1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Unique experience with HIIT - Advice needed please

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by HenryCamel, Mar 27, 2010.

1. HenryCamel

HenryCamel Active Member

Hello Everyone:

I'd would like to share my rather unusual experience using HIIT. Back in early March 2009, I began a exercise program which include HIIT on the elliptical three times per week with upper body weight training twice per week. I was able to achieve rather exceptional results by losing a lot of fat and gaining some muscle. I continued with this program for several months. Unfortunately, I experienced an unusual side effect: I put on an extreme amount of mass in my legs and in the buttocks region. I am wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and what can I do to reduce this unwanted size that I have gained? Thanks!

2. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

I think most of us think unwanted leg mass is a strange concept.

You did just upper body work and gained leg mass?

3. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Got any measurements to quantify this? What exactly is "extreme amount of mass in the legs and buttocks"? What is your waist-to-hip ratio.

Note: most athletes who do a lot of HIIT type leg work will have noticeable hamstring, quad, and glute development. As Buck Martinez once put it: "you can't play baseball with a flat butt". Here is an example
    [​IMG]

4. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

I wish I had an extreme amount of leg mass

5. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

Zen I think the healthy target is less then 1 for males. Could you gives a range that would be good/better ? In terms of leg development.

6. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well if people who are seriously interested in leg development usually use detailed measurements of thigh circumference etc. Such as back in his competitive days, Arnold Schwarzenegger had a 37 inch waist and 28.5 inch thighs. Trust me, on a six footer, 28.5 inch thighs are massive.

However in terms of waist to hip ratio, 1.0 is often quoted for a healthy target but nobody at 1.0 is going to look like they have extreme leg and glute mass. Some sources suggest 7/8 as a good proportion, but those are a bit old.

7. The1andonly

The1andonly Active Member

I think you are have a great problem, do you ever ever workout on your legs? If so you may want to decrease doing that....also what type of running shoes are you wearing? I noticed that some of my sneakers give my calves a harder workout than others....

8. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

Six inches bigger then me so I've no trouble believing he looked massive :lol:

It's just when you mentioned hip/waist ratio I made the leap that some sort of standard or at least rule of thumb existed.

9. akm3

akm3 Well-Known Member

I actually HAVE 28" thighs (and am 6' tall), but I wish it was the right kind of massive! (Muscle, instead of at)

No one believes I actually weigh 250lbs but it's because I hold a lot of weight in my legs.

Zen, you're going to give me a complex! I'm busting my ass though, I'm already down to 241.