1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

tricep workouts women should never do?

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by Buttersweet, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Buttersweet

Buttersweet Active Member

2. spatzcat_11

spatzcat_11 Active Member

I don't think they really meant 'women' should never do them. Nobody should ever do them. In my opinion, they are useless exercises that don't offer much benefit. Try Tricep pushdowns, or cable exercises? God, my triceps hurt just from doing prone cobras...

3. modmaven

modmaven Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

I think for both men and women the tricep extension is an inefficient exercise -- but it's wrong to say that women shouldn't do them. It would be the same for men. As for dips, these could be a problem for women and men with shoulder problems. I have a torn rotator cuff and was told by my doc to cut out all dips. He'd say the same to a man with a torn rotator cuff. In any case, the article is being sensationalist about what women shouldn't be doing.

For a home gym, do you have a pull up bar? That will work your triceps, along with pushups. And you can throw in some tricep extensions -- NO harm done. :)

4. Mauidude

Mauidude Active Member

I agree that the title of the article is a bit on the sensationalist side. Its not that these exercises are bad, its mainly that they aren't the most efficient means to properly isolate and exercise the triceps. For instance, I've found the following exercises to work well for me:

tricep pushdowns (cable machine)

skullcrushers

Standing behind the head one are tricep extensions

French curls with dumbbells

You can also do pushups with a narrow stance with your arms in order to isolate the triceps. (A wider stance tends to work the chest more). For women who don't have the strength, you can do them on your knees.

5. Buttersweet

i just have dumbbells, and since I rent the apartment I can't install a pull up bar, which I would really like to have. For most exercises I only have my own body weight to work with, and pushups with a narrow stance is what I've been doing. But I have to say, doing dips never felt even slightly uncomfortable for my shoulders.

6. Laneage

Laneage Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

7. Blighty

Blighty Active Member

As well as the other suggestions, you could do a form of triceps extension using things around your house. Like this very strong chap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MRwdZLZ_fg

His reps seem insanely high. Many men and women might need to reduce them. And might need more rest between sets.

8. Buttersweet

:confused: I'm not sure how it works really, but I'll look into it, it doesn't seem expensive either. tnx!

I've been thinking about where to do it in my house, and so far nothing seems stable enough and gives room for my head at the same time:lol: but i'll think it through. in the meantime, i'll continue to do dips.

9. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Diamond close grip pushups with shins elevated on a swiss ball, chest touching hands.

Diamond close grip pushups on one leg up on a bosu ball, chest touching hands

If you can do 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps of either exercise, you are totally badass and the next step would be to wear a weighted vest. These two movements work great for the guys, as well.

10. Jamez

Jamez Well-Known Member

Why shouldn't females be allowed to do Tricep Dips?

The Tricep Dip exercise is a great compound exercise that involves upper body strength. I don't see any reason why anybody shouldn't be allowed to do it unless they have some sort of injury, or improper form.

11. Buttersweet

I don't think I can do one:o, but I'm starting this now. Instead of a ball I'll do them on my knees as well, but I have a clear goal now and I'll track my progress.
    Thanks.

12. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member
    Bronze Member

:tucool:

been doing these whenever i'm stuck in a hotel and they murder my tris. although i just do them on a chair or the bed since i don't have a swiss ball or bosu. i'm guessing they are quite a bit harder on the ball.

13. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

In the article it says that you should not do Tricep Kickbacks partly because it is impossible to do them with heavy weights.

This shows how little the writer knows because the Tricep Kickback was never meant to be done with heavy weights.

The Tricep Kickback is all about TECHNIQUE.

again........TECHNIQUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

99.999999999999999% of the population does this exercise wrong.

Just about everybody thinks that using a lighter weight for this ex is "wimpy".......so they jack the weight at each and every opportunity,
    paying zero attention to how they are doing it.

WRONG!!!!!!! !!!!!!!! !!!!!!! !!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

It's not about the amount of weight lifted on this ex.

Even the name of the exercise is wrong....you do NOT "kick" the weight back on this ex.

You use a lighter weight, move the weight back s-l-o-w-l-y and S_Q_U_E_E_Z_E the Tricep forcefully while doing so.

If your Triceps don't catch fire while doing this...you are doing it wrong.

#13 HevyMetal, Nov 19, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  14. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

From the article:

I can't say that I've ever been told to do tricep work everyday. Am I missing something?

Last time I checked, simply working ones arms doesn't equate to a fantastic upper body.

:lol:

This is a dumb article right from the start.

There is nothing wrong with doing tricep kickbacks as long as the person doesn't cheat. If the weight is allowed to swing, it completely defeats the purpose. If a person doesn't have DB's, a decent resistance band will make the triceps burn as well, again assuming the person doesn't cheat. Anybody can yank / release a resistance band. While it may be fun, it does nothing for the triceps unless there is continuous tension on the muscle with very short rests between each set.

#14 Zilla, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  15. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

There are plenty of exes that will build triceps better than Triceps Kickbacks.

If you do T/K's only and nothing else....you aren't going to get much muscle.

The T/K is a move that should only be done after the triceps have already been challenged with some other ex.

The T/K is basically a "finishing" move designed to improve tricep muscular definition.

As stated, by itself, it doesn't do much.

Some people think if they do T/k' s only, with heavy weights, that's all they need. Wrong.

Ironically , the way heavier you go in weight with a T/K the less the benefit.

Such things as Dips, Close-grip bench,Triceps pushdowns, Pushups etc. etc. will all be better than the the T/K for building tricep mass.

But to make nice even nicer....you could finish off with T/K's.

16. polyphony

polyphony Well-Known Member

Dang it! Something else to buy! :lol:

I have been wanting a chin up bar but didn't want to fork over big bucks. This is affordable. Thanks for the tip!