. cajunman

cajunman Well-Known Member

You want the bar to sit on the fingers between the knuckles and the first joint. When you curl your hand, and the meat at the top of your palm bunches up, make sure that skin is not under the bar or it will go bye bye.

I save the "brush the sand out of your vagina" for my ruder forums. Although with how hard I've seen a few girls train, I might just stick with "shake the dust off your balls"...:whistle:

9. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :lol: I've heard the former in my gym many a time.

10. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Yeah, these were exactly my thoughts after I read Gaz's post. lol

11. petvan

petvan Well-Known Member

hijacking here a bit.. whats the problem with using gloves?

12. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

Nothing so much if it works for you. I find that gloves impede grip.

tensdanny: Try a hookgrip. It kinda crushes your thumbs at first but that goes away quickly.