1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Todays "Obvious" Training Reminder:

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by SwoleCat, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Banditfist

Banditfist Well-Known Member

Thank you for stating this explictly. It drives me crazy when people get deads and striff-legged deads confused. They target two different muscles.

2. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

I generally feel stiff legged deads in my lower back, maybe i'm thinking of something else but this is the exercise I use when I perform SLD's - I do romanian deads on my leg day and that really hits my hams more than anything else.

3. funsocaltiger

funsocaltiger Well-Known Member

It sounds like your form is somewhat off. The key for me was trying to picture pushing through the heels of your feet. You should be using your back as minimally as possible.

This website explains it slightly better (scroll to the bottom section):
    http://www.stumptuous.com/baddl.html

4. SwoleCat

SwoleCat Well-Known Member

I'm afraid the huge gaping hole in that reasoning, is that you are assuming "HST" is set in stone scripture.

"Full body workout school of thought"........who is thinking like that? Not me. Full body workouts are no where NEAR in intensity what I am suggesting, they aren't even in the same galaxy. Those would have one wearing leg warmers sipping cappucino. I'm talking WORKING OUT, not Bally Total Fitness look pretty hour. :)

I suggest you research the CNS (Central Nervous System) and it's relation to weight training/stress.

Lastly, the amount of work I PERSONALLY would suggest a person do for each of these lifts, would have me placing these core movements on different days. If one could do ALL of these movements I am emphasizing in a single workout, that person would be lifting with the intensity or Richard Simmons. Utilizing the appropriate intensity NEEDED for growth of these parts, would dictate they be performed on totally seperate days.

Again, to each his own for sure, but the above is very relevant, hence the reason to understand the CNS and over-training.

You are free to open your own thread as well if you disagree with my offering. There are tons of training styles, no reason to sh*t on something that is my offering, let alone the fact that it works. If it differs from "HST" or "HIV" or the FBI, who cares? There are tons of styles for lifting, it's all about what you are after. What I am after with this advice and for those using it, CANNOT be accomplished in one day. It's not possible.

~SC~

#24 SwoleCat, Nov 2, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2004
  5. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

Bodybuilding.com describes the "stiff-legged deadlift" as: Bend at your waist with your head up, back straight and knees nearly locked. Hold bar with hands about 16 inches apart. Straighten up while holding the bar at arm's length. Lower back down to the floor but do not let plates touch.

So, according to their description and graphics, I don't see how my form is somewhat off, with knees slightly bent while keeping your back straight, that obviously puts your lower back into a work position, even on your own link, the SLD graphic will no doubt work your lower back, and it even makes mention in the first sentence "Sometimes incorrectly called the straight-legged deadlift, the SLDL is a great exercise for the spinal erectors (lower back), glutes (butt) and hamstrings (back of thighs)"

Could simply be two schools of thought, because the graphic on your link looks awfully like a romanian deadlift with the straight back and angle in the knee bend.

6. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

SC, with your permission I'd like to keep your above post to show others. :)

What a PT once told me: "you can work out hard, or you can work out long. You can't do both."

7. SwoleCat

Go for it, no problems here, use it as you see fit.

No pun intended with the "fit"......

:lol:

~SC~

8. joecan

joecan Well-Known Member

SwoleCat,

I did deads, the regular variety, for the first time last night. I did feel more of it in my back than my hams. Thanks to you and others, I finally know the difference between the two different dead lifts. Do you by any chance know how to do stiff-legged deads on a weight machine? I have adjustable weights on the machine, but it is still operated by cables.

I am not trying to get as big as you or 1FastGTX, but I will add muscle and definition before I am finished. The article about you was great. It is because of people like you, John, and others on this site, that people like me can develope the body we want and stay motivated.

Thanks.

9. StudlyShafe

StudlyShafe Well-Known Member

Swole's got darn sound advice IMO. For me personally, following a different program that suggests pairing the large muscle group exercises with smaller muscle groups has worked wonders for strength and size. While it hasn't resulted in MASSIVE arms or anything, it has kept me from having lagging body parts as the smaller groups continue to grow with the large. The only thing that I consider a disadvantage is that the large muscle groups really take it outta me before I hit the smaller ones, resulting in significantly less intensity. However, for me, the benefits of the GH, or however it works, seem to outweigh the intensity of a one part per day approach.

-Shafe

10. SwoleCat

Very cool. Find the optimal balance for you of the heavy core work followed by the "smaller" parts. Both should be equal in intensity for each given part. Just as it's key to not focus on arms more-so than bigger bodyparts in order to get bigger everywhere, it's equally as key to make sure the intensity used on those "smaller" bodyparts is EQUAL to that of the big core movements.

Once you do that, you will begin to notice your arms getting significantly larger. Diet of course needs to support these gains that are possible by meeting your nutritional needs, but if that is in order then the above protocol works very well for the majority who utilize these principles.

I'd also like to clarify my stance and position/reason for being here if I may for just a second:

I'm not presenting this here as an "end all" to everyone else's personal choice of a routine. If people find other ways of working out better for them, that is wonderful, kudos to you for finding your niche. My offering here addresses those who do ask me, "How do I get my arms bigger? Why does my stubborn chest NOT grow??" Etc......

I'm presenting it here as common knowledge in the bodybuilding world, which is key because much of what is learned in popular "fitness" media, is trickled down in some way/shape/form from the underground, more hard-core bodybuilding community. Example: the new "low carb" phase that inundates EVERY single periodical and fast food restaurant these days, bodybuilders and people such as myself knew about well over 6-8 years ago. Mainstream ideas exist far before they are mainstream, and sometimes what sounds absolutely assinine on paper, makes absolute total sense once those ideas are carried out in the gym.

So, it's only an offering of possible help to those who wish to give it whirl. The only thing you have to lose are the clothes you grow out of.

~SC~

11. The Dynasty

The Dynasty Well-Known Member

Hey SwoleCat,

Can you help me out with the question I posed below (earlier in this thread)?

12. funsocaltiger

funsocaltiger Well-Known Member

No, but I believe it is incorrect to imply that distributing the same volume of exercise throughout the week results in catabolism is totally incorrect.

Are you choosing to completely ignore the fact that you can just as well train to failure using compound lifts in a single fullbody workout session?

I'm not talking about doing an hour of cardio on an elliptical and you know that.

I know perfectly well about the negative effects of CNS fatigue. Unless you are trying to imply that it is a good thing.

I agree, if the routine you suggest involves a high volume of exercises, then no you cannot do them all on the same day at a high intensity.

But you totally missed my point that it would still be possible to distribute the *same volume of exercises* with the same intensity *throughout the week*.

That is to say, for instance, that doing 3 sets of benching to failure every Monday isnt necessarily better than doing 1 set of benching to failure Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

I think we have a simple misunderstanding that when I say "intensity" I mean per set/rep. Whereas when you say high intensity you mean a combination of volume and intensity per bodypart.

Agreed. I just wanted to point out that there are other options and other methodologies.

#32 funsocaltiger, Nov 4, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2004
  13. SwoleCat

I'd respond again in depth, but I seriously don't have the time/energy to break it down any more direct than I already have.

My thread has helped quite a few people out from the feedback I've received, that was it's intention, so I am pleased. Whatever way you read it is whatever way you read it. I don't care "what you can do in one session" compared to what I offered, again, what I offered is MY OFFERING. ;)

You are more than welcome to begin your own helpful thread with your own "split" of bodyparts that you see fit. I know my credentials and from where I speak, hence my offering here, thanks. No one is "ignoring" other ways to train, however the problem here is that this is MY SUGGESTION on one way to train for results, I'm not here to compare what you think is optimal.

Looking forward to your thread.

:tu:

~SC~

#33 SwoleCat, Nov 6, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2004
  14. PeteBDawg

PeteBDawg Well-Known Member

Hey SwoleCat,

Any more obvious training reminders?

15. SwoleCat

Yes, I am working on quite a few, and will post what I feel are helpful articles when they are done.

Thanks for the interest!
    :D

~SC~

16. gravityhomer

gravityhomer Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

SC, thanks for your time and enthusiasm in posting your advice. It's awesome, I get pumped just reading it. :tu:

17. J2kDarkSkies

J2kDarkSkies Well-Known Member

18. SwoleCat

Thanks guys! :tu:

~SC~

19. inurb

inurb Well-Known Member

SC just wanted to let you know that after being on sgx for 4 months I managed to do 4 sets of 10 deadlifts @ 225lbs. I was never able to do this before and I sure as hell didn't think I could up my deadlift weight while on a cutting cycle.

Thank You.