1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Turning over a new leaf

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Naturegirl, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

I reckon most people never attempt to deal with their sugar addiction, it is much more socially acceptable than smoking :nod: So well done for attacking both at the same time:tu:

What were the native Indians in Washington called?
    I have been thinking a lot about change recently especially with my musings on the oil and credit crises :confused: On the radio this morning I heard that it won't be long til oil hits $200 per barrel!!:eek:

2. kree-kree

kree-kree Well-Known Member

You are absolutly beautiful! Its nice to be able to place a face with the journal. However, I have to say when I first joined JSF and saw Matts picture of the news girl as his avitar I was confused...thinking why she's beautiful. Then I realized he was a guy with a girls picture. :lol:I definetly see why she's on his avitar...shes stunning!

Good job on the smoking and sugar. I can't seem to kick the sugar thing. I believe that this a huge addiction most of America has especially with the kids these days. We need to do a better job in changing and teaching our children about food. I know I try but once they get to school its everywhere...its hard to say no when every other kid is doing it. Currently our highschools have pop machines in the hallways and snack machines which I have a huge problem with. It would be one thing if the snack machines had fruit, yogurt or cheese sticks but its chips, cookies and candy. This is one reason Americans are fat because we teach our children that if all else fails get it from a machine. Next thing you know there will be a McDonalds in the highschool cafeteria.

I

3. bmacntmac

bmacntmac Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing. As soon as I saw the new avatar in another journal I thought "The face definitely fits the personality." Very sweet!

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    NG, you look great in your new avatar!

I hope you're able to make some type of breakthrough with your mother. Your level of understanding and maturity is really something.

5. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

Both are difficult to overcome. Good on ya for taking control! :tu:

6. Naturegirl

Naturegirl Well-Known Member

jedi - Thankfully I think people are becoming more aware of refined sugars and carbohydrates due to diabetes.

The Native American population of Washington state belongs to two distinctive regional groups: those who live on the Pacific Coast west of the Cascade Range, and those who live on the Columbia Plateau, east of the range. Different environments and the mountain barrier resulted in two different cultures and lifestyles.Some of the principal coastal groups include the Quileute, Quinault, Makah, Lummi, Chinook, and Snohomish. Some of the principal Native American groups on the east side of the Cascade Mountains include the Okanogan, Spokane, Wenatchee, Yakama, Cayuse, Nez Percé, and Palouse.

We mostly learn about the coastal Native Americans here in Seattle.
    They're famous for their longhouses and carvings which include masks and totem poles.

Yeah I'm not sure how things will play out when it comes to all that stuff. Since we built our modern civilization to a large degree on oil and it's a finite resource that appears to be dwindling, we'll probably just continue to supplement what we currently have and what we continue to discover, with alternatives. When, if, and how this principal resource ceases I'm not sure because the experts have different opinions on it, though I have not heard of any that are throwing caution to the wind - they all seem to be apprehensive to some degree about what the future holds. I dont have much faith anyway, so I'm contented to just endure whatever comes down the pike. I'll be more than willing to help more once the situation becomes indisputable and there is a worldwide consensus, because right now I think our efforts are futile due to a huge number of factors.

kree - You're way too kind :o :lol: Dont we all just love Melissa :dreamy:

Well seeing how real sugars and starches are a natural foodstuff for humans, I can understand our inherited affinity for them. It's just too bad we mix them with artificial flavors, enhancers, and create delectable recipes - it's the perfect storm :D And true, it's very difficult when they're everywhere you look!

bmacntmac - What a nice thing to say, TY! :)

seltzer - Thanks! :wave: More flannel see?

I hope so too, I'm nervous about it (waiting also to hear from one of her close freinds) but I just tell myself to heck with it and just say what I have to and how I feel because it's coming from a place of good.

Ecrivain - Too bad sugar didnt turn me on like nicotine doesnt turn me on :spaz: I am always amazed how different people can truly be! I have met maybe one other person who smoked as little as me, nicotine just seems to hook people and their brain chemistry, just like sugar/starches always have with me. I dont seem to get addicted to chemicals - only edibles :lol: But you're right, they both can be quite addictive.

#286 Naturegirl, Apr 29, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  7. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

Wow mnay more tribes than I realised. As you mentioned earleir it is hoard to contemplate that it is only a century ago some some of these guys were canoeing Puget Sound...My degree was in anthropology so I am always fascinated by such groups... totems you find all over the world...

8. Naturegirl

Jedi I didnt know your degree was in anthropology! :spaz:

So I mentioned that I checked out intuitive eating after Jedi had said something about it recently in her journal. I didnt know that that's sort of what I was doing while I was practicing eating a maintenance diet. I had a general idea of things but it hasnt been until now that I've gained a lot of insight and got things really pinned down. I am now eating that makes me feel my best in every way possible. I've never been this happy. (And I'm on my way to my fat loss goals.)

I think I left off somewhere around superfood smoothies and not having a meltdown over biscottis. :D That evolved and settled into two meals a day. Breakfast and Dinner. Those are the times when my blood sugar is lowest and this is when my body tells me I need to refuel. It also depends on how topped off my glycogen is from what I ate the day or night before. If I ate more than usual, I will skip breakfast due to the lack of want or desire to eat, and just coast on whatever's in my tank until my body let's me know it's time to refuel, in which case I'll have a snack to tide me over until dinner.

Breakfast was sort of a quirky one to figure out at first because, as you might remember me mentioning, it was more of a case of me needing some fuel rather than me having a desire to actually sit down and eat something. Before, I would usually just grab some chips and a pop later on at work for brunch due in part to cravings. Once I started making superfood smoothies things became so much less complicated. I have the peace of mind of knowing I'm getting in all my veggies, fruits, healthy fats, and vitamins. Although if I was in the mood for pancakes or waffles I'd just have them for dinner or on Saturday.

Dinner is easy. Meat with a starchy and non starchy side and fruit for dessert. If I want to make a low sugar cobblar or have a biscotti that's cool too.

I learned that portion control is hugely important for me and was one of the keys to helping me begin to lose weight again. On low carb I stuffed myself with meat and veggies. If I was keeping tabs on calories I stuffed myself with giant salads. Overfilling my belly even on healthy foods was not teaching me good habits. I discovered the contentment of slowing down, enjoying my food, and being satisfied on just the right amount. I mean really sitting there and experiencing the meal. Taking a bite and savoring it and appreciating it. Looking at what I hadnt eaten and being excited about finding recipes for the leftovers or that I was saving money.

I learned to recognize when I truly needed to eat. Sometimes I wouldnt feel the urge to eat (like in the morning I usually dont feel much like eating eating) but my body was giving me signals that it needed to refuel, so I'd have a small snack. But in most cases my body tells me it needs fuel by making me hungry. Not emotionally eating. Boredom too, I didnt realize how entertaining food can be (I knew how time consuming when I lasted 5 days on the V diet.)

Not eating highly processed, complex, or novelty foods.
    Vanilla natural icecream versus the million other different complicated flavored icecreams. Steel cut oats versus instant flavored oatmeal. Plain bran flakes versus granola type cereals. Low sugar and low carb items were tempting - but again same problem as above and who knows how long they'll be on the market anyway. That's not teaching me to eat real food. Generally the fewer the ingredients the less is triggered cravings or overeating and I know this is like 'duh', but I also tried to find that balance between reasonable taste without it being too bland, and it not being too tasty so that I wanted to overeat it. The only exception is omelettes - I love a complicated omelette full of veggies and chopped meats and cheeses :D A healthy all natural thin crust pizza too. Finding all natural simple foods like jams, dressings, gravies, condiments, and grain products helped a lot because at this point I cant make those from scratch. But I can still find the practically homemade products from small companies or farms.

Recognizing the force of habit and not sabatoging myself over that! Also to live in the present when it comes to cutting especially. It did help me to think "I can have that some other time" but not dwell on how much longer I had to go. If I had a craving pop into my head I'd just act like it was no big deal and think that'd soon be gone.

As far as my fat loss goals were concerned I realized that for the time being, I would have to go with more of a low fat and low calorie approach so that I wouldnt feel so overwhelmingly deprived. Adding just a little carbs either for a snack if I needed it or at dinner made my eating experiences much more enjoyable so I didnt have that sense of loss or longing. The carbs at night help me sleep too and I cannot choke down enough protein to generate blood sugar all the time anyway. I appreciated healthier sugar and starch sources too after so many years of trying to kill the addictions to the junk food ones by abstaining, and trying to stay very low carb since it was higher in calories from the meats and fats. So now that I could have some carbs again I was like "Ooo, steel cut oats." "Ooo, raspberries :drool:" That or kick myself in the ass and start doing some serious cardio which is the only thing that will burn off any extra carbs and slim me down. (It's a good time anyway though because I do seriously need to become fitter in that department.) So once again portion control came into play, and that's been so much easier tha I thought :)

One of the biggest changes was my attitude. The more casual I was, the easier things got. I acted like things were a walk in the park. :lol: Even faced with a potentially distressing situation, it always paid to have a relaxed attitude and calming thoughts. I was displaying some of these attributes back a couple months ago I think it was. I think it comes down to appreciating what you get, accepting responsibility, and recognizing the benefits. The appreciation part really helped me - thinking to myself that it wasnt that bad and I sure was glad that here I am getting to eat yummy raspberries and whole grain toast. But if you really like that whatever it is that you want, just think of it as the special treat that it is. I ended up eating only half a biscotti eventually without even trying to. I just became satisfied on less. I guess doing things gradually did eventually work for me. That and I became less insane about everything.

There's probably more to it than that but wow I've gone on long enough, yes I have. I actually wasnt sure if I should even post about it because that's one of the things that helped change my attitude. Not thinking and paying so much attention to it.

I also stopped drinking coffee in the afternoons :tu: That's helped with my sleep, although this afternoon I napped too much and couldnt sleep tonight as a result. So here I am at 5:54 am having some coffee and half a biscotti getting ready for a weight lifting session, although I might have to postpone it until a bit later since I had to take a few cranberry and pain pills :cry:

Where is summer. It's freezing cold and raining outside. My best friend is moving to California so we're not going to be going on hikes or trips this summer.

#288 Naturegirl, Jun 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  9. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

What you describe is so totally "intuitive eating" and I anticipate getting the same sense of liberation by following it as you are ;) I haven't been logging my food in Dietpower the last few days (though I know exactly wjat I am eating because of SGX) but even that has been freeing for me. We are all so different and really need to find our own "way" :tu:

10. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Hey there! :wave:
    Well, a meltdown over biscottis is understandable. :D

That's an interesting control you have over your blood sugars. :confused: If I'm not busy, I'm genuinely hungry all the time. I have breakfast about 7:30, and ready for lunch at 10:00, but I usually wait until 11:30. Then I eat again at 3:00 and again around 6:00. Four "meals" a day for me, which is still fewer than the amount of meals recommended by most members on these forums.

I've been trying to do this too. You'd think it would be pretty common sense, but it's a surprisingly different way to eat. I have to give myself the "hunger test" once in a while, and say "If that piece of chicken wasn't covered in that sticky sweet barbecue sauce, would I still want to eat it?" I can manage my appetite a lot better and control cravings if I cook with more seasonings and fewer sauces. But I also have to have tasty things already prepared. Most of my cravings come about only when I've undereaten in the previous meal. And it's much easier to pop a muffin out of the freezer or spread some bread with peanut butter than it is to grill a chicken breast, microwave a sweet potato, and steam some cauliflower.

11. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

Great to see you're back, NG!

I can't imagine only eating twice or even three times a day anymore. I almost die of (genuine) hunger if I don't eat every 2-3 hours. :lol:

12. Happy Monster

Happy Monster Well-Known Member

Hello! :)

13. Naturegirl

jedi - You know what's funny is that tracking at first actually helped me because it allowed me to see all the things I could eat (gratitude factor) and really surprised me how many calories and carbs I could eat while still losing bodyfat or maintaining :tu: I think just like my glucose monitor and my ketone testing - it was a great tool to help me experiment.

guava - It was really cool seeing how my body reacted and adapted. For instance type two diabetics often will get hypoglycemic symptoms when their blood sugar starts to fall, even though their levels are falling into the normal range. Their bodies are used to operating on high blood sugars. (Hopefully someone on the board can give some insight into this too which would be great seeing as how I'm not actually a type two diabetic.) That happened to me too especially when I first started low carbing years ago. At first I'd feel hypo even though I wasnt, and then I would become hypo because my body was very sluggish at generating blood sugar from dietary protein since it wasnt used to that. Same thing with eating frequency, now it knows to use some stored sugar and fats between eating instead of bitching or freaking out about it. Plus I think it helps me not to rouse my digestive process and hormonal system all the time and get it all wound up. When I'm not eating it's more in a state of rest and quietly humming along.

Yes exactly. Some meals are good, a little too good. :lol: It's hard especially for someone like me who's culinarily challenged and never ate good home cooked meals. But I mean maybe I dont think I'm up to making my own jams and ice creams like my grandma did! I was also reading some cooking magazine and they were interviewing a fancy chef and he was talking about how he teaches his students the art of flavors. How am I supposed to know that adding a little vingegar would make all the difference? I'm reminded of a restaurant here that uses a pinch of nutmeg in their clam chowder - it's awesome. They keep the ingredients secret probably but I can tell it's the nutmeg that's the secret. They get all sorts of rave reviews because the clam chowder is so good, all because of that one unexpected ingredient. Same thing with me and the spices too - sauces can be fraught with problems. I lingered at the spice aisle the other day ad picked up valencia orange zest and whole pepper kernals. I'm excited about that. Not only that, but since I was trying to keep things natural, simple, and high quality - it meant paying more for better stuff. My conservation mode kicked in big time and I learned to appreciate using less.

Saving things can still be a pain though. Dairy is the worst. I gave up on salad greens. Some stuff freezes great though. I bought some giant sweet onions and bell peppers and froze those. I can freeze bread products and soups. I had to buy a big bag of baked potato sized russets and hopefully those will last a bit longer in my green produce saving bag (it absorbs rippening gases.)

J_W - Thanks!:) BTW you're making great progess - way to go!

I drove myself crazy thinking about brunch and lunch and snacks all the time - I could not escape thoughts of food and it absolutely crushed my spirit. Not to mention it was a pain in the butt due to inconvenience and all that eating added up at the end of the day. Now I dont have to worry about where or how I'll secure my next meal or snack or have to tote around food. It took a little getting used to at first. Dinner is the only meal I genuinely love to eat and have nothing but good thoughts and feelings about. There are never any issues with dinner. I love working up an appetite and it's so much easier asking myself the question everyday "What will I have for dinner tonight?" Instead of, "what will I have for breakfast today, what will I have for lunch?" "What will I have for a snack? " :cry: :no: Maybe it's easier for other people but I seemed to have to be difficult.

Happy - Hey :D

#293 Naturegirl, Jun 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  14. kree-kree

kree-kree Well-Known Member

Natural Girl- your posts was awesome. I really enjoyed reading the last couple! Its so nice that you have found a happiness with eating and feeling GOOD! Although I can't imagine eating only 2-3 times a day because I too feel like I'm always hungry (a hour or so right after breakfast...I feel like I could eat lunch but like Guava I hold off)

I feel like I have a lot of your same issues when it came to your previous eating...portion control is huge for me, carbs seem to only come off with a ton of cardio for me, I drive myself crazy thinking about food/snacks, when to eat next. I love your new attitude about of this! I'm trying each day and at this point I'm doing well. I seem to do better with the cravings when I have the right amount of protein in the body frequently. I am able to make better choices and able to use portion control. Its just those darn weekends that get me in trouble.

I'm glad you posted...your post help us all! It made me think:confused: about my own diet and feelings and where to go or continue going. Thanks!

15. Butterflyer

Butterflyer Well-Known Member

Hi Naturegirl! :wave: I'd been wondering how you were doing.

Your recent posts put into words things that have been running through my mind. But I'm never quite able to put those thoughts in writing.:doh: I tend to do better at all kinds of things when I "try" less. It's probably not so much making less effort, than it is just thinking about it less while using everything you've learned and paying attention regularly.:confused:

Sorry to hear your friend's moving-- I hope it's a good move for her though!

16. Naturegirl

kree-kree- Oh thank you! :)

I really saw that it wasn't just about changing what I ate, but how I ate and finding out what I really liked and didnt like. It was also about finding out how to get my dysfunctional hunger system back to normal. In our world it is extremely difficult to do this, especially when we're conditioned from birth (some of the food in the baby aisle looks like junk food) and compounding the problem there are often real underlying physiological disturbances.

I really like this website mindfuleating.org :) I just discovered it today and it totally captures how I've been thinking!

I used to think that my compulsiveness was too great for anything like that to ever work and the concept too superficial. I told myself I just needed to shut up and toughen up and face the facts. But when you're going to have to do this for the rest of your freaking life you see that you've got to find some way to make it work for you - some way that gives you a little bit of happiness and fills you with peace and satisfaction.

Some of the little techniques I have actually done! Like for instance at breakfast we go out every Saturday. I ordered pancakes and these pancakes are huge. So before I ever took a bite I cut them both in half and put the other half of the pancake along with the second pancake into the to-go box that I had asked for :nod: I put them in the freezer when I got home. Only shopping at the natural market, etc. This is really helpful for cutting purposes that's for sure. At maintenance I can eat as much as I like - since now I've learned to eat appropriately as much as I like. Cutting does involve some degree of calorie and macronutrient modifying so techniques and tools are very useful.

Butterflyer - Hi!
    Okay I'm going to be cheesy and quote a song by 38 Special - and of course it's not even about food :lol: You probably know the one, just hold on loosely, but dont let go, if you cling too tightly you're going to lose control.

My friend I think will at least have an adventure to go on - that's what I told her - go for it! She doesnt have anything to lose (the one that was suicidal) she's not happy here anyway.

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Great posts NG and I'm glad to read that you're happy with where you're at.

Don't sweat your lack of culinary skills too much. Start simply with ingredients you know you like and techniques that are easy to attain. There are plenty of resources you can tap into (books, web sites) to gain knowledge and experience plays a big factor. You will get better; maybe not as good as your grandmother, but better than you are now. Your goal standards needn't be those of a gourmet restaurant chef; getting healthy budget friendly weekday meals that don't take hours to prepare on the table is a lot different than preparing culinary works of edible art for paying customers and is a laudable objective in its own right.

18. LarssonCrew

LarssonCrew Active Member

Hey, guess I'm that diabetic.

I find as a diabetic that I'm running on a higher blood sugar than non diabetics, purely because if it hits the golden '3' or lower, that some people work at, I instantly want to get that up becase it feels horrendous.

Low blood sugar...well as a diabetic I'd imagine is it similar to a non, yet the fear of a life is genuinely there when I'm low. I know if I'm low because I feel light headed, weak and I shake uncontrollable. At this point my body goes into 'lifesaver' mode, and when I was younger[15-16, especially when I was growing taller] I could annihilate a packet of cookies[biscuits] in a minute or so when I was in this mode. My friends often want me to deliberatley give myself a hypo when theres a pizza eating competition because we'd probably win by a distance, but it's not worth it.

If you feel REALLY sluggish, have 1 or 2 biscuits/cookies and give it 5 minutes, see if you feel any better. One trick is not to eat until you feel it kick in, whihc I did when younger, but rely on the fact that small boost of 20 or 30 carbs will bring you back up.

I've always refered to low blood sugar as feeling 'light' because your body feels so lightweight.

19. Naturegirl

seltzer - :) Happy belated B Day.

Right now I'm trying to find the best jerk rub or sauce and an appliance to grill with. I definitely need a grill since I love chicken to be burnt and crunchy and you pretty much have to have it like that if you want it to be jerk style. It appears that like barbeue sauce there are some truly delectable recipes that set the standard for what a jerk sauce or rub should be. I saw some that were lacking cinnamon and nutmeg and apparently those are essential so I dont know how they could call theirs jerk :eek:

Larsson - Hello there, thanks for the perspective :)

Yep from what I've read once you get into the 40's it's considered not quite life threatening, but definitely dangerous. The 30's and you're on your way to a coma. By the time I get into the 50's (lowest ever for me was like 52) than I get the same symptoms you do. Profound weakness, shaking, sweating, tachycardia, pounding heart, headache, anxiety. I remember one time I could barely crawl up the stairs and felt like I was going to pass out - that was scary. That's the reason I got a glucose monitor in the first place because I knew I was hypoglycemic when I started eating low carb and based on the severity of my symptoms I knew it must be pretty low, but I didnt know exactly how low and that worried me.

I could see feeling lighter - less food weighing you down if you havent eaten much or gone too long without food and if that's why you're hypo. Also the adrenaline kick gets me going at first, then I bottom out, then if I'm unable to eat something at the time (happened once when I was at the beach) my body will kick into gear and generate some blood sugar and I feel better. Of course I would rather eat something if possible because you know where that sugar came from and I'm thinking about my poor muscles :cry: That actually does not happen but very rarely these days since I eat a few more carbs in my diet - even while trying to lose weight. The brain uses about 75-150 grams - it's somewhat disputable how much ketones lower this requirement but I've read that it's around 75. So now I give my brain at least 50 and it seems totally cool with that especially if I eat them at breakfast and dinner :tu:

Well my wrists hurt like hell and I've got a bruise on my top vertabrae :lol: It's hard to do squats without a rack but for once I really tried. I'm worried though because I have no idea how long it takes for tendons to develop strength compared to muscle, although those olympic weightlifters seem to clean and snatch and jerk incredible weights and sometimes I watch them and cringe thinking of the force on their joints. I'll probably have to wait for my joints to catch up to squat anything heavy. I did manage to put on my backpack with weights in it though and that seemed to work well even while I was freaked out trying to clean the bar (is that correct?) because I thought I'd fall backwards.

I was thinking about pistol squats too but I'm horribly inflexible and my balance sucks. My knees were crackling like puffed rice and holy crap I thought they'd blow out the force on them was scary. I need to practice more yoga.

Boy I still need to get on that cardio. I got my diet figured out and weight lifting is a pleasurable activity for me, as is flexibility training like yoga. The last one is cardio and that's the one I covet the most because I'm sooo lacking fitness in that area. :o It cant be that hard to go for a 25 minute HIIT session 3 days a week! :bang:

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks.

Good luck with your quest, which I don't think will be too difficult. You might be better off making you're own jerk rub as you seem to have a good idea of how you want it to taste. One of the nice things about rubs is that they will last a while and when I make one I make enough for several meals and stash the unused portion in the refrigerator. Since most jerk rubs have a wet component you'd probably be best off just pre-mixing the dry ingredients and adding the liquid as needed prior to applying it to the chicken.

I really like your new avatar. Did you take the picture?