1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

training for golf! need some advice

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by citrixmeta, May 2, 2004.

1. citrixmeta

citrixmeta Well-Known Member

hey everyone,

im trying to put together a workout plan for my brother, he is a golfer.

anybody who golfs knows that once you hit the 9th/10th hole, some golfers tend to get tired, and this affects the score at the end.

he does not want to reshape his body, he just wants to build endurance so he can play the best he can.

any advice? (workout arms, chest, legs etc...)
    how much weight he should use? how many reps etc..

thanks everyone!

2. citrixmeta

3. BeefKakBuk

BeefKakBuk Well-Known Member

This kinda tiped me to thinking that he really didn't want to put forth much effort. I read it as 'he wants to play the best he can without getting in shape or doing any real work.' This is how I read it, and then I just clicked to the next message. I don't know if anyone else read it this way, or if I read it completly wrong.

Improvement in dynamic flexibility is what I would suggest to shoot for first. Start him off with some light cardio, and a 2 or 3 day a week full body routine. That should last him 6 or 8 weeks, then he can better understand weight lifting and the benefits and develop some real goals.

4. akm3

akm3 Well-Known Member

There are two types of fatigue that could affect a golfer:

1) Cardiovascular fatigue.
    To combat this I suggest he walk, alot. Golfing takes 2-3 hours or more, and it is mostly walking (even if you cop out and use the carts, you still have to walk alot). He should start walking 45minutes to an hour a day at a brisk pace. This will ensure he has plenty of aerobic capacity to not get tired during golf.

2) Muscular fatigue.
    This would be in his arms and back from hitting that damn ball 70-150 times. Stretching would be a very good idea, perhaps a yoga program would do him good (I love Yoga).

Since he doesn't want to go to a gym, general at home conditioning like crunches, pushups, squats (Even with no weight, but high reps) etc will help build endurance in his muscles.

-Allen

5. citrixmeta

im sorry thats not what i meant.

what i meant was, his goal was NOT to reshape his body and get thin etc..

he is willing to do whatever it takes to build endurance.

and he wants to go to the gym with me, but since we dont have the same goals, i dont know what plan to suggest for him

6. SirDizzy

SirDizzy Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what level of a golfer your brother is, but a golf swing shouldn't expend much energy. I've seen a lot of people with violent swings and the ball doesn't go any further than the people who's swings look effortless.

Other than taking a more relaxed and smoother swing, it will probably help just to be in better overall cardiovascular shape. As far as strength training, I might suggest strengthening core muscles such as the abs and back. With all of the twisting that is done in golf, these muscles might tire out. Your whole body is used in golf, though. So his workout shouldn't need to vary that much from yours.

7. Rockman

Rockman Well-Known Member

I don't know about your local TV programming but mine has the Golf Channel. During the evening they have a workout show for golfers. I've caught it a couple times and the excercises are basically your run of the mill exercises, much like most workouts. The only difference is the trainer states 15-20 reps for each excercise and to focus on core stablility/strength.

8. Einar

Einar Well-Known Member

That's true. You need a good movement to hit the ball far. A strong back would do wonders too :)

After three months of weighttraining I returned to the drivingrange last week. I fired a couple of golfballs that went further away than ever before :D

9. akm3

akm3 Well-Known Member

Yes, strength training can and does make a huge difference in golf.

-Allen

10. J2kDarkSkies

J2kDarkSkies Well-Known Member

I'd suggest 30-40% of his 1 rep max he should do 20 reps. 20 rep squats will help with his endurance, 20 rep deadlift will help keep his back in tip top shape and 20 rep Bench press...well, this might not help too much but whatever!