1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

To cardio or NOT

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by unixpro, Mar 4, 2012.

1. unixpro

unixpro Active Member

Hey guys, long time member here, I need some advise..

I recently decided to get back in shape these are my stats right now:

around 240 body weight.
    5,9' hight
    % body fat, prob a lot!!

its been 3 weeks since i started going to the gym, the first week i did cardio and moderate resistance training, for the past two weeks i've cut down my eating to around 25g per day, im eating fish chicken and egg whites throughout the day, nothing with carbs, and my workout routines have increased to almost 3 hrs per day.

my question is, will cardio helo me in any way to cut weight or should i keep doing high resistance and eating low in carbs.

my goals is to have a small waist with nice upper body.

cheers!

2. user786

user786 Active Member

your carb levels are very low . i would add in more carbs especially on workout days

3hrs :eek: .45 mins to 1hr 3 to 4 times a week is more than enough

To be Honest at this stage you need to revamp your Diet /and your weight traing workout routines before you start worrying about doing cardio or not

You would be best served by eating a well balanced diet which contains some good healthy fats / plenty of protein and plenty of carbs .

weight train 3 x week using a good compound based program like starting strength .

if you go to the sticky in the beginners forum it has some excellent
    guides which you need to study.

3. Buttersweet

Buttersweet Active Member

i've missed cardio and made progress. that was never the case with missed lifting workouts.
    what does 'moderate' resistance mean?

4. unixpro

unixpro Active Member

Thanks for your reply, means 2 body parts per day, heavy as much as i can lift to properlyu do the excersice to up 10 reps, 3 sets, 4-5 different sets per muscle.

5. Buttersweet

you can measure your body fat % here:
    http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

as for exercise, if you do a split then you should do:
    3-4 compound exercises, and 1-2 isolated, only my leg and core workout lasts longer than 50 min.

when it comes to cardio i think 3 times a week is enough, steady state cardio 30 min minimum or high intensity interval 10-20 min. you can, of course, do more than that if you enjoy it a lot and if you have time, just make sure you do it AFTER a lifting workout.
    i've had best results with HIIT but sometimes i have a mental barrier and go for 45 min at steady state.
    i'm now experimenting with fasted cardio, because i'm just too tired or don't have time for it after lifting workouts.

don't forget that diet and sleep/rest are AS IMPORTANT as exercise. i don't think you should avoid carbs. what about veggies and fiber?

post an example of your workout and an example of your daily menu, that will allow people to help you refine the plan.
    and good luck:tu:

6. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

You likely want to cut way way back on the work load. Build the intensity up slowly. Don't jump 100% overboard to start.

But you really need to get the diet straight first. Do you have any idea how many calories you're eating?

7. unixpro

unixpro Active Member

Here's what i did last week, im also repeating this eating schedule this week.

Wake up at 8AM.

9AM Coffee with 1 cream + Stevia at 9AM at work.
    11AM Protein Shake at 11. (Nitro Pro Isolate)
    1-1:30PM Chicken or fish broiled at 1-130 PM for lunch with 1CUP boiled Vegetables.
    3PM Coffee with 1 cream + Stevia
    4:30PM Banana or apple or almonds
    7:30PM Preworkout (Amino Fuel + Iso Pure 0 Carb Weigh Protein)
    10-1030PM Post Workout, 8oz Fish, or Half chicken or Turkey Burger patty with boiled vegetables.
    12AM -Cup of skim milk, with Glutamine dose. and bed 30 Mins later.

In between I'm drinking around 8 cups of water per day.

According to my fitness pal, I'm taking around 1500 calories per day

Cheers!

8. douglasstclair

douglasstclair Active Member

You're not taking in any significant protein until 11am, and no "real" food until the afternoon. In my opinion, you need a lot more
    food - as in lean proteins (egg beaters, chicken, fish, certain steaks, shrimp) and vegetables / brown rice.

I think a good protein / complex carb breakfast would get you further than the mid-morning protein shake.

What time are you working out? I'd save the fruit (or fruit juice) to just prior to working out, or during the workout. Then follow the workout with the whey protein.

9. Buttersweet

i agree with douglasstclair that you should have breakfast earlier than 11. solid food.

what does 8 cups of water mean? i drink about 2,5-3 liters per day.

1500 calories also seems too little:confused: i'm 5,8' (i think, it's 174 cm) and around 68 kg, and a girl and i eat around 1700-1800 (or should eat. when it's lower, there's no progress)

but, just keep on working, and all the details will fall into place with time:tu:

10. unixpro

unixpro Active Member

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah I've added into my eating schedule 4 Egg whites around 830AM.

Also, i will make it a goal to do 30 min Cardin twice a week.

thanks guys!

11. CharlesDance

CharlesDance Member

I dropped like 10 lbs with no muscle loss, doing almost zero cardio. The only cardio I did was just like residual from if I just happened to go for a walk with my wife, or if we hiked one day, it was really never "planned" as cardio sessions.

You have to be doing serious intensity in the gym though, and make sure you're including the big compound lifts like squats and deadlifts in your workouts.

Diet is the biggest factor regardless of what training you're doing. If you aren't going to do any cardio, you really need to train hard and heavy, and make sure your diet is spot on.

It can definitely be done without cardio. It may take a little longer, but the end results I think will be better.

Hell, ask Mastover, he's a huge proponent of zero-cardio, and he's won plenty of competitions.

12. CharlesDance

CharlesDance Member

Just make sure you don't get caught up in weighing yourself every day. I tried doing that the first few weeks I was dieting, and it will just frustrate you because there is no set "day" in which your body just drops a pound. Often times I would go 5 days, not see a change in measurement or weight, then suddenly on the 6th/7th day, or sometimes the morning after a grueling leg workout, I was down a lb and down on my waist measurement.

I would definitely take measurements with a tape, and reserve the scale for once a week, in the AM , if you're even going to scale it at all.

13. Skoorb

Skoorb Well-Known Member

Agree with this. I'm back in business right now with a set number of days I want to diet for and I am not going to weigh myself until at least the half way mark, possibly even wait until the last day. It's just absolutely demoralizing to go even two days without seeing a change in scale when, in reality, you know objectively that some actual fat was lost. Fluids mess things up, though.

Cardio has health benefits, but as far as assisting in weight loss it's not always so clear. It will absolutely burn fat, but it also increases appetite. I'm doing about 30 min of pretty solid cycling/day now, but a portion of that is to just afford me the ability to eat another 300 calories/day and hopefully achieve similar goals.

It's definitely possible (I've done it) to be doing a lot of cardio while gaining fat. Diet is first, second, third most important things in getting lean.