1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Too much fish oil can cause stroke?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by banderbe, Aug 18, 2007.

1. banderbe

banderbe Active Member

To much fish oil can cause stroke?

I was reading the Fish Oil entry on Wikipedia, and came across this rather surprising statement:

Has anyone ever heard this before? I know some folks here take more than three grams per day, and a recent post I saw quoted Charles Poliquin as recommending 30 to 45 grams per day!

#1 banderbe, Aug 18, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2007
  2. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

Yes it has been documented that large doses of omega-3 can prolong bleeding (note they said "may"):
    http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/94/9/2337
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fish-oil/NS_patient-fishoil

There are many studies which tout the preventative effects and there are several that indicate that too much is not good for you as well.

Mega-dosing fish oil might be of value as a curative method but I really question if mega-dosing fish oil all the time would be a good idea.

Poliquin can say whatever he wants, it's up to you to verify what he says. He's not a doctor nor does he hold any medical degree.

His expertise is kinesiolgy not nutrition.
    possesses a B.Sc. in Kinesiology and a M.Sc. in Exercise Physiology.

In my opinion 35-45 g of quality fish oil is expensive and is a great method to sell lot of flame out for T-nation ;) . It's completely your choice to make though :)

3. Chew

Chew Well-Known Member

Of the Fish Body Oils I take, only 30% of its mass is Omega-3's, 180mg/120mg DHA/EPA in a 1000mg pill. I take 4 a day, so I should be taking in about 1.2 grams of Omega-3's daily.
    This should be similar to other Fish body oils too, so, if you're taking 10 or more a day, you could be concerned, I wouldnt be..