1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Training alone...

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Visteon, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Visteon

Visteon Well-Known Member

Well last night was the first night that I've trained alone (Free weights) because the person I used to train with has gone to another gym closer to his home. I always thought training alone would suck, but I have to say I really enjoyed it. I used to enjoy the competion of training with a partner, albeit wasn't voiced, but I never wanted to let him lift more than me, I'd always step it up if I had to which I thought was a good thing. Well last night I found a mental battle with myself was much more satisfying, taking the weight I felt a little uncomfortable with, without the comfort of someone spotting me I had to push the weight up, I had to make that last rep count otherwise i'd be stuck with a barbell on my chest!

At the point my spotter may have normal helped me up those last few inches I had to do that myself, I took myself out of my comfort zone. I'm still really pumped about it today, the only thing is I didnt have a partner to share it with!!!!

:bb:

2. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

I train alone most of the time however i do get a spotter when benching most of the time. There's really not much more you need a spotter with imo.

You do get motivated when someone is watching you so when i do train with someone my weight usually rises a little but my form sometimes suffers.

3. Sole

Sole Well-Known Member

I actually prefer to train alone. I find that I can maintain my focus better and have a more efficient workout due to less chatting.

4. txitalian

txitalian Well-Known Member

Agreed. I remember when I used to workout with a friend, we would be in the gym for at least an hour. Between chatting between sets and racking and unracking weights, it took forever and my intensity level wasn't nearly as good.

Jason

5. harry.michaels

harry.michaels Well-Known Member

I always train alone.

For me, the best thing about a training partner was that somebody was counting on me to be at the gym, so I could never miss a workout.

The downside is the amount of chatting that goes on a lot of the time, the extended rests between sets, etc.

6. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

I have never trained with a partner. It's unlikely that I will ever take on a lifting partner. I'm sure it has many advantages, however, I've never needed one. For some folks, this is a good tool and a way to keep themselves accountable. For me, it'd be an inconvenience.

-R

7. owachi13

owachi13 Well-Known Member

I too train alone. I have all the push and desire I need in my own mind, and with my schedule, it would be a real problem to try and schedule a partner, sometimes I lift at 5 in the evening, sometimes its as late as 11 in the evening. Like I said in another post, I have never had an issue with getting stuck or in a dangerous situation with the weights. I have trained in the past with a partner and learned a lot about my " point of failure", so I have always been able to gauge myself enough to know if my next rep is attainable or not. As long as you know your limits training alone is not a problem, and I actually prefer it. :tu:

8. tablett

tablett Well-Known Member

I have been training with a partner, but due to a circumstance in his life I had to go solo tonight for my first time, and probably will again for an undetermined amount of time. I got done a lot quicker, but I still felt like I done something. I done about the same weights I used to do, but rather than staying in good form when I got tired, and have my spotter barely lift the bar for me, I had to cheat a bit at the end to get the bar up. I can see the benefits to both however. While we chat a lot and sometimes excessively, he would always keep me motivated to do that last rep, whatever it may be.

9. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

I always train alone. I'm probably the only person who can put up with me.:D

10. sc7389

sc7389 Well-Known Member

I train alone as well. I think training with a partner will be distracting.

11. jchantelau

jchantelau Well-Known Member

I train alone! Is that like "I drink alone"?:confused:

Like what many have said...training alone keeps me focused on training and not chatting.:tucool:

just my 2 cents!:tu:

12. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

There are some advantages to training with a partner -- Sometimes a partner helps motivate you to push yourself harder ... and you also have the security of a spot when you need one. Mostly for spotting reasons, sometimes I think I'd like a workout partner. On the other hand, there is a certain restriction in freedom that goes along with that. If I want to switch up my days/workout schedule/exercises, I want the freedom to be able to do that whenever I want (without having to worry about messing up my training partner's schedule). That can be hard if your partner expects you to do legs every Tuesday and chest every Thurs etc.

Generally though ... I work out alone, and when I need a spot, I just ask somebody in the gym.

13. ErikTheRed

ErikTheRed Well-Known Member

I always work out alone and feel like a douchebage for asking people to spot me on dumbell military presses and bench presses..... That's only once a week though and I agree, the intensity is higher and the work out goes much quicker....

14. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I train alone
    Yeaaaahhh with nobody else
    You know when I train alone
    I prefer to be by myself...

Yea the other night I lay sleeping
    And I woke from a terrible dream
    So I called up my pal Flax Seed
    and his partner Nitrean.

I suck.

15. sherm

sherm Well-Known Member

16. vesuvio

vesuvio Well-Known Member

not only do I train alone, but I have a key to my gym so I use it after hours. Having an entire gym all to yourself is the greatest, unless I ever get stuck under a weight or something- that would kinda suck

17. Biggoggs

Biggoggs Well-Known Member

I used to train with a partner, but it felt more like babysitting. I'd have to pick him up, he (blindly?) followed my schedule because he did no research on his own, I'd have to cater for him, then drive him home about 20/30km.

However, I came unstuck a few weeks ago on the bench. I recently noticed my range of movement is pretty small, instead of lowering the bar to a few inches from my chest I went right down... and got stuck. My home bench is big, but the gym isn't, so I needed to wrestle an over-size barbell to the side without breaking anything, hitting the walls, and scratching the chrome.
    Needless to say, I'm looking for a spotter on chest day :)

It'd be nice to find a decent partner that cared as much as I do. You can push yourself by yourself and become emotionally/mentally stronger, or you can push yourself with a partner, and become more physically stronger. There's a certain advantage to knowing that if you cross the line, there's someone to push the weight falling towards you. :nod: