1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

tuna and mercury

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by xcom, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Jaybird

Jaybird Well-Known Member

Thanks, AMR. Good post.

I'm not saying that if you go out and eat tuna you'll immediately get sick and die. I'm not saying that if you eat six cans a week, you'll get mercury poisoning. What I am saying is there is definitely mercury in tuna--and it's among the highest concentrations of mercury found in all fishes. This is something that we have to at least think about. After all, the tuna you eat becomes your body's biomass--mercury included. So, you're going to have mercury in your body. Mercury is very, very bad stuff, so I don't want any of it in my body. Over time, it will accumulate in your body, and this is directly proportional to the amount of mercury-containing foods you eat. I'd rather be on the safe side than sorry. No one knows the long-term effects of mercury--because this hasn't been an issue in our wildlife for an overly long time. But people do know the negative effects of mercury--they've known them for a long time. Have you ever heard the expression, "As mad as a hatter?" This is from the old hat makers who used mercury on the fabric--I think it was velvet--the mercury was a fixer. The hatters used mercury every day, and they got sick. In fact, they went crazy and lost control over their nervous system. Anyway, I don't want to argue this point anymore. Mercury is bad, and it's in tuna, so just be careful how much tuna you eat.

And as far as the DDT goes, I used that as an example of how a "miracle" turned sour. I didn't want to start an fight over DDT. But DDT is bad stuff, and to anyone who thinks it's not is not properly informed. But I'm not going to debate that any further.

2. Naytch

Naytch Well-Known Member

Would methyl mercury show up in a regular blood screen?

3. inurb

inurb Well-Known Member

Well by one of those pdf's posted a 200lb man could safely eat 10 oz's of Tuna with no problem.

Also one thing no one has mentioned is that Solid white albacore tuna is the kind with the higher concentration of mercury. Chunk light has a much lower mercury content. It really doesn't mean anything to me because I hate chunk light and I only eat the solid white albacore.

I'll keep on eating tuna until some definitive studies prove that the mercury in it is harmful to my health.

4. NEdge

NEdge Well-Known Member

Exactly, and for thet matter, what's wrong with cigarettes? I used to smoke several a day, often while at the top of a 14er or after a good mountain bike ride. When I was smoking I was the fittest I'd ever been so they couldn't have been doing me any harm.

5. kingink

kingink Well-Known Member

My nursing instructor's daughter had chronic fatigue due high mercury levels caused by excess consumption of canned tuna fish. She ate a can per day. She is a competitive marathon runner and found tuna to be a very good and relatively inexpensive source of protein.

6. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Jaybird -- I eat a can of sardines 5-7 times per week because of their incredibly high omega-3 fatty acid content. Another benefit is that they are small fishes and have lower mercury concentration than bigger fishes like tuna. You mentioned that your professor recommended sardines, but does he (or you) suggest specific limits on sardine consumption? I fear that in essence, I may be turning into a predatory fish myself (by consuming all these little fish) and as such, building up a certain amount of mercury in my system.

Also -- John Stone mentions that he eats a can of tuna a day and has done so for two years -- the implication being that he is fine now, so the tuna must therefore be harmless. The problem with this thinking is that the effects of cumulative mercury poisoning manifest themselves over the long-term .... and the mercury now in his system may not produce obvious symptoms for many years down the road.

Anyway, I agree -- better safe than sorry. I never eat tuna more than once per week.

7. swiss chris

swiss chris Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have been lurking around here quite a bit.... Here is a Story I heard

I knew a guy living up by Lake Ontario, we would go out on his boat and catch salmon and trout.. (BIG ONES) Delicious..

This guy worked for the state fish and game division as a biologist.

When I asked him about mercury and other crap in the fish he said it was not really a problem...

Here is why,

When the government tests a fish they take the entire fish and stuff it in a blender... grind the whole thing up into fish pulp and test it.

This includes all the guts, bowels and THE LIVER.

The fish's liver has the highest concentration of toxins and chemicals as the liver is the filter for the blood.. He said as long as you dont eat the livers or the guts.. you'll be fine. The presence of the inards in the fish pulp makes for a high reading that may not be in the fish meat..

I dont know how true it is but

I thought it was an interesting point..

Thanks

You guys are a great inspiration :tu:

Chris

8. Tanis6909

Tanis6909 Well-Known Member

man, all this debate makes me really glad i cant stand tuna... :p
    salmon, haddock and tilipia on the other hand..... :drool: