1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Tips For Better Photos

Discussion in 'Media Threads' started by andi, Mar 24, 2004.

1. reanimated838uk

reanimated838uk Well-Known Member

Look on the camera for a flower symbol. Pressing this will enable the macro feature. Pressing it again will disable it. This may vary depending on brands but its pretty universal.

2. DcK

DcK Well-Known Member

Question on pictures... how do you take two seperate jpeg's, make them into one jpeg, side by side, as in before/after? What software can I download to do this? I have digital camera I'm using, I've been able to play around with layers and get the photos side by side, yet they where not taking at the exact same distance, and I can't figure out how to zoom one to match the other??

hope the above makes sense... I just want to create side by side, before and after.

3. andi

andi Well-Known Member

I haven't used a lot of different editing programs, I do everything in Photoshop. But here are the basics, hopefully this example will make sense:

Photo 1 is 640 pixels x 240 pixels and includes space above your head and below your feet. Photo 2 is also 640x240 but cuts off at your ankles. The best thing to do in this situation is to crop photo 1 so that it also cuts off at your ankles and then resize it back to 640x240. The quality won't be as good as the original or as good as photo 2, but if what you're trying to accomplish is to have them show the same perspective that's the way to do it. Then (depending on the program) either widen the canvas of photo 1 and cut and paste photo 2 next to it, flatten and save, or create a new blank image, cut and paste 1 into it, and cut and paste 2 into it, flatten and save. Hope that makes sense. Hard to give specific advice in this case.

Gimp is a free and powerful photo editing program: http://gimp.org/ It is perfectly possible to to what you're asking about in Gimp, but it will mean installing it and reading the help. I have it installed but have only used it once, so I can't give any advice here. Good luck!

4. DcK

DcK Well-Known Member

Thanks.... that helped.

5. boomboom

boomboom Well-Known Member

You can also use **************.net to crop the images to the same size. Then you can compare the two using the "mouswheel" flip function.

6. Genetix

Genetix Well-Known Member

I just got a Cyber-shot s40 for my progress pics, best entry level camera I've ever used. Anyway, I wanna know how you can get consistant pictures every time, like John does in his progress pics, his face and body always seems to be exactly in the same position as every other pic. How does he do it? :confused:

7. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Bump, because this is a good thread. I just wish I could remember all of this stuff all at once.

8. badgolfer

badgolfer Well-Known Member

Dont worry Guava it isnt going anywhere. Its stickied at the top. :D

9. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

:p
    I guess I should browse the forums more. If it doesn't show up in my new posts, I forget to read it.

10. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

11. JorgenMan

JorgenMan Active Member

Here's a site with a lot of good information that has really helped me to take better pictures. (Hint: you don't need a $1000 camera)

http://kenrockwell.com/tech.htm

I can also vouch for the quality of GIMP. My wife does quite a bit of photo work, and she's able to do amazing things with it. The Windows installer is at http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/

Of course, she's been playing with Lightroom, and for cleaning up photos (color, contrast, removing artifacts), she's really enjoyed it. I can sense a budget request in my future.

12. jaxworkinprogress

jaxworkinprogress Active Member

While I was researching this whole before & after body transformation I came across a good instructional video on YouTube which covers the proper way to shoot your photos. It was made and posted by David Barwin who, in addition to undergoing his body transformation, is a video and media professional. Barwin covers camera & tripod position, posing position and angles, continuity and even how to shoot a personal video. Here is the link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lObdVAsnVlE