1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Tips for weight tr. music!

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by zeurath, Feb 12, 2004.

1. zeurath

zeurath Well-Known Member

I know this thread has been discussed before but I thought I would give my tips on the subject and maybe inspire someone (cuz that's what this forum is all about, aye? :)

This is my current playlist for weightlifting:

In Flames - Drifter
    In Flames - Dialogue With The Stars
    In Flames - Reroute To Remain
    Meshuggah - Future Breed Machine
    Meshuggah - Neurotica
    Meshuggah - Soulburn
    Metallica - Sad But True
    Metallica - Creeping Death
    Metallica - Ride The Lightning
    Metallica - Trapped Under Ice

All aggressive music... especially Meshuggah... angry guys :mad:
    It really helps you lift tho!
    For cardio I go with:

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik (album)
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - By The Way (album)
    50 Cent - In Da Club (Awesome cardio song)
    Anything by Dire Straits / Mark Knopfler.

Quite the opposite from the weight training music, I like soft music while I'm doing my cardio. Makes you concentrate more on the music, making the work-out easier to do (but don't stop pushing yourself to the limit!)

So, tell me, what should I extend my playlist with? :flex:

2. NotUniqueEnough

NotUniqueEnough Well-Known Member

you gotta get some Soundgarden in there... anything from Badmotorfinger or Superunknown. Possibly Audioslave or Rage, and I just started rotating in some Rollins Band.

Henry can tell you a lot about "The Iron."

3. marcus

marcus Well-Known Member

For weights: Definetely AC/DC - good old aka daka.
    The Who

For Cardio: You cant go wrong with Trance- Ispiring and kind of addicitng yet it also gets you pumped up.

4. neckowi

neckowi Well-Known Member

Good selections, I'm gonna have to check out Meshuggah now. I love Reroute to Remain, and I actually listen to it every day at work to try and get motivated. I've been meaning to put Clayman in my workout list (the song, not the whole album). As for Metallica, Battery is great, and Kill 'Em All is so aggressive and consistently fast that I might try it for cardio. Right now my list is some Static X, Slipknot, Mudvayne, Slayer, and the first Limp Bizkit album.
    :jumping:

#4 neckowi, Feb 12, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2004
  5. zeurath

zeurath Well-Known Member

Meshuggah is evil ;) I agree, Kill 'Em All is a great album altho I would rather lift to it than doing my cardio to it...

6. Banditfist

Banditfist Well-Known Member

Can't go wrong with Rage Against the Machine.

I currently have a lot of Linkin Park and Outkast with one or 2 trance songs. My wife tells me that she can tell when I am listening to a Linkin Park song because I have this pissed off look on my face.

Anyways, keep the posts coming. I want to d/l some of those mentioned so I can see what else is out there.

7. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Glad to see we have a few metallers around here ;).

In Flames are one of my favorite bands, I recommend the Clayman album, although Whoracle is a good choice too.
    Metallica, Anything from Kill em all, Ride the Lightning or St.Anger does it, I like all three, RTL being the favorite, songs like Trapped under Ice, Fight fire with fire, and Creeping Death make it very good for working out.

Slipknot are good for lifting, but awful for cardio, I prefere to do my cardio to Iron Maiden.

8. seeDerekNow

seeDerekNow Well-Known Member

For lifting, I like aggressive, "get pumped" music. Rob Zombie works well for me.

For cardio, I like something uptempo with a good beat. I recommend Chemical Bros "Hey Boy, Hey Girl" or "Crowd Song" by RhythmGangsta.

9. FINiK

FINiK Well-Known Member

Guys,
    Have you ever considered european melodic death metal bands?
    Currently my partnerts in the gym are mostly Finnish:
    Finntroll, Children Of Bodom, Norther, Ensiferium.
    These guys fill me with so much energy I can't understand where it comes from, especially after 12-13 hour workday.
    Also doing HIIT training has becomes fun with them, if you compose your playlist correctly. Most of the songs have a slow intro for warmup, then moderate part, then a chorus/speed solo that will get you to 90-100%, then moderate, speed, and so on...
    So basically, I'm dancing during my workout on the eliptical machine.

I'm now making a list of my favorite songs with RPM values for slow and fast parts and their duration for each song :)

10. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

In Flames would be classed a melodic death metal, but a lot of it isn't good enough for pumping. I agree Children of Bodom are very good for it, Fast band with a good upbeat tune to every song.
    Speaking of In Flames, guess who just started playing in my headphones ;)

Slipknot are my favorite lifting band, They put enough energy into their songs for a good lifting session.
    Naglfar are another.

11. NME

NME Well-Known Member

100% of the members at my gym (which is all of my brother and myself) agree that "Biggest & the Best" by Clawfinger is one of the finest songs to listen to while lifting. For those of you unfamiliar with the band I recommend you purchase their self-titled album and enjoy.

As for cardio, as far as I'm concerned nothing beats the Mortal Kombat album (the album based on the video game, not on the movies). A good solid beat (it's techno) and some really hokey lyrics that will, if nothing else, keep you entertained and probably help you burn a few more calories (assuming you find it as funny as I did/do).

My current album that I use for lifting sessions runs just over 45 minutes (approx. the length of time you should spend in the gym during a Max-OT session). It's got a the aforementioned Clawfinger, a couple of tracks off the MK album, and some other goodies (Outkast, NERD, Likin Park, Stabbing Westward, Guns N Roses, Living Colour, Dust for Life, etc.). So far it's great for getting the adrenaline pumping as well as keeping to a pretty good timeline in the gym.

12. Monster

Monster Well-Known Member

Just getting started

This is my first week of cardio and weights (second week perfecting diet) and so far I've only used 1 disk. The Misfits - Walk among us.

13. Whoracle

Whoracle Well-Known Member

I almost always listen to Metallica for my cardio. I usually listen to the same stuff either way but Metallica is a must for cardio, I mean how do you not just start kicking ass listening to Battery? My cardio list is usually (it's longer than my workout, sometimes I change it up):

And justice for All
    Battery
    Eye of the Beholder
    Fade to Black (works for cardio)
    For Whom the Bell Tolls
    Leper Messiah
    Orion (works for cardio)
    Master of Puppets
    Sanitarium (Another a cardio only song usually)
    One
    Blacken

Thats good enough for me.

I also listen to In Flames for Cardio, though sometimes I listen to the harder stuff for lifting like Only for the Weak (best song ever). Dark Tranquillity also gets cardio time. Anyway at he gym I listen to a lot of death metal, usually straight up brutal death, with some exceptions like Children of Bodom and SoilWork. I know they are death metal, but they aren't brutal. But usually it's either Nile, Vital Remains, The Black Dahlia Murder, Cryptopsy, Dying Fetus, or Amon Amarth. \m/ Also, I know they are not brutal death, but early Napam Death is awesome as well.

14. Paul J

Paul J Well-Known Member

I listen to metallica, mudvayne, lincoln park when im wokring out my usual intensity.

back day is my most intense workout, since i am really trying to add more muscle in my back, on those days i prefer pantera and slipknot, or anything else really heavy

15. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Whoracle - Have you heard the Quiet Place by In Flames? It's been leaked from their new album, that and two other songs, Borders and Shading, and Touch of Red.
    Excellent cardio songs.

Dark Tranquillity's first album is good too.

16. Tiger King

Tiger King Well-Known Member

KMFDM - Ultra

Best song ever

17. Whoracle

No I haven't heard the new In Flames stuff yet. I know people rag on it all the time but I really liked Reroute to Remain. From what I hear though it's getting all bad reviews, but this is from people who hated RtR so who knows. I never got how people could hate on Clayman either, Only for the Weak is like the best song ever.

18. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

19. Whoracle

I got an error trying to lick on the link.