1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Tweaky Shoulders While doing Dips

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by CharlesDance, Nov 11, 2011.

1. CharlesDance

CharlesDance Member

I was just wondering if anyone else here experiences significant pressure on the shoulders/rotators when doing chest dips?

I've yet to experience any sort of debilitating or sharp pain in the shoulders while doing them, however I definitely notice a very good amount of pressure, and I'm just worried that if I were to go to weighted dips, I might end up putting too much stress on the shoulders.

Are there any particular techniques or warmups that help with this? I always do them at the end of my chest workouts after I've had plenty of warmup sets on presses, and I try and do lots of ballistic shoulder stretching, but I still always feel a whole lot of pressure on the shoulder joints.

2. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

How deep are you going? Going too deep can be hard on the shoulders. Also .... for some people, if elbows are pointing out to the side when doing them, that can cause shoulder difficulties. Personally, when I do them, I try to have elbows pointing behind me to take stress off of the shoulder.

3. CharlesDance

CharlesDance Member

I try not to flare my shoulders at all, trying to keep them into my sides. I do try and go pretty deep, just to get as deep a stretch as I can..... perhaps I'm going too deep.

Also, I'm doing it on those machines that have the handles you can flip out to wider grips if wanted... I do them on the more narrow grip so that my arms are right into my sides

4. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

I had too ditch dips. If it continues to bother you i would just drop them.

5. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, while ROM is important, dips are one of those exercises that going for the extra stretch can put your shoulders in a compromising position. Try not going as deep and see how your shoulders feel. You'll still benefit greatly from the exercise, even if you aren't getting that extra stretch at the bottom.

6. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

I would work on Rotator Cuff exercises and shoulder joint mobility training.

Those poor old Rotator Cuffs can take a crap-kicking if they are out of condition.

And if you haven't got good shoulder joint mobility........that contributes to problems too.

Rotator Cuff exes should be standard protocol for EVERY lifter.

How much weight to use for R/Cuff exes?

On the one called Unilateral External Rotation, 9% of your one rep max on an Incline Bench for 8 reps would be the maximum weight. But start out LIGHT and work your way up SLOWLY over time
    other wise you may further complicate the issue.

Unfortunately many lifters only employ R/Cuff exes as a re-habbing program AFTER they are injured. If they employed it from the get-go they be would far less prone to injury and
    the result would be improved better lifts.

The book "Super Joints" by Pavel Tsatsouline is very good in regard to shoulder mobility training and good examples of R/Cuff exes are readily available on the net.

#6 HevyMetal, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011