1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Turning over a new leaf

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Naturegirl, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Butterflyer

Butterflyer Well-Known Member

I squat at home without a rack too:nod:, and I just make sure that the weight is light enough for me to clean and press without injury or excessive strain, so it's rather extra light for my legs. High rep sets make up for that though.:cry: I feel progress, and that's all that matters for me.;) It does take a while for everything to catch up, but not as long as you might think.:spaz:

I'm still doing pistol squats holding onto a railing in my apartment for balance. It's getting a little better!

The challenge of weight training at home in an apartment just never gets dull!! Even though I have a membership at the Y, I just can't take being around all those people too often. I figured out how often I have to go to make it worth the price I paid, and I may let the membership lapse after this year.

2. LarssonCrew

LarssonCrew Active Member

I'm a tad confused, are you diabetic or are you just eating low carb diet? The numbers confused me a bit because I work on the british system, so 3-8 is 'normal' , 8+ high and 20+ dangerous.

It's odd because when I get low blood I turn into an animal, and could gorge all day long until it felt like I was feeling ok again. As I said, even 10 carbs worth of non diet soda[like 100ml or something] should help give you a boost. If you're feeling that light that you can't climb the stairs then really you might have taken it too far. As soon as you feel like you're getting 'light', then for god sake eat something or drink something. It's a horrendous feeling, it really is.

Oh well, feeling low is alot better than feeling high, and oddly enough both carry similar symptons[exhaustion etc.]

I rememeber when my brother[non diabetic] was going to an athletics meeting for our county and got annoyed because we had nothing in the house drink wise with sugar in it[me and my dad both diabetic so everything sugar free], and ended up adding heapfuls of sugar to diet squash, ah, the memories.

3. Naturegirl

Naturegirl Well-Known Member

Seltzer - I think that's what I might do. It can get expensive anyway when you have to buy and taste different products, so I might as well buy my own ingredients individually. I was thinkig that the pineapple juice that comes along with the pineapple might work as a base but not sure :confused:

Nope didnt take the avatar picture, it sure is nice isnt it? I was drawn to it due to the sunshine coming through the tree leaves. Just like the ones I took of the poplar trees last summer. :dreamy:

Butterflyer - Even if I was on the bottom floor I think if I dropped any weights it would shake the walls so I have to be extra careful and that does indeed make it cumbersome hoisting a heavy weight. It makes you stomp your feet too. High reps - the burn oh the burn! :cry: I was looking at Crossfit (not sure what I think of that, still doing research) and they do that kind of stuff. The cool thing about lighter weighted squats though is you can get real deep and go real slow. Oh my gosh, last week I did some and really tried to go way past parallel with a wide stance, I'm not even kidding, for 3 days I could barely sit in a chair, I had hit my glutes like crazy! Unfortunately the fat on my glutes didnt seem to cushion anything. Didnt even know it at the time since I didnt do a crazy amount of reps or struggle terribly.

Larsson - Nope I'm not diabetic I just got a glucose monitor to check my blood sugar when I started eating low carb since it was causing hypoglycemic episodes. I did a lot of experimenting with my diet after I got my glucose monitor and started using ketone testing - it was very interesting :spaz:

Let's see, I found a website that converts. So 52 md/dl would be 2.8 mmol/l.

I get hungry at first too, but after the ketones kick in the hunger goes away. The need to refuel is still there and I will refuel, but that sensation of hunger isnt (though cravings for a certain food are another matter.) I get tired too when mine gets high and I get soooo thirsty and my heart starts flip flopping with irregular beats. Although my blood sugar doesnt get nearly as high as diabetics - I dont think I've barely broken 200 (11). That's still high enough to be damaging to the body in various ways from what I've read.

Hehe, your story reminds me of when I was a kid and would visit my dad. He ate healthy foods and never had junk food in the house. My brothers and I would always ask to get icecream or something, and my dad would say "Wouldnt you rather have some fruit?"

4. Happy Monster

Happy Monster Well-Known Member

:eek:

5. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

I hadn"t seen that website in my research, it's simple but effective. I liked the "how to eat a banana" article :) The Doggy Bag concept doesn't really exist in France, which is a real shame, though of course the portions are MUCH smaller and more realistic here. I guess in a pizzeria I could ask for a box to take half home :confused: but I don't often eat pizza. Even pizzas aren't huge and have very thin crusts :)

I like how you say you can eat as much as you like on maintenance because you trust your instincts :)

#305 Jedi, Jun 8, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  6. Naturegirl

Happy - It's true, I captured it on a holter monitor :D

Jedi - Is there any way to bring your own bag or container - is that a social faux pas and considered rude? I'm starting to really like thin crust pizzas. I used to love the thick Chicago style deep dishes but I'm learning to like the healthier thin crusts with ingredients like spinach and sliced tomatoes. As long as it has some cheese on it I'll be happy :lol:

Part of it is a concious awareness along with a natural instinct :nod:
    I remember I read the Okinawan Program years ago and in it the authors talk about how the Okinawans practice eating until about 80% full. I dont have the book anymore but they actually had a saying for what they were doing. That's a concious act and I do practice something like that. Me eating two times a day is more of a natural instinct.

I found fair trade organic minimally refined brown sugar. (Brown sugar is a must for my oatmeal and squash.) Also found organic stone ground blue corn tortilla chips with sesame seeds in them!

I think I should start tracking my daily food and exercise more precisely again. I'm feeling particularly grateful for having access to such good foods and kind of like I should celebrate it after so many years of having such a bad relationship with food and junk food.

Today I'll try to make a quiche to be eaten tomorrow. Quiches are really simple so I hope mine turns out okay. It'll have spinach and diced tomatoes in it.

#306 Naturegirl, Jun 8, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  7. Naturegirl

Got a hankering for beef barley soup so decided to make that instead of the quiche. I'm really having fun with these interesting colored foods - blue corn and purple barley :p. The more colorful the better though since it usually means special antioxidants or phytonutrients.

They had grass fed butter at the market too which I was totally psyched to see. They usually dont have that - just grain fed organic. Since it's limited I'm going to stock up my freezer the next time I go back to the store. It was a nice yellow color. Woohoo.

I cooked the beef barley soup in the crockpot and it was good - a little bland but I dumped some more big sweet onions in there and also added Himalayan salt which helped a lot. If you eat it with a slice of hearty nutty bread and butter it makes a nice meal (sprouted and bursting with whole sunflower seeds and flax seeds.) Then I baked an acorn squash cut in quarters with the pastured butter and brown sugar. The rest of it I put in the freezer - I'm putting everything in the freezer in an effort to conserve, and I hope all these things will come out alright. Some of them I'm not so sure about. I put a roast chicken in there - cut into sections, who knows how that'll turn out :lol:. Can't wait to cook up the asparagus and have it with fish.

Had a good workout this morning. The deadlifts were tough - I could get up to 75 lbs before my fingers started to hurt. The picture was taken a few minutes later when some of the pressure and blood subsided. Damn my little girly hands! I think since my hands are still a little fleshy that that probably has something to do with it and the discomfort will probably go away as I lean out (which I found to be true the last time I was leaner.) Getting gloves might still be a good idea since palms can get so sweaty.

#307 Naturegirl, Jun 10, 2008
  8. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

NG I am finding your journal very inspirational at the moment:nod: the USA remains full of oxymorons to me:confused: inredible percentages of obese people yet an awesome fitness industry catering 24 hours a day to all sorts of fitness options.... A vast fast food industry and yet a very developed organic industry with eg quite a lot of farmers markets with REAL organic stuff.... France really lies in the middle of these extremes.... I am not saying at all one is better than the other, just observing... for example I have never seen sprouted bread or grass fed butter here... anyway I am so looking forward to allowing myself LOTS MORE VARIETY than in recent months eg different fruits, squash as you have just eaten, different grains etc

9. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Active Member

I've completely expunged sugar from my diet (not all of it, I still eat bread) and have stopped monitoring my glucose levels (not really an intelligent choice, but I'd rather buy silver than those little expensive strips of pharmaca-inustrial gold). I do now know when I'm high and I have only felt it once in the last month. When did you first have that craving for sugar? (It took me 13 years to realize my feet were floating gently off the ground and the colors in the trees and sage were unusually vibrant once every month-I grew quickly in my 15th year and it was shorty after that growth that I would come home from baseball practice or my paper route and devour half a dozen apples and quarts of milk). It's really informative and reasuring to read your well written and long posts. I'm glad to see you doing well and tackling your personal dietary giant.

Rogo

10. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

"Here, butter, butter, butter...." "Have some grass." :D

Made me giggle. I've never heard of grass fed butter. I guess it only makes sense because there's grass fed beef, then grass fed eggs :lol: and grass fed milk. :lol: Does it have a significantly higher omega 3 content?

11. Naturegirl

Jedi -You're so kind :)

I probably represent an oxymoron too. People like their crap food but at the same time they know it's unhealthy for them so they try to eat better and exercise. People are what change the market with their consumer demand. There's been an explosion of organic and natural and low sugar foods and I'm not sure why it's reached such a fever pitch in this particular decade but I suspect it is has something to do with the current issues of obesity, diabetes, the climate, energy, and resources.

Your beef and dairy might not say grass fed because it might already be grass fed, I wonder :confused: Or at least it might not be industrialized. Here in the US industrial agriculture has been the norm probably since the 1950's and we have massive operations with thousands of head of cattle and dairy cows that live in feedlots. Then there are some medium sized operations that might not have enough land to support pasture and grazing, so they get fed grain or hay part of the year. I tried to look up some info but couldnt find anything outright about what your livestock industry looks like, but maybe you guys are somewhat in the middle like you said. It says that you're a big agricultural producer though. Maybe grass fed is the norm for your country and the surrounding countries, because here in the US it is not and so we special label it and it's rare to find it in an average store.

Do you get a good selection of plant products from other countries?
    All the special fruits here are pretty expensive so I cant buy those. Then the vegetables are less expensive, and the grains are even less expensive than that. If it's turned into something - like the sprouted bread or the blue corn chips it can be hard to find or expensive.

Rogo - Hi!
    That's really good to hear that you are doing so well :) Are you still monitoring periodically to see how much your blood sugar/diabetes is normalizing though? That'd be pretty neat to see :spaz:

Actually one of my very first memories involves sugar. I remember being three years old and my dad taking my brother and I to the gas station when we visited him. There was this gum that we liked - it was square and had juicey stuff in the middle. My older brother always got the green minty one, and I got the pink bubblegum kind. I craved sugar when I was a kid because we ate a lot of grains and didnt have much money. I would steal candy from the store because my mom wouldnt buy any junk food and I dont ever remember eating fruit (may have been too expensive.) I do remember feeling poorly years later as a teenager if I ate too much candy, pop, and snacks. But I think since I was still growing, I didnt have many issues with high blood sugar (remember I'm not diabetic.) I never started having major issues with blood sugar until I tried to cut sugar and starch from my diet at the age of about twenty (hypo) and at the same time started suffering binging episodes (hyper) so the two extremes did mess with me.

Guava - You know I dont know the omega-3 content of conventional butter :confused: There are studies on milk and beef but butter is hard to find. Here's something from Regina's Weight of the Evidence blog.

Per 100 grams.

Butter, conventional
    2.73g LA (n-6)
    0.32g ALA (n-3)

Butter, grass-fed organic
    1.8g LA (n-6)
    1.2g ALA (n-3)

And this is from the butter I bought.
    *contains 110 mg of CLA (conjugated linoleic acid), and 120 mg of Omega 3, and 262 mg of Omega 6 essential fatty acids per 14 gram serving.*

One thing you can see which is cool to be able to actually visualize a difference, is the color of the butter. I posted I think on page 8 some pictures of conventional milk I had in the fridge compared to my grass fed milk. The grass fed milk is actually yellow from the carotein and this butter is a nice yellow color too. I remember when I first really noticed butter after switching over from having eaten margarine all my life. I remarked at how pale it was and wondering why they made margarine so yellow. Turns out butter is supposed to be yellow and that's why they made margarine to look yellow like butter.

I never compared beef before but I was watching a show on TV and they had two slabs of meat - one conventional grain feed feedlot cow and the other 100% raised on grass, and you could see even the color of the animals' fat were different.

I wonder what they'll have next - grass fed yogurt! Or cottage cheese - how strange to eat yellow cottage cheese :D

#311 Naturegirl, Jun 10, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  12. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I think I have read that it does have a bit more omega 3's.

There was also a cow with genetic mutations I read about in Australia or New Zealand that produced lower fat milk naturally with a bit higher omega 3 content. Last I heard was it was in an "undisclosed location" and they were creating a breed/herd based off that cow's genetic advantages for healthier milk production.

NG: I have that blog set up in my RSS reader, too :tu: It's kind of a low carb slant, but it has some intersting stuff on occasion.

13. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

Most agriculture here is very industrialised but not all, as there are still quite a lot of small farms struggling with more traditional, or returning to more traditional, methods. I think I need to head up into the mountain villages nearby for grass fed butter. i remember us coming down a mountain a couple of years ago and arriving at a river and smallholding and as we already had some bread with us we were able to buy some home produced cheese (Tome) and a bottle of wine for our picnic, it was so simple and so yummee :drool:

One thing I loved in the summer here is coming across the shepherds and their flocks and dogs up in the mountains.

We do get a decent amount of exotic fruits etc but nothing like the choice you have. And I do buy pineapples and mangos occasionally but try to stick to more locally produced stuff or at least from Spain and Italy nearby.

14. Naturegirl

Andy - I have heard about that cow or some other special healthy cow. If it was a natural mutation I'd probably eat it or drink it, but if it was genetically engineered I'd be leary. They're cloning prized animals too, that way their offspring's DNA isnt tainted by an inferior mate.

I like Mark's Daily Apple and Art DeVaney's blogs too :tu:

BTW thanks for the tip regarding the lifts. I read and examined some videos more closely and you were indeed correct. I think I was trying not to let the bar bash into my chest so much, but I also needed to come under the bar more and get down into a good squat. I'm going to have to practice that a lot to find the sweet spot and the way in which to do it that works with my anatomy. At this time I'm having trouble with that cause I'm getting bashed. I looked at women's lifting (they have less mass so it's easier to see) and it appears that they let the bar rest between their clavicle and their neck. Perhaps also, that there is some amount of discomfort associated with this lifting and that's normal.

jedi - Me too, I adore going to visit small towns here in the US :dreamy: My Grandma and I went to Amish country once which is about as close to an old world feel as you can get here and we just had such a great time checking out the small farms and antique shops and crafts.

I was an idiot and burned my face off :o
    I bought a small tanning lamp since I've always hated being pale and figured it'd be good for Vit D - I do get tanned in the summer but here in Seattle you cant guarantee many sunny days. It's just a small lamp you can use for your face, but the rays actually reached past my chest and got a part of my stomach (I was sitting cross legged on the floor.)

I found out the hard way that those lamps are super powerful. Of course you never feel it very much while you're getting burned, and about 3 hours later I started to feel it before I went to bed. The next morning when I woke up my face was on fire. The next day after that I freaked to see that my face had swelled considerably and was stinging terribly - but at least the heat was gone. (Was relieved to read that it's normal to have bad swelling if you get burned on your face though.) Finally on day three the pain was gone and the swelling had gone down some, but now my skin was as tight as a drum, I couldnt even barely open my mouth to eat. And now I sit here itching and peeling :doh::doh::doh:

I started putting cod liver oil on my face on day two (didnt think to use it until then) and although it didnt smell terrific, it was the most soothing out of anything else I tried. Even aloe gel stung, but the cod liver oil was great, plus I was hoping the Vit A, Vit D, and added Vit E would help with healing (lots of articles and some studies about that.)
    Majorly learned my lesson there, getting burnt especially on your face is a very unpleasant experience.

I should be able to lift today and begin cardio tomorrow.

#314 Naturegirl, Jun 13, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Bummer about the bad incident with the lamp. I hope you're feeling better in short order.

16. Naturegirl

seltzer - Thanks. I'm relieved I only blistered slightly :spank:

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I really meant what I wrote, but felt foolish doing so after all the thought provoking and interesting posts in your journal recently. I've been keeping up with them, but haven't had time to really delve into the meat (no pun intended) as I'm immersed in putting the finishing touches on an analysis spreadsheet that I've been working on for far too long.

You always have such interesting conversations going on here. :tu:

18. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

It was a natural mutation. I think I posted it here somewhere, but am too lazy to look it up ATM.

I may look those up. I've got a ton of stuff in my fitness folder of google reader. I keep thinking of starting a post listing interesting fitness blogs and podcasts.

That front squat position is hard to get right. Most people still have some wrist flexibility issues, or get forward lean due to bad form which puts the bar more on the wrists when they start doing front squats. Cleans are similiar. I used to get clavicle bruises from the catch :)

:lol: I bet that didn't smell very good.

19. Naturegirl

Seltzer- Oh I'm sorry, I didnt mean it to come across that way :o The whipping smiley was not intended for you, it was for myself, as in, I was lucky my foolishness didnt result in something worse than a moderate burn.

You think my journal's interesting? :love:

Mannish - Mark and Arthur's blogs are about primal (evolutionary) health and fitness :tu: Mark is especially cool because his enthusiasm is infectious and he has a good way of communicating. His blog is very well balanced with science, health, fitness, and recipes. And I think one reason why it's one of my favorites is because he presents concepts with a lifestyle approach and ties everything together in a way that is practical.

At least I'm not alone in getting banged up on those cleans. I improvised (but maybe I shoudnt do that) and started using a bicep curl grip - palms facing me and holding the bar in front of my chest. It made a huge difference, my wrists didnt hurt anymore! So now I know it is at least partially a flexibility issue.

I got a bottle of regular cod liver oil capsules without the lemon flavor and split them open. They actually didnt smell as strong as the lemon flavored so that was something :lol:

I'm about ninety percent better today and pink but it's hard to believe considering the bad shape I was in just a few days ago. My skin was just destroyed and I was scared to see what was underneath the dead layer after it all came off in the shower earlier today, but was surprised to find that in fact my skin had regenerated very well. I attribute it to taking a hefty dose of vitamins and cod liver oil along with applying the cod liver oil topically three times a day.

How can I not be happy when I get to eat such good food while cutting? Sprouted grain toast with that wonderful butter and organic raspberry jam - raspberry jam! Small little green apples (love the sour green apples). Oh man and acorn squash with butter and natural brown sugar. Organic salsa to eat with the stone ground blue tortilla chips. :spaz:

#319 Naturegirl, Jun 15, 2008
  20. Naturegirl

Seeing the breadth of what I am lucky enough to be able to eat in a collective visual form can be quite inspiring :) I wasnt even able to include everything due to the limit of 30 images in a post -there are more like 45 foods that I love. It feels really good to get down to the simpler things, though they can be just as rich and complex in their own right!

Everything is turning out good on the cooking front as well. So many things can be frozen and saved. The roast chicken split up into portions and frozen reheats in the oven splendidly. The cooked squash reheated from frozen comes out fantastic. I froze some apples and reheated them to make baked apples (they're mushy after defrosting so can only be used for baking.) Cooked and frozen soup is a go. Almost everything can be frozen.

I never imagined I'd end up liking healthy foods so much I wouldnt easily eat less of them to facilitate fat loss. I think I probably did go slightly above what I needed when I found Bare Fruit a couple weeks ago (dehydrated and organic.) The cinnamon apple chips are soooo good, but since there's no water, of course it's easier to overeat them. We had an employee appreciation week and that did mess me up with the added concentrated starches and sweets though small (we got lunch everyday and potlucks.)

I've been walking but my last weight workout was a while ago.

squats - 70lbs 5x3, 75lbs 5x2
    planks - 10 lbs 30 sec x 3, 25 sec x 2
    pushups - 10 lbs 5 x 3
    overhead presses all the way behind head with full range of motion - (read that that might not be advisable) - 25 lbs 5 x 5
    bicep curls - 15lbs 5x5
    deadlift - 75 lbs 5 x 5 (damn my fingers hurt with that!)

#320 Naturegirl, Jun 28, 2008