1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

To lift, or not to lift, that is the question:

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Spartan88, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Spartan88

Spartan88 Active Member

If you are due to lift but you still have DOMS in the target muscle groups, what should/do you do?

2. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

No sense in killing yourself on a new program....if your body is telling you that you need a day off...you probably need a day off...:nod:

I did this yesterday. I was planning to do some plyometrics for knee rehab....but my hamstrings were screaming from doing the timed deadlift challenge the day before....I did not do plyometrics yesterday.

Or....if you can't stand it....maybe a deload? - Higher reps at a much reduced weight...and way less sets.
    I have done this in the past. Think of it as getting the much needed...blood moving around and dynamic stretching of things out a little...

3. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

In general, I would still lift unless the DOMS is very severe, but that generally occurs only at the beginning of a program or a long lay-off. Even then, as digitalnebula notes, some light exercise can be beneficial.

4. TooMuch

TooMuch Well-Known Member

I lift anyway, but im crazy :)

5. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

DOMS once in awhile isn't anything to worry about....depending on how bad the DOMS is.

I've been lifting for a long while lately...and as time went by I switched up the weights and reps........to the point, where , last couple of weeks I get DOMS horrendous.

It is so bad I can't function coherently......yes I should know better :o

My only choice is to deload and back off a bit.

I am clearly over training........

My DOMS doesn't show up until about 3 days after I lift....

DOMS is not an indicator of progress........It is just Nature's way of telling us we're beating the crap out of ourselves......