1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Training for Obstacle Race (Spartan Race, Warrior Dash, Tough Mudder, etc.)

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by BJ, Dec 15, 2010.

1. BJ

BJ Active Member

2. MT77

MT77 Active Member

Some coworkers of mine did one this summer. Endurance is the biggest factor - these guys are 5k and 10k runners and they said it kicked their butts.

3. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

I see you have a block M as and av. I won't hold that against you ... GO STATE!

As you probably know, there is a Warrior Dash coming to MI later this year. It will be held in Mt. Morris, just ten minutes north of Flint.

The total run distance is only 3.3 miles, but the main part is trails, plus the obstacles.

I plan to run it. My strategy is that you can't count on cardio fitness alone, and you can't count on strength alone. It has to be cross training. I am a dedicated endurance athlete. I train swim, bike, and run, with limited resistance training. About a month before the race, I'll start throwing in a bunch of upper-body movements. Pull-ups, push-ups, dips, etc. Basically anything that I can use to drag my body over stuff. The mud and water crossings are not a concern as I have lots of lower body strength for that.

Race strategy will be to limit anaerobic exposure during the race. Keep my running pace below my normal running race pace, to keep a little bit of a buffer for the obstacles.

I'm curious to hear other strategies though, I have never done a race like this.

4. BJ

BJ Active Member

We are actually doing the one in Columbus in June... I live in Ohio, so it's closer for me.

Good luck in your preparation!

5. jeremy155rr

jeremy155rr Well-Known Member

Look up the Columbia(r) Muddy Buddy... its another one I wouldn't mind doing, theres probably one near you guys. Its along the same lines but its completely relay and you ride a bike as well! The USMC always has one here locally every year and I saw a billboard with the same advertised name going into Charleston last year (Marine Mud Run) so that may be another. :tu:

6. Nyred

Nyred Well-Known Member

My bosses son competed in a tough mudder in December. The only thing he said he wasn't really prepared for was the altitude and water temperature. They did pretty good and were invited to another one.

7. JetGirl

JetGirl Well-Known Member

I'm going to be doing the 5k Spartan Race in July with a few co-workers. I want to really do well so I've started training now - mostly cardio stuff like running and rowing.

8. Nyred

Nyred Well-Known Member

I've heard the best way to prepare is to run 3 mile in hiking boots. Jump into a cold shower-fully dressed (boots & all), then run 5 more miles.

9. PeteBDawg

PeteBDawg Well-Known Member

Saw somebody was looking at this old thread so I wanted to add two things:

Learn a rope climbing technique like the J hook. It's super helpful and takes a lot of strain off your arms. Here's an article about it: UP THE MUDDY ROPE - A quick guide to climbing that rope.

Also, run stairs and hills. The most useful training session I did for mud races was a crew I would go with to run sprints up ski slopes in the summer. It was brutal, but the mud races I did basically had you climb multiple small mountains, so it was super helpful. Both having the strength and technique to handle the hills, and also just the psychological experience of how to sustain the effort for hours.

Basic swimming is a good idea, too. But the investment/reward for that isn't necessarily worth it in terms of training time, unless you're really trying to be competitive, or you know for sure your race has a long swim.

This was for 13-18 mile races. For the 5ks, you want to build up that basic level of endurance and physical confidence, and in particular don't go alone - bring some friends. Some of the obstacles are meant for teamwork. The racers help each other, but it's a great idea to do it with a group.

And have fun!