1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

unnecessary worry problem

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by dbartley, Sep 13, 2005.

1. dbartley

dbartley Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,
    Does anyone else suffer from occassional anxiety or worry about things that are not worth worrying about?
    I am a healthy and busy person with a life but sometimes I get into something and feel like I'm the only one in a particular situation - I tend to worry and blow things way out of proportion in my head. It just eats at me. I am able to go about my normal day and this doesn't get in the way of anything I do but sometimes it just stays at the back of my mind. Usually when I am driving or washing dishes or something, instead of daydreaming I am thinking about this thing.

I honestly think I worry because I have nothing else going wrong in my life. For some reason, I am dwelling on a situation that is a worst case scenerio and have no proof at all that it could actually materialise. I just think....but what if , what if, ...I doubt it could happen but what if, what if.....? It is really stupid but it's like my brain is fixed on this worst case scenerio.

Help me! :p

2. Timbermiko

Timbermiko Well-Known Member

Go here...this program literally saved my life.
    And go to the forums..for some info. :tu:
    Attacking Anxiety

3. Skoorb

Skoorb Well-Known Member

Yep, no matter how perfect things are I will find something to dwell on. By most standards my life is stress-free but I always find something that bugs me. It kind of sucks rarely being 100% contented but on the other hand I always have my ducks in a row, whether it's finances or health or whatever :)

4. Boxer-in-training

Boxer-in-training Well-Known Member

Hmm, I don't suffer from OCCASIONAL worry, but all the time worry. LOL. I have Obseesive Compulsive Disorder and a lot of anxiety. Mine is controleld with medication and therapy and diet and exercise. Have you had any therapy?

5. 4mykids

4mykids Well-Known Member

Seeing as how everyone else here has come forward, yes that happens to me as well :o . This was a major reason why I started my transformation and change in life. Before I was eating right and exercising I had to take medication like boxer-in-training. I couldn't get the worst case scenarios out of my head. I would stay up late thinking about them or I would be at work and couldn't concentrate. Once I bounced around enough medications, I finally just got angry :mad: and decided I would tackle it through my health. I can say that I am now off medication (it was very hard and took a long time) but the combination of the meds and then my change of lifestyle got me through it. Good luck, you're not alone.

6. dbartley

dbartley Well-Known Member

Thanks for your responses
    My latest worry comes from a stupid choice I made. I was really curious and went and tried a massage parlor (you know the kind...) Anyhow, I'd never go again and feel kinda dumb. I am worried though if the owner has a camera set up in the room and might put my video on the internet!!! It would be boring if I might add....

I know it sounds stupid and it would get him shut down if the police could trace that certian things go on in his place rather than a back massage so it really is stupid to think this. But I think....what if?

The lady said she would nt work in a place witha camera in the room, there was one at the entrence , thats all.

ALso, why would the owener put my video on the net? HE doens't know who I am, I could be some pshyco who could track him down,,,,right?

Please don't respond to this and worry me anymore. If anything, try to calm me down. I'm not a slimy pervert, I was just curious and well, it's not my thing for sure.

Well, there you have it, my creazy mind. You know, I have everything going well for me in my life, why would I get myself thinking life this? Guilt perhaps...

what are your thoughts. ...positive only please :p

7. Timbermiko

Timbermiko Well-Known Member

don't sweat it man...We've all made choices that we may regret later.
    Stay in the present moment...worry is a waste of time....it's done with, and usually the outcome is never as drastic as our minds can make it.
    "What if" thinking is a form of anticipitory anxiety...worrying about the future...stay in the present moment and let time pass and learn from your mistake. :tu:

8. westside

westside Well-Known Member

I have this problem too. I've been diagnosed with Panic Disorder.

My issue is with chest pains. When ever I have them...I instanly think that something is wrong with my heart. Then it would progress to me thinking I'm having a heart attack because my heart would accually increase in rate and what not...it was scary.

I went to the ER about 15-20 times in about a two week period. Had about that many EKGs....lots of tests. I'm on medication now, see a shrink, and do cardio 3 times a week, which makes me feel much better about my heart...since I figure that if I do cardio three times a week...then it must be ok.

I mean...I'm only 23..most people would laugh at you if you said I think I'm having a heart attack at that age. The worst part of my life by far.

So, I'm about 100 times better. I still get the thoughts and stuff...but I am able to manage it so that it doesn't manifest into a full blown attack. Some days are a struggle to get thru...others are a cake walk.

Your not along...best thing to do is seek help.

9. aaaaaa1

aaaaaa1 Well-Known Member

Seems to me that what really works under the surface is guilt. Your actual worry may be not the camera itself, but will happen to you if people will see you there. It's a fear of feeling embarassed and ashamed.
    Try to see what it really is. Try to "talk" to the worrying side of you, and ask - what if? If there was really a camera in there, how would I feel? How would that hurt me, or compormise my feelings? Because that part of you is evidently terrified of something. If the answer is something like - I would feel guilty and embarassed, and I could never show my face in public again, than accept it. That the way you, or that side in you, feels. And then, try to calm it down. Think of it as if you're talking to a kid who has naively done something that he feels terribly wrong about. Show compassion and understanding to yourself and to your humanly behavior, just like you would show your own kid.

Hope my direction was correct for you, and hope it helps.

10. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

Sounds to me like you're projecting. The old "what if " syndrome. What if this happens? What if that happens? I was always projecting until I reached the ultimate conclusion that there are SOME things in this world I just can't control. Whatever happens, happens. There's nothing I can do about it. (within reason of course) I'm not saying actions don't sometimes dictate outcome, but there ARE things beyond our control. Those are the things I worried about. I use a support group for other issues which has helped me get a grip on this. You might want to seek one out.

11. jackstr999

jackstr999 New Member

The bigger issue might be not whether it ends up on the Internet, but whether police can use the video to bring charges of solicitation to both therapist and client. In a lot of states (perhaps all U.S. states) it's illegal to video or audio record in a place where person expects privacy, and certainly a massage room would qualify. Unless there is consent by the "rubbee" in this case, which I don't know why that would EVER happen, that video / audio recording is illegal. However, there seems to be disagreement on whether the police could use the video as evidence to bring charges. I've heard different opinions - it's inadmissible, it's admissible as long as the cops didn't set up the video, and admissible regardless of who filmed the session. Of course, if the cops set it up, it was likely a sting and I suspect both therapist and client would have been arrested on the spot. Since this original post is over 12 years old, it's a moot point given the statute of limitations on a misdemeanor, but I tend to agree with Bluestreak's post - get familiar with Mother Thumb and her four daughters - simply is not worth the risk, because one never knows if the cops have organized a sting!

12. jackstr999

jackstr999 New Member

I've often wondered about these police sting operations of solicitation. I had a friend who went to get a massage at an AMP and was worried after he received a happy ending. Apparently, when he turned over and removed the towel, the woman asked what he wanted and made a "hand job" gesture, to which he nodded. She quoted him an amount, which he (later) believed would qualify as solicitation but nothing happened at that time. In fact, the woman performed the HJ, and weeks later, he was still freaking out and wondering if the cops were going to come to his door and serve him with a misdemeanor warrant. Number one, from what I understand, the arrest not only would have been made at the time of the "agreement," if the woman was truly an undercover officer, she would not have followed through with the HJ request.