1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Traps

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by mastover, Jun 29, 2011.

1. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

It is funny, because one of the clueless guys I was referring to was myself...lol. Some guy on another site PM'd me asking me for tips on how to develop his traps -- I felt stupid because I basically had to reply "I dunno, I've never actually done any direct trap work".

2. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

If this is a problem, set up an adjustable bench to about a 75 degree incline. Grab two heavy bells then sit on the bench with your chest braced against the pad. The slight incline will force the traps to work harder and again, there is no leg involvement.

3. That_Muscle_Guy

I do agree that calves and traps are mostly genetic. I have worked the crap out of both of these muscle groups and I only see little to no growth. I can put on pounds and pounds of muscle in every other body part but I will still see no growth in my traps or cavles, and legs for that matter.

I will probably try out the workout routine that the OP has posted and see if I have any results from that though.

4. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

Adam (Mastover):-

In this thread you refer to a "Deadstop" Row....done on a Smith machine....for Trap development.

Is this a "bent-over" Row?

What angle is the upper body?

Question:- if you have a Smith machine.....and if you do Shrugs where the palms are facing forward....and you let the bar rest on the stops between each rep......how effective is that for Traps?

5. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Hey Hevy, who is Adam? ;)

Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBd_LB5MJPc&feature=player_embedded

I've never done shrugs with a barbell or smith machine with the palms facing forward. Give it a shot and tell us how you like them. I like doing behind the back BB shrugs off the rack where the pins are below knee level. Dead stop on the pins with each rep. This will incorporate just about everything including the quads and hams.