1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Training when self employed

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by stefanjagger, Oct 2, 2008.

1. stefanjagger

stefanjagger Active Member

Recently I went self employed and haven't been to the gym since!

Each day I feel like I need to work all hours working on web design and such (www.faithinme.co.uk if interested).

I was wondering how you manage to go to the gym. Without a set routine i'm finding it difficult and always making an excuse of working, when a few months ago i'd have loved to have the opportunity to gym during daytime when the machines are empty!

I thought of renewing my gym membership, but that costs £30 and I can buy some advertising instead.

I'm a bit stuck really, and I need some guidance to get out of this rut before it digs too deep.

2. adamh707

adamh707 Well-Known Member

You need to realise that you work for yourself. Do you live to work or do you work to live.

One of the many advantages of working for yourself is that it gives you the opportunity of freedom (work to live). Are you feeling pressured by your line of work, do you have a set out business plan/model/budget of spending, if you don't then i suggest sitting down and work out what you want to achieve in the next 12 months in your business. This includes a advertising budget.

Remember 30 minutes a day is easy to come by once you sit down and prioritise. I suspect getting your job in order will free up your time.

3. kribrg

kribrg Well-Known Member

Well, you have to pay the bills and starting out that is probably hard to do right now. I am in the same boat.

What I have been doing lately is short sessions in my garage with nothing more than a 300lb weight set and light DB's.

2 Days ago I loaded up the bar and did about 10 minutes of deadlift singles. Yesterday I grabbed 65 lbs DB's and repped out 3 sets (23,20,20) with a couple of minutes rest and that took about 8 minutes.

It is easier to hold onto muscle with very little training. Am I gaining muscle? Probably not. At least when I get back in the groove I can just ease back into a program rather than feeling like I am starting over.

4. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I'm not sure what the problem is. :) Do you have that much business that you're trying to get it all done? Or are you just nervous about missing opportunities while you're training? Just losing the motivation to train because something new and exciting is going on in your life? Don't want to spend money on the gym membership?

What I found out long ago is that work suffers if I do not make training and eating clean (most of the time anyway) a priority in my life. I remember a long time ago Bill Phillips was trying to shoot down some myths and he said "Myth number 134254346: I don't have time to lift weights. No, no, no, the fact is I don't have time NOT to lift weights."

It was weird the first time I heard it too, but it makes sense now. For most people, I've noticed that if they make exercise a priority in their life they feel more energetic and get more done during the day. Their moods are elevated and they perform better. When they slack off from exercise for too long, they feel run down, and sitting and staring at the computer screen for too long really can make your creativity suffer.

For what you are doing, I actually think making the time to get to the gym would HELP business.

A 24-hour gym wouldn't hurt either. I very often pull into the gym parking lot around 12-1am. :)

5. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Sometimes it's both.

6. stefanjagger

stefanjagger Active Member

That definitely hiit home 1FastGTX, thanks guys.

Im getting obsessed - cashflow tells me that i'm already 3 weeks ahead on earnings for October yet I feel like I need to earn more. Next month could be slow, Christmas around the corner, credit crunch etc.

I need to change back to how I was and it starts from today. I better get my breakfast... I have shopping to do and lifestyle to mould a little.

Thanks again, I always value other peoples time and knowledge. :nod:

7. NCNBilly

NCNBilly Well-Known Member

Don't forget that the gym is a place for some socialization as well, going at the right time of day can get you some business leads you might otherwise have missed.

If you can do some serious lifts, invariably people will start to enquire and you just might mention that you put just as much work into your web design business. :)

8. Eagle Tree

Eagle Tree Active Member

Because I work out at home, I treat my workouts as the thing that can get me away from work, might be harder with a gym. It is 20 feet between my plates and my computer. I could do, and have done 18 hours a day, most often 12. With a massive web business, many circuits and many projects, I could consider myself years behind at any given time or just figure it will be there. The workout is about one of the best excuses possible to step away from the computer and phone for something other than eating, sleeping and other personal needs directly related to the body. I even recently used a program effectively where I'd do two workouts a day (AM/PM) and drew myself away for a bit longer. It actually helped me break out of the obsession with getting back to my network monitors, development, warring with the spammers. The more you step away, the more you realize you can let it slide for a few moments.

There is no question that when you start a business, you have to crank everything into it you got, and sometimes things suffer (skip lunch, skip dinner, go to bed too late), those things happen and almost have to if you are going to achieve success. Only obsessed people will create a wildly successful enterprise (for the most part, depends on the individuals ceiling on the the definition of success and the business model). You counter that intentionally by at least doing the health oriented stuff, don't skip dinner, don't go to bed too late and don't skip the workout. Be happy with skipping the TV, the going out to dinner, and the weekend trips, those are sufficient sacrifice for focused success. Skipping the other stuff will hurt your success eventually.

Again, this probably is easier if you put a rack, plates and bars in your bedroom. My rest between sets is almost always going to the screen and checking monitors and mail, then to my workout drink and then back to rack, if that tells you anything. I get my workout in and work doesn't suffer.

9. modmaven

modmaven Well-Known Member

As an academic on sabbatical with several writing projects ongoing, I always feel that I ought to be working. I find that if I hit the gym really early in the day I feel less guilty about it.

10. Timbermiko

Timbermiko Well-Known Member

Very spot on:)

11. petvan

petvan Well-Known Member

just figure out your priorities.. sitting around all day trying to work is not horribly effective. I've worked at home for years and spread the work out over the day mixing in some other stuff.. when i work, i'm focused.

if you want to go the gym and it matters, i'm sure you'll find you way there.. seems like you have a much better chance of getting there than dudes doing college/work etc, or trying to be a travelling sales dude with 2 kids under 5 and a house that needs full time reno work done ;-)

P