1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Tough fat or just loose skin?? HELP!

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by hitchern, Jul 31, 2014.

1. hitchern

hitchern Member

Help!
    22 year old male here. Have been working out for a while now, but I feel I've reached a point where I can't get any further. I work out with an attractive physical appearance as my motivation, so my weight doesn't really matter to me for now. So basically I eat a strict diet with enough calories to stay at the same strength level with my weight-training, while also incorporating interval-training. Started working out about 5 years ago, but my physical appearance has basically stayed the same the last year with some ups and downs.

This is me in July 2010 to the right:
    [​IMG]

June 2012 in the middle:
    [​IMG]

Now August 2014:
    [​IMG]

Even though I'm much happier with my body, it's still frustrating to not be able to get rid of the last layer on my waist and chest when I've worked so hard. Like I said I've been like this more or less the last year, which makes me wonder if it isn't fat that remains, but loose skin. I can tug and stretch it pretty easily, and when I'm in the push-up position my skin hangs from my chest and stomach (see pics below). My arms are pretty defined, and my abs are definitely showing underneath (well at least when I flex a little), but the somewhat saggy boobs and lower stomach are not ideal, especially not from the side. My BMI is about 22 with my weight at 158,7 pounds and my height at around 5.11 (converted from 72 kg and 182 cm). (This might not be completely accurate, but it's not far off.)

If it's just a tough layer of fat I know I just need to keep at it because it's something I can fix myself (even though I've been trying my hardest up until this point), but if it's loose skin I'll probably have to resort to plastic surgery which is quite costly, unless someone has any goos tips for that as well?

Here are some closer pictures of the problem area (I'm not holding my breath or flexing or anything besides pic #3 and #4 and the one where I'm planking, also sorry for the pubic hair):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So what say the people? Do I just need to be stricter with myself to burn the last layer of fat, or is it in fact impossible because it's not fat at all but loose skin? Thanks in advance for any feedback!

2. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Looks like loose skin to me. You are young. Give it time to shrink.

Great transformation. How much did you loose?

3. hitchern

hitchern Member

Thank you very much! Lost about 61.7 pounds. How much time can it take for the skin to go back if I keep off the fat? I've basically been at this weight for about a year now, and my skin has only recently begun to shrink (if it even has at all, maybe I'm just becoming more defined underneath the skin). Was thinking of getting a tattoo in the very near future, but thought I should wait in case I find out my skin won't shrink back, gonna go for a consultation and see.

4. raydog

raydog Well-Known Member

As someone who's struggled with weight his whole life, I understand how you feel. At my heaviest, I weighed over 300 lbs (stopped weighing myself after that) while in college. I eventually got down to 160 lbs after some time experimenting with diets, weight lifting, Insanity, P90X, etc. For a long time, my goal was to get that beach body that's advertised in every fitness magazine, TV commercial, etc. When a heavy person loses a considerable amount of weight, it's inevitable that they will have some loose skin.

I've been dieting and exercising for over 10 years and still have some loose skin. I'm not saying this will happen to you, genetics play a big role in body fat composition and general physique, but it's a possibility. If you've gotten to a point where fat loss has stalled, try a clean bulk for a while, then cut again. You'll be amazed at how different you'll look with 10-15 oppounds of added lean mass. As macdiver stated, you're young. Skin is very elastic is will eventually shrink, just give it time. Be proud of what you've accomplished, losing weight, gaining muscle, and eating healthy is a life long journey. Stretch marks eventually become badges of honor and at some point you'll barely even notice any loose skin.

Good luck and keep training hard.
    -R