1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Too much protein?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Race, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Race

Race Active Member

Hey guys, for the past couple months I've been bulking and taking around 150g-180g/day in whey protein isolate and eat somewhere around 75g from food. I've gained about 12 pounds and have had solid results but have been told recently that I'm wasting product by taking this much. What do you think? (I weigh 150lbs and would like to bulk up to 165 or so before cutting)

Thanks

2. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Thats probably not an excessive amount of protein to be consuming, BUT, you should be getting most of your protein from food (rather than WPI), especially given that you are bulking.

3. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Depends on your budget and what you enjoy eating.

I'd say it's possible you could get just as good or better results with more carbs and less protein, but it's impossible to know unless you try it. :tu:

4. NCNBilly

NCNBilly Well-Known Member

I'd agree that 180g of WPI a day is wasted amount at your current weight.

5. PAF

PAF Well-Known Member

So does that mean you're getting between 225-255 g protein a day? No one else think that's a lot? All the studies and articles I've read usually suggest a maximum of 2.0g/kg of protein a day. And that's upperupper. So I know a lot of people here take in a lot of protein, but is that because they've tested the right amount for themselves, or just jumped straight into high amounts of protein because 'protein builds muscles, thus eat more protein --> bigger muscles!'?

You could try just eating more and cutting out they whey, or cut half the whey....

6. kmfisher

kmfisher Well-Known Member

It's not that you are wasting protein. Sure you don't need that much, but your body will use it. In reality, you are probably wasting money since protein is generally more expensive than carbs and fat. So, save yourself some cash and dial down the protein intake some.

Edit: Generally, figure 1 gram of protein per 1 lb of bodyweight. Maybe 1.1 or 1.2 if you'd like.

7. Foley

Foley Well-Known Member

How long have you been bulking? What were you doing before that. I would at least half the amount of whey and replace it with real food protein; chicken, eggs, egg whites, turkey, lean steak etc.

8. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

The amount of protein has been discussed 2783 times at least in the nutrition forum here. Check it out before you make a decision.:cool:

9. andysutils

andysutils Active Member

:confused: less whey powders, more real food, i have only 1 serving of whey protein a day which i get about 45g of protein from and the rest real food, i wouldnt say its excessive, im eating 200-220g of protein a day and i weight only a 158lbs and thats without even trying to get protein in.

10. Race

Race Active Member

The problem with getting more protein from food is that im on a meal plan at school and the food is usually very low in protein. And eating out is an option but it gets expensive

11. Foley

Foley Well-Known Member

Same for me, that's why I work evenings after school and buy some food and make it and take it to school instead of their crap.

12. andysutils

andysutils Active Member

that will always be the downfall bro unfortunately when it comes to protein, you dont get a lot of it for the volume.