1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Trainer / TrainerRoad Help

Discussion in 'Road Cycling, Mountain Biking & Cyclocross' started by MrIncredible, Sep 12, 2014.

1. MrIncredible

MrIncredible Active Member

I am getting interested in using a trainer this winter to keep up with my biking and exercising. I have read all John's posts on this topic. I like the idea of using using a TrainerRoad (~$10/mo) type exercise program to make things interesting. My question is what is all the equipment needed (and specific recommendations for equipment) to make it all work? My rough calculations are it is going to be expensive :-). So far:

Kurt Kinect Fluid Trainer ~$350
    + Floor Mat $50
    + Riser Ring $25
    + Laptop (have)
    + iPhone (do I need?)

I probably do not want to spend on a real power meter, so it seems I can use TrainerRoad's virtual power meter:
    + Wahoo Fitness Speed & Cadence Sensor for iPhone ~$40
    + Ant USB stick ~$40
    + Anything else?

Or I can use the KINETIC inRIDE WATT METER ($160)?
    - What other equipment is needed?
    - Will I be able to get this data into TrainerRoad, or only in the Kinetic app?

Any help or insights would be appreciated!

MrIncredible101

2. optiks

optiks Well-Known Member

The floor mat is optional (I personally use the trainer outdoors), so you really only *need* the trainer, laptop, ANT+ USB stick and a speed/cadence sensor on your bike, however the riser ring is definitely recommended.

3. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

I agree with optiks.

A floor mat will keep your carpet from getting ruined with sweat if you're working out indoors on carpet, but apart from that you don't need it.

I do recommend the riser ring, but if money is tight lots of people have had success using books to raise the front wheel.

There's no need to buy a power meter just for TrainerRoad. TR's VirtalPower is outstanding, and all you need to get the full benefit of the training programs and workouts.

4. abuseguy

abuseguy Active Member

Two other quick tips:

* Place an electric box fan in front of you and ride into the breeze. Because you're not moving and therefore not generating any wind while riding a trainer, you will sweat considerably. Having the fan cuts down on the sweat and (for me) makes the activity more comfortable.

* Get in the habit of wiping down your bike and trainer once you're done. Your sweat is caustic and can wreak havoc on painted surfaces, cables, metal, etc.

5. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Great tips. Along those lines, get a sweat thong. They help keep sweat from getting on the paint, and also from getting down into your drivetrain.

6. abuseguy

abuseguy Active Member

> sweat thong...

I'd forgotten what they called those things. Marketing genius at its best. In a pinch I've also cut a piece of pipe insulation to fit the top tube, covering the finish and any cables.

One thing that I've noticed as I've gotten older: I sweat battery acid. I must be dumping salts 'cause this stuff would corrode Kryptonite.