1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Twice a Week Weight Training

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by mastover, Feb 2, 2013.

1. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

I get many requests from people who, due to time and job constraints, can only train 2x per week. Keep in mind, that dependent on what your other activities, diet, and cardio is like... this can be a very effective way to progress with your fitness and physique goals. At one point in my career, I was only able to train 2x per week. This was because I was driving my mom back and forth to Boston, MA for her cancer treatments. Good news is that mom recovered, and during this same time I was training and dieting for a bodybuilding show. The NYS INBF show. I won the Men's Master's, Men's Lightweight, and in the overall I lost by one point to the heavyweight. Again, I was training only two times per week and almost won my fourth natural pro card.

Here was my routine. You can make alterations as needed with exercises and reps, but the main thing to remember is that you have to bring it every time you train, and develop a sense of urgency and desperation every time you set foot in the gym. Remember... you only have two days in the week.

MONDAY:
    Squats: 3 warms of 15,10,5 reps
    3x10,8,4 reps
    Military Press: 2 warms
    3x8,6,4 reps
    BB Rows: 2 warms
    3x10,8,4 reps
    Weighted Dips: 1 warm
    3x 10,6,4 reps

FRIDAY:
    Dadlifts: 3 warms of 12,8,4 reps
    3x7,5,3 reps
    Leg Press: 3 warms
    3x15,10,8 reps
    Flat DB Bench: 2 warms
    3x8,6,4-5 reps
    BB Curls: 1 warm
    3x8,6,4 reps
    Standing Calf: 2 warms
    3x10,8,6-8 reps

Cardio was never done, and I remember that these were some of the hardest workouts I've ever done.

#1 mastover, Feb 2, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  2. CASD

CASD Well-Known Member

I'm at it again.. But the best results I had were without cardio also..
    I used Maximum Growth Vol 2 workouts... which is 4 times a wk

This time I'm going to do the same for 8 weeks and then switch to a Muscle/Lean type workout that does include cardio so between cardio and weight training it's 6 days a week

I can totally see how twice a week would work well..You have plenty of time to recover and rebuild your burnt stores and be totally refreshed

I've seen plenty of people get less from cardio the weight training in terms of weight loss, I prefer to lift to cardio

3. MT77

MT77 Active Member

My father only weighs about 160; can I increase the reps here? :D

Just teasing. Serious question - when you say 3x7,5,3 do you mean 3 total working sets or 7-7-7, 5-5-5, 3-3-3 (9 working sets)?

4. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

No, that's 3 total work sets.... not 9.

Have your father wear a 100 lb. weight vest while holding a 75 lb dumb bell in each hand, and you're ready for action. :tucool:

5. bdadavies

bdadavies Member

Hello

Im thinking of following this routine as I really dont have much time to train any more so twice a week would be great.

I notice that the reps decrease as the sets go up, does the weight stay the same or does that increase? If so any ideas to roughly what it should increase by.

Also roughly what percentage of the first set would the warmup sets be?

Thanks

6. bdadavies

bdadavies Member

I think OP may not be posting anymore, does anyone else want to chime in?

7. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

I don't want to speak for Mastover--he's knows his stuff much better than I do--but I will take a stab at it since he's been absent from these parts for a bit

I'm guessing weights should not be increased, because if so, he'd have mentioned it. As he put it, you need to do this workout with a sense of urgency, which means low rest times.

I also believe if MO was circuit training, he'd have said so (and the warm-up bit wouldn't make much sense) so, for instance, with the squats:

3 x 10, 8, 4 would mean pick a weight you could do for 10...but shoot for a weight you couldn't easily get to 11 with. Do your 10 reps. Rest, but only rest so you are refreshed enough to get 8. It should be short. No sitting around for a few minutes grooving to the music. Hit your 8 and then rest long enough to get another 4. Again, that should be a very short rest.

As for warm up, that's going to depend on the person. I do tend to warm up by increasing weight. This is listing 15, 10, 5 for warm up. That 15 has got to be a low weight or else you are fatiguing yourself before you lift. Keep it light. I'd guess 25-50% of what you are doing on the real lift.

You should get the blood flowing, not wear out the muscles.

Jaer
    is only guessing, though. He recalls Mastover being all about intensity--really pounding the muscles hard, feeling the pump, and keeping rest time low.

8. bdadavies

bdadavies Member

Thanks for replying.

Thats a great answer and covers all of my queries.

Thank you.

9. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Can anyone explain what the "warms" are in Mastover's 2 day split?

I realize they refer to warming up before doing the exercise -- but I am not sure what one is supposed to be actually doing.

For the warm-up, does one use weights, lighter weights--just go through the motion?

TIA :nod:

10. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I just noticed that Jaer, in his post gave what he thought was the explanation for warm-ups.

That makes sense. :nod:

#10 Justitia, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  11. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I am assuming that BB Row means "bent over " Barbell Row. Is that what others think?

12. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums: