1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Time to reboot

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Arlen, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Arlen

Arlen Well-Known Member

Just looked at my stats. I joined JSF over 10 years ago now. I've not been active for many years though. Little turmoil in my life (divorce) and I let things get out of hand. But that's in the past now...Life is good right now. Time to focus on getting myself healthy again. I see 4 years ago I was 181. I seem to recall I wanted to lighten up a bit. I was racing mtn bikes a little. I'm pegged right around 200 lbs now. wow. It's not a fit 200 either. I can still hold my own on a mtn bike but it hurts more. Quite a bit more actually. Ok a lot more!

This is day number one for me. In 115 days I leave on a trip to go visit my family which I haven't seen a a couple of years. Loading up my two kids, my girlfriend and her two kids for a WI to CA road trip. So I have 114 days, 16 weeks, to get to where I want to be. Ideally I'd like to be 175-180. I'd feel so much lighter and faster on my bike. Losing a 20lb dumbbell....that's good be a good thing? So that's 1.25-1.5 lbs per week.

I have a MyFitnessPal account to count calories. I ride bikes and have Strava so it imports my calories burned. I eat poorly and too much. at 6'-1", 42 years old and lightly active it says I should consume 1878 calories per day, if I'm active 60 minutes, 4 times per week. I do drive a desk for work.

I know what I have to do. Time to get to it.

I'll be back again tomorrow to post what I did well and what I can do better.

kglover and John Stone like this.
  2. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Excellent to see you back here, Arlen! Sounds like it's time to rock n roll. 114 days and counting. You got this.

3. Arlen

Arlen Well-Known Member

Except for yesterday's lunch which I had eaten before I decided to get my act together again, yesterday went fairly well. For reference I ate Jimmy Johns for lunch. I looked at the nutritional content afterwards....I will not be eating Jimmy Johns for lunch for 114 days. Holy crap.

I made chicken tacos for dinner last night. I had two, with a little sour cream. Next time I'll just eat them on a bed of lettuce and replace the sour cream with some hot sauce. I'm down to 199 today. I started yesterday at 199.6. I'm guessing that's all water weight as we were both bloated from a very salty meal on Sunday. Regardless. Down is better than up.

I'm working on sorting out a meal plan and exercise plan, but I figure in the mean time I can get back to smaller meals and healthy snacks in between. I don't drink soda so nothing to cut there. I barely ever eat dessert so no problem there either.

For exercise it's the time of the year that I want to get out and ride my mountain bike on the local dirt trails. So everything will be geared around that. Twice a week it my preference to keep me sane. Stretching and core work are going to be beneficial for me as well and I've had a long history of lower back problems.

Time to get at it.

P.S. Is there a way to link your MyFitnessPal account to this account?

4. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Do you mean to authenticate/login? No. If you just want a link to your MFP account or your MFP progress banner in your signature, then that's very easy.

5. volleyball

volleyball Pickled

Looking forward to following your progress, Arlen. Your stats are so similar to my own at the moment -- 6', 195#, 45 -- that it makes it interesting. Also similarly, I got down to a low of 180 last February, maintained in the low to mid 180s for the summer and into fall, then fell off the wagon and hit my head, bounced down a hill, landed on a street and nearly got run over by a passing truck (that would've been 200#). :kickrock:

Best of luck on your journey! :tu:

6. Arlen

Arlen Well-Known Member

I was looking just to show my progress banner in my sig. I'm not IT literate though. :surrender:

7. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

It's super easy.

Go here: Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com and copy the BBcode for your ticker.

Then, come back here and paste it into your signature: http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/account/signature

Couple of notes:
    - You need to make sure your ticker is set to public on MFP: Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com
    - An upgraded JSF membership is required to post images in your signature

kglover likes this.
  8. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Go man go! You can do this!

9. Arlen

Arlen Well-Known Member

Diet has been going well this week. I'm not 100% dialed in yet but it's coming right along. Days go so much better when meals are planned out. Less consistency when I'm hungry and there is no plan. I'm down in weight a little each day so that is a good trend. Taking full measurements tomorrow morning so I can have something other than scale weight to judge my progress. Feels good to get back into it again.

kglover likes this.