1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

TrainerRoad Recommendations

Discussion in 'Road Cycling, Mountain Biking & Cyclocross' started by karlsson1978, Sep 11, 2014.

1. karlsson1978

karlsson1978 Active Member

Hi All:

Been cycling for about two years and recently invested in a Wahoo Kickr. I just completed the intermediate base training I course and re-tested and my FTP did not improve.

Wondering if anyone has recommendations on a course or set of courses in order to really challenge myself. I was thinking of Intermediate Build I.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

I'm very surprised that Intermediate Base I didn't improve your FTP, as it's comprised mostly of sweet spot work designed specifically to improve sustainable power. I've done the Intermediate Base I program 3 or 4 times now, and it's always done wonders for my FTP.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I have to ask: are you 100% sure you went hard enough on your FTP re-test? Maybe just having an off day? What was your heart rate like in relation to your max? Did you feel like you had anything left in the tank?

Have you done Intermediate Base II?

If you're truly up against the FTP "wall", then the VO2 max work might be what you need. You'll find a decent amount of that in Intermediate Base II, and even more in the "Build" programs.

3. karlsson1978

Yeah -- I think it's possible I didn't go hard enough. I am still new enough to this kind of FTP test that I may have ridden "hard" but not quite hard enough. I also had ridden an intermediate build I course on Monday evening, so it's possible I wasn't totally fresh for a test. My heart rate was beating in the upper 150s, so I think it's fair to say there was something left in the tank. It's usually my legs that struggle more than my cardio fitness, if that makes sense (in other words, I'm feeling a hellish burn in my legs, but my breathing is generally ok).

Ultimately, I just want to make sure I'm not training below threshold. I'll get going on the Intermediate Build II phase, and perhaps re-test in 2-3 weeks.

4. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Sounds like your cadence may be too low. What's your average cadence during the two 8-minute (or single 20-minute, if you do the 20-minute test) working intervals?

It took some work, but once I started spinning comfortably at 100+ RPM my power output improved quite a bit. One of the benefits of high cadence riding is that it takes some of the load off your muscles and puts it on your cardio system. Mashing is outdated, high cadence is where it's at. :)

5. karlsson1978

Thanks John -- it was actually 100 rpm during the 8 minute segments, so I suppose I was working hard enough from that perspective.

I guess progress has just been slow for me. I'll keep working at it, hopefully will see some gains soon. I suppose this is still relatively new to me and I need to get more in tune with what threshold pain is for testing purposes.

6. karlsson1978

Just to put a bow on this, FTP is up 43 watts since October (tested twice since then).

7. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Nice, that's a very solid improvement! :nod: