1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Traps

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by mastover, Jun 29, 2011.

1. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

I get a lot of PM's and e mails regarding trap growth. For the most part, traps and calves are genetic. If you want to train traps directly, I would schedule a separate day for them coupled with hamstrings.

Seated DB Shrugs:
    3 sets of 12 reps with a 3 second squeeze at top (this will take the legs completely out of the picture and destroy the upper and lower traps. At the top of the movement rotate your hands so that your palms are facing the rear) 60 sec between sets.

Power Hang Cleans 1 warmup of 10 reps
    3 sets of 4-6 reps (Use the same weight on all three sets but go heavy on these and rest 2 minutes between sets)

DB Romanian Dead Lifts: 1 warmup of 15 reps
    3 sets of 6 reps (rest 90 sec between sets)

The hang cleans will also stimulate shoulders, back and rear delts. Make sure that your pre, intra, post workout nutrition is excellent with this routine and you will notice definite improvements within 6 weeks. Do not train one day prior and one day after a specialization routine.

If you do this, make sure to let us know with your results! :tucool:

2. iheartlamps

iheartlamps Active Member

As someone who in the past had the traps of a teenage girl I can say cleans work wonders. Also something I attribute probably 75% of my trap growth to is a neck harness, 2x25 when I wake up and 2x25 before I go to bed worked wonders for me.

3. Candyce

Candyce Active Member

I have pretty big traps for a woman...I know theyre meant to tie in the waist but I feel a bit conscious of mine I wish there was a way to shrink them...my neck is quite veiny from lifting weights as well...together I dont like it one bit.

4. mastover

Hi Candyce, avoid all shrugging motions and prior to your back workouts, or when you are doing stiff leg deads, incorporate the foam rolling to your traps with this device, the Tiger mini foam roller for about 5 minutes before your shoulder and back workouts. Other than this, traps, calves, abs are simply a genetic anomaly.

Here's the link to what I recommend...

http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=52023

5. Candyce

Candyce Active Member

I wonder if me being a hairdresser doesnt help with this...holding a hairdryer at shoulder level for 20 minutes per client?

What does the foam roller do?

6. mastover

I see no problem with being a hair dresser, Candyce. The foam roller will "pre exhaust" your muscles (traps, neck, back, delts) before your training which will weaken the target muscles worked if a dominant muscle group, your traps, are a problem. Pre exhaust can also bring up a muscle group if there is a weakness with a muscle group. This should be periodized in either case.

7. Candyce

Candyce Active Member

Very interesting, Ill buy one as soon as I get paid, Im reading up on all this foam rollering...wish Id read about it sooner!

8. AcridSaint

AcridSaint Well-Known Member

Aram - would it also be worthwhile for her to do some static stretching targeting the traps? My understanding is that static stretching directly before lifting can reduce the efficacy of the lift.

9. mastover

If traps are a concern, and the traps are overpowering, I would eliminate any direct shoulder exercises. The delts are hit forcefully whenever you train chest and back. I would retain DB lateral raises...

10. stallion16

stallion16 Well-Known Member

Oh, I really like this idea. I've never done them seated, but I have a good feeling I will like the result. Lucky for me, I'm working shoulders and traps tomorrow so I will def give this a shot. Just curious, why do you rotate the palms?

Thanks for the idea, Mastover!

11. mastover

If you go heavy enough and rotate the palms as specified, the lower traps will be hit big time. If you rotate palms where they are facing the front at the top end of the movement, you will recruit the entire trap girdle simply because your shoulders are rotating back naturally.. Make sure to initiate the 3 second squeeze. This is a big difference maker...

12. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

^^ Very true. A lot of people with really well developed traps haven't a clue how to build them because they have never had to do so. Personally, I've found that people who've had lagging traps, but built them up over the years are a wealth of knowledge when it comes to increasing trap size.

13. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

This is a very general statement, but I consider my traps a strong-point and I've never trained them directly. Deadlifts will build them to an extent, but if you want quicker results, yeah, you're definitely going to have to tailor a program to them.

14. mastover

I agree with my esteemed friend, Pete. Also wwith Joe. I hardly ever train traps directly yet they remain one of my strongest body parts. Anytime I do any dead lift variant, my traps explode. Genetics are basically everything.

15. stallion16

I don't think anyone will argue that genetics matter...but when you're deadlifting like 700 lbs, I think you'll have all the size you want on your traps regardless of genetics or how many shrugs you do. You're just in pure beast mode, my friend.

UPDATE: I gave the seated shrugs a try today and they were great. Thanks for the idea, Mastover. My only complaint is that the sides of the dumbbells would bump into my thighs occasionally. Otherwise, great exercise for isolating the traps. I will keep this one as a staple in my repertoire.

#15 stallion16, Jul 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  16. mastover

An absolutely great exercise for traps (also the rhomboids, lats) is doing dead stop rows in the smith machine. This will absolutely crush the middle and lower traps, which in turn equates to more upper and overall trap growth. Another incredible trap and back movement is T Bar rows done with a 2-3 second squeeze at the top. Do not use the legs to minimize any momentum and your traps will be destroyed. Usual poundgages used will have to be reduced, but man will these really nail the traps and upper back.

17. stallion16

Dead stop rows? are these upright or regular rows? Im assuming you are completely relaxed (not holding the weight) at the bottom of the movement (hence...the "dead stop")?

18. mastover

These are barbell rows done in the smith machine with a 2 second pause with the bar resting on the pins at the bottom after each rep. Incredible for lats and traps.

19. stallion16

Another exercise I enjoy that hits the traps, upper back, and the biceps particularly well is the supinated-grip 3/4 row. Pick up a barbell with palms-up grip and bend at the waist SLIGHTLY. The upperbody should NOT be anywhere near parallel to the floor, in fact it should barely be 45 degrees (angle at hips). Slight bend at the knees and row the bar into the stomach with a squeeze at the top. Great for mid traps.

20. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

Heavy Cheat(or power) Shrugs really brought up my traps. I work up to 585 or 675 and cheat the crap out of the motion, but it has caused quite a bit of growth.

D