1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Tough Mudder

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by jbivens, Sep 21, 2011.

1. jbivens

jbivens Active Member

In order to get myself back on track I wanted to establish a new goal for myself. I want to make it something that is way outside my comfort zone; something that I would never think of doing. A friend of mine completed the Tough Mudder out in California and has moved to NJ close to me, and he asked if I wanted to do it. I have almost 100% mentally committed to competing in next October's Tough Mudder race in New Jersey. I say almost because I still have some reservations and am still doing research.

I was wondering who on these boards has either competed, completed or at least researched the Race. Any thoughts on training, preparation, etc...?

Let me state here that I am glad that it is a year away. While I am good for short bursts of energy since I have been lifting for a few years, my conditioning, endurance, cardio is garbage. I started this week with short stints of cardio after lifting and I am planning on using this goal as a reason to get up and run at 5 AM. Then lift at night. I have a long way to go to get in the shape to complete this challenge, so any advice is welcome.

Thanks. JB

2. bmacntmac

bmacntmac Well-Known Member

Find a Warrior Dash and do that first. From what I've heard the dash is like the tame version of the mudder. If you don't like the Warrior Dash no way you'll like the Tough Mudder. I did a Warrior Dash a few months back and loved it. (Wasn't in good enough shape for it, but loved it) Send a message to BJ in case he does not see this thread. I think he was considering doing a mudder.

3. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Check out "Jesse's Journal". He completed one, and posted some stuff about it this summer.

I have been thinking about doing one in Allentown PA in April 2012, as October / November is marathon season, and a marathon is all I can handle in that time period. The electricity scares me the most. :scared:

4. BJ

BJ Active Member

OH HELL YES!

I am doing the one in Columbus next year... :spaz: so excited!

I'd recommend you start running (if you aren't already) - the Couch 2 5k program is an excellent one to get you started.

Watch some of the videos on youtube. The thing with the tough mudder (or warrior dash) is it is as hard as you want it to be... take it slow and it's no big deal - try to push it and I'm sure it's a lot harder!

5. jbivens

jbivens Active Member

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the advice. I've been watching the videos and my friend said he had a blast doing it. I pre-registered yesterday and am going to start the couch to 5K program on Monday. I'm not much of a runner, not because I can't but because I have never really had much fun doing it.

I've been inspired recently by some friends both at home and here on my virtual fitness home. I really believe that most of the physical limitations we put on ourselves are mental and I want to do this. I want to do this because it is something that made me go, "No way I'm doing that" when I was asked about it. I'm my own personal watered down version of Jim Carrey in the movie Yes Man.

I can do about a mile on the treadmill. Maybe a mile and a half. But I have 13 months to get ready. There is a reservoir by my home that has a 5 mile trail run. So I'm going to work up to running 5 on the treadmill, then I'm hitting the trails. Should be nice and cold so I will get accustomed to the running and elements.

The only part of the Tough Mudder that scares me is the boa constrictor - a series of tubes half full with water you have to crawl through. I'm a little more than a little claustrophobic. But this is an opportunity to conquer fears and do something that I kept telling myself I can't do.

Thanks again everyone.

JB

6. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Get to it, bud. Go destroy this! :bow:

7. jbivens

jbivens Active Member

Thanks Man.

8. BJ

BJ Active Member

I was totally opposed to running for ever... until I came across the idea of running a tough mudder. I love the "you did what?" factor of it. The goal of being able to complete it is the only thing that started my running - as with anything in life - you can survive almost any how when you have a why!

The couch to 5k program is good... just make sure you follow the program. Don't go over what they say (even if you feel like you can).

You can do it! I am centering all of my training around doing one of these next year - so keep in touch! Let me know if you come up with any great ideas!

9. jbivens

jbivens Active Member

Thanks BJ. I started a journal to track my training for this. Feel free to hijack it and update how you are training regularly, similar to what you and Cason are doing in your journal.

I am going to dedicate the next 9 weeks to Couch 2 5K, then I am going to shift my focus to gaining strength. It looks like the Tough Mudder requires a ton of pulling strength. My lats are some of my weakest muscles so I am going to focus on lots of pullups, rows, heavy pulldowns and heavy bicep workouts. I am also considering finding a park in the area with monkey bars to spend a half hour or so on training days working on that. Gonna do some trail running.

Anything specific you have added with any of the specific obstacles in mind?

Thanks for the support.

JB

10. BJ

BJ Active Member

Not yet... have just been doing the running - and a lot of body weight work.

I would recommend that you look for a warrior dash or spartan sprint or some other shorter obstacle course in the spring time to give you a better idea for what you will be facing