1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

To be sore or not to be sore.....

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by WaltMan, Feb 4, 2004.

1. WaltMan

WaltMan Well-Known Member

I have heard many people tell me that if you are sore the day after working out, you were doing something wrong. Is this correct? Is soreness normal? ANY time I have worked out, I get sore the next day. Granted, I am out of shape and do not work out often (hence why I am on here asking questions :rolleyes: ) is a moderate amount of soreness normal? Also, should you wait to work out again until the soreness is gone?

2. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

soreness is on an individual basis.

i get sore all the time. some days more than others.

i only work each muscle once a week.. so even if i am a bit sore, i will still work the next muscle group.. i try and split my routine in such a way that say i do chest.. before i do shoulders i have a leg day inbetween for that added rest.

but if you are so sore to the point where you can feel that your workout would be greatly hindered (happend to me) i would wait before working that muscle..

an example for me..

i had a crazy back/bicep/forearm workout.. i absolutly ripped my back to shreds, it was sore for a good 2-3 days really bad.. so i switched my workouts around and did my chest routine after the 4th day when the soreness was there, but didnt really affect my workout

3. HunkOLove

HunkOLove Well-Known Member

Soreness

Soreness is going to happen especially in the beginning as you get going. Eventually your body will begin to recover faster between workouts. You will probably never be free of soreness entirely but it's duration and intensity may subside for you over time.

Bear in mind that soreness is not necessarily an indication of a good workout. In the begining it is most important for you to develop proper exercise form and to avoid injury while your body gets used to the new demands you are placing on it. You should work out with lighter weights and concentrate on learning the exercises properly. After you have proper form you can increase weight and work on gaining strength.
    If you feel real pain while doing something you should stop. Don't tear a muscle or ligament just to finish a set.

Scheetive posted a great beginner workout in this section and I highly recommend you read it. Should be a sticky post. He has links to photos and instrcutions for the exercises. If you really need help you can join a gym for a month and work with a trainer to learn your form before returning to workout at home.

Remember when working out at home to be mindful that you may not have a spotter there so you should think before you lift and do not perform and exercise that is too big for your development or one that unreasonably may cause you an injury.

The longer you lift the more you will come to understand your limits. That is why it is important to start properly, get good form and progress at a reasonable pace. I can tell you are motivated which is great but remember that Rome wasn't built in a day. No use causing yourself an injury that prevents you from following your program.

:tu: