1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Training for the underweight

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by mastover, Jul 23, 2012.

1. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

I get many emails, PM's, and personal questions at the gym from people who want to look like the guys on the cover of Flex magazine. In other words.... they want to get BIG. The problem here is when I see these guys train, or inquire about their training routine, they are doing exercises that are counter productive to their goals. Take the 5'9" 120 pound guy at one of the gyms where I train. All I see him do are curls, laterals, leg extensions, pulldowns, wrist curls, and tricep pushdowns. This person mirrors the people who contact me via PM or email. For these underweight people, I recommend training 3x per week. For most, they would benefit from 2x per week training. Perhaps TUE/FRI.

Standing Military Press: 2 sets of 8 to 10 reps
    Squats: 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps
    Barbell or Dumbbell Flat Bench Press: 3 sets of 8 reps
    Chin Ups or Bent Over Barbell Rows: 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps
    Dips or Close Grip Bench Press: 1 to 2 sets of 8 reps
    Standing or Donkey Calf Raises: 2 to 3 sets of 12 to 20 reps
    Dead Lifts: 1x10-12 reps

I like doing dead lifts at the end of the workout simply because at this point in the workout you are weaker and will benefit from the higher reps by tapping into motor units that have remained dormant. You will recruit more muscle fibers (there are many, many more muscle fibers than just white twitch and red twitch)

Notice there are no curls, laterals, wrist curls, leg extensions, etc.

The main component will always be the nutrition. These skinny guys think that they are eating enough with 1800-2000 calories a day, yet are training 4-5x per week with 14+ sets a body part.

Increase the calories. EAT. Drop the volume. Follow the routine above. (Make sure to warm up with 2-3 light warmup sets prior to the work sets), take each set to failure and increase weight for next time by the smallest possible increment when you hit the highest rep range specified. Report back here in 3 months, and I guarantee you will be a different man (or woman)

Post your before/after pics.

Let's get our MASS on!! :tu:

2. TooMuch

TooMuch Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sounds like a nice routine for winter, when I cant run. At 75 kg, 175 cm height I could use some muscle! :tu:

3. TheThirdMohican

TheThirdMohican Active Member

I'm going to try this.

Aram, at 6 foot 3 inches 190 lbs, ~18% BF would you recommend doing this 2x or 3x a week? Assuming I am going to be adding some HIIT cardio 2x/week as well and aiming for increased mass.

#3 TheThirdMohican, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  4. neonch

neonch Well-Known Member

Do you have a basic routine like the one listed above for a fat guy?

5. mastover

I'd go with 3x per week if time constraints are not a problem.

This workout will work for anyone regardless of goal. If you're a fat guy, you can't out lift a poor diet.

6. TheThirdMohican

Thanks Aram! :tu:

7. TheThirdMohican

Aram how would you (or would you) incorporate abs and/or cardio in this routine? Initially I planned on doing them on off days but I find myself needing the rest and don't want to overtrain.

8. mastover

I would avoid all low intensity cardio. It impairs strength and hypertrophy and lowers metabolic rate. If you want to do abs, weighted steep incline crunches can be done 1x per week for 2-3 sets.

9. mrs1986

mrs1986 Member

Mastover, can I, as a beginner, do this routine you post? Or should i start whit something else??

Also, i'm controlling my diet so i can go down in weight, can this be done equally??

Thanks!!

10. mastover

If you know proper exercise execution, and your diet is supporting your goal, you can absolutely do this routine... Yes.

11. mrs1986

mrs1986 Member

Thanks a lot!!

I'm doing my best to get the diet to support it!! I just got a balance to weight the food I eat, and trying to take full control of my meals to get this goals :D

12. TheThirdMohican

Is it normal to be really burnt and nauseous at the end of these workouts? I am not sure if I am doing something wrong but I have never encountered a routine I didn't eventually adapt to. But it's been 6 weeks and I still am physically struggling at the end of these workouts. I've changed my preworkout meals, my in workout hydration, etc. and no improvement.