1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Too much protein in ketosis diet?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by Whoracle, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Whoracle

Whoracle Well-Known Member

I'm trying to do the whole ketosis diet thing, and from what I was told it was a high fat moderate protein low carb diet. That too much protein is actually bad for the diet because it will knock you out of ketosis. Problem is as I've been trying it, I get a little over 200g of protein a day. Am I doing it wrong? Thoughts from any nutrition experts around here appreciated

2. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

if all you're asking is if you are in ketosis.....get those ketostix you pee on and find out.

i see em at target, rite aid, walmart etc for a few bucks.

3. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I don't believe protein knocks you off ketosis (though I'm no doc). As I understand it, the reason for the ketosis state is that only two substances can pass through the membrane around the brain and supply nutrition: glucose and ketones. When carbs are lo1 (10-50g per day depending on the person/source of info), the body does not and cannot create glucose, so it breaks the body fat down into ketones to feed the brain.

The body will, however, switch out of the ketosis state if enough glucose becomes present for a long enough time.

Because proteins and fat cannot be be made into glucose, ketosis-based diets are mostly protein and fat. Fat is advocated as important because they are more calorie dense and more filling. People trying to go low fat ketosis dieting (chicken and veggies all the time) aren't getting enough calories.

I don't think there is an upper limit on the amount of protein you CAN have, but even if you stuff yourself with grilled chicken all day, you might not be getting enough calories, and the fats really help with energy levels--which are often lower due to low carbs.

I think the confusion might be that some reports have shown some protein meals can cause significant insulin response, on levels of eating carbs. But the point of ketosis diets is not to avoid insulin spikes, thought such diets are usually less insulin producing because of the reduced carbs and higher fats. I don't believe insulin spikes and ketone production are inversely related.

Some people believe high protein diets are bad for the kidneys, but I think that has been disproven.

Jaer
    has done ketosis diets, and both he and his wife were in ketosis while having lots of protein.

4. Whoracle

Thanks for the info. I'm working on getting more fat into the diet it's just that after I eat eggs, steak and chicken, I'm sitting at about 210g of protein and some initial reading suggested that excess protein will get converted into glucose and fuck everything up.

5. petvan

petvan Well-Known Member

Any thought to just go Paleo?

6. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

Yes, the classic ketogenic diet is 4 grams of fat to 1 gram of protein and/or carbohydrate (though there are variations with lower ratios). You may want to dig into some research on ketogenic diets to make sure you set yours up correctly. Lyle McDonald has a book on the subject: "The Ketogenic Diet" (though he's altered his opinion on the value of ketosis for body recomposition). See Also: Ketogenic Diets: High-Fat or High-Protein.

You may also find that you don't need a strict 4:1 ratio to get the results you want. That's where the ketostix can help. Or you could just experiment and track your personal results.

Other keto-style diets you may want to check out: Cyclical Keto Diet, Targeted Keto Diet, Anabolic Diet.

Protein can, and is. See: Gluconeogenesis.

7. Whoracle

Thanks for the info