1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

To anyone who takes ANY kind of supplement.

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by AndiMAC, Mar 1, 2010.

1. AndiMAC

AndiMAC Well-Known Member

"Senator John McCain has introduced a bill that if passed, will drive up the cost of dietary supplements and restrict your access to them. The bill being spearheaded by Senators John McCain and Byron Dorgan supposedly originates from the controversy surrounding the use of steroids by Major League Baseball players. Since some unethical companies illegally sold steroid drugs as “dietary supplements,” certain members of Senate appear to have been deceived into believing that the FDA needs to be given additional power to ban dietary supplements across the board."

This is the opening paragraph from a form letter that is available to ALL of us to send to our congress-people to let them know we do not support John McCain's bill to make supplements (even fish oil) prescription only or uber expensive.... Please take the time to read this article and click on the link to send the letter. Its a very important issue. Especially those of us who are health conscious and trying NOT to be on Rx meds. Thanks for taking the time.....

http://www.lef.org/featured-articles/Dietary-Supplement-Safety-Act-of-2010.htm

2. KoNcEpT61

KoNcEpT61 Active Member

if anything, the FDA should regulate a lot of the products that have 'proprietary blends' and ban products that say they contain x ingredient it should contain that ingredient, and not a whole load of garbage

3. AndiMAC

AndiMAC Well-Known Member

That's not the issue at hand. The issue at hand is that they want ALL supplements taken off the shelves (even things like fish oil) and make it so a prescription is needed and also jack up the price so even the simplest things are unaffordable. I pride myself I keep myself healthy enough so I don't need prescription medication. Supplements are helping me do that. It even involves products people here use on a daily basis.

4. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

Pretty much everyone here should be clicking that link and using it.

The list of supplements ins't just targeting fat burners and pro-hormones. God knows this forum is pro-natural. But this bill, it targets supplements we all use everyday. The most important already being mentioned is things like fish oil. It takes 3 minutes tops. Do it.

5. BJ

BJ Active Member

6. tensdanny

tensdanny Well-Known Member

I personally strongly feel the industry needs to be more regulated and more transparent. I want to know exactly what I'm putting into my body, not "proprietary mix" or "natural flavors"

7. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

This isn't regulating... This is banning.

8. cajunman

cajunman Well-Known Member

Copy of the bill DSSA 2010

Can someone point me to where anyone is talking about banning fish oil, requiring prescriptions, or any of this horseshit? PS, any organization calling themselves Life Extension is pretty much guaranteed to be woowoo new age crap.

Yeah, I think the bill is stupid, but hysterics about banning fish oil is ridiculous. Take off the tinfoil hats and come out of the fallout shelter. Learn how to delete spam email crap, not post it.

9. KoNcEpT61

KoNcEpT61 Active Member

I can't help you guys, I'm Canadian :)/:(

However I do support you guys lol

edit:

doesnt this:

and shall be accompanied by a
    full list of the ingredients contained in
    each dietary supplement, and a copy of the
    labeling used by the facility for each dietary supplement.

mean that there would be no more proprietary blends?

#9 KoNcEpT61, Mar 4, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  10. tensdanny

tensdanny Well-Known Member

Admittedly I didn't read any of this, but I can't foresee anything commonly accepted and recommended by an MD (fish oil, healthy eating, glucosamine) getting banned, so with that I nod in agreement with you :nod:

11. John Stone

John Stone John Stone
    Staff Member Owner

I've had to remove several posts from this thread. Please stick specifically to the topic at hand, and refrain from making general political commentary. Thanks.

12. BJ

BJ Active Member

Sorry John!