1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

those with depression or those who feel sad

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Jono, Dec 4, 2004.

1. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

i would recomend this to anyone, those whom have no problems in life at all. i have to say that this book alone is more educational and informative than anything i've seen in my life. it is a very powerful tool, and i think anyone that can read WILL benefit from this book.

even though i am not depressed or have a mental illness. already i have found out just how powerful some of the thoughts i have processed can be.

Feeling Good : The New Mood Therapy
    by David D. Burns

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0380810336/ref=sib_dp_pt/102-8769102-2595328#reader-link

2. PeteBDawg

PeteBDawg Well-Known Member

A very good topic.

Unlike many, I have in the past been very certain that I have crossed the line between "I think I might have a problem with depression" to "I know for certain I have very serious problems with depression," and unlike some, I have been to rock bottom and been forced by circumstances to either cash in my chips or build myself back up from square one.

A lot of people languish in depression for a long time, never really knowing if there was anything actually wrong, and I guess I was like that, but then I had a full-on collapse that really showed me how bad things can get.

Nowadays, I am 1000% better, thanks to a whole bunch of stuff, including JSF, although I had to get through the really hard parts before I ever saw this website.

One book that helped me a ton in getting though that time in my life was

The Consolations of Philosophy
    by Alain De Botton

I found that when I was depressed, I wasn't interested in reading about perspective or about solutions to my problems. The depression was self-reinforcing, and it was very hard to sustain the desire to help myself. For me, very aggressively rational thinking was a life preserver I could hang onto when things were really rough, and this book strikes a great balance between being legit enough to command a fair amount of respect while being an easy enough read to still be able to manage when you're troubled.

This book helped me realize that if you're the kind of person who is constantly asking questions about the meaning of life and deeply deeply troubled by the answers, you don't have to settle for "we can never know," "make it up for yourself," or "keep trying the things you've been trying that don't work, and eventually they will work."

There actually are substantively different ways of thinking about stuff and very powerful ideas most people don't think about often, if at all. There is hope for a new way of thinking.

There are a lot of new ways of thinking most people haven't tried that are very well documented and systematic, and not just rooted in the idea that for some arbitrary reason you "ought" to think whatever is necessary to make you feel better.

You can do better than that. You really can find ideas that put your mind at ease.

For me, self-help books didn't generally have the really thorough thinking-through behind them that I needed to pacify my mind when I was really depressed, and academic books were too dry and unreadable to manage. So this is what I did, along with a whole bunch of other stuff. And it worked. It might not won't work for somebody less obsessively bookish than myself. But it might. Check it out.

#2 PeteBDawg, Dec 5, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2004
  3. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

well i know for a fact this book is THE book to read. because this book is the basis of alot of how pshyciatrist and psycholgists treat patients. the therapy used in this book was helped created by the author and his exact therapy is used world wide

im not saying this book will cure you. it can help the mild cases, but it points you in the right direction if you have a serious case.

NONETHELESS, i would recomend this book to any and everyone, regardless of there mental state

4. Kino

Kino Well-Known Member

Something I have learned over the past 9-12 years is that typically the message is the same...it's a matter of where we are in life that determines who we are open to hearing it from.
    For me it was Dan Millman, who wrote Way of the Peaceful Warrior.
    That was actually the second book of his that I had picked up, after first reading The Life You Were Born to Live. Since...I have read 95% of what he has published, with No Ordinary Moments being a reference that I still return too often.
    I've heard many motivational speakers, and read alot of what these people have written. There was a time in my life where I felt that, this book is going to give me the answers I'm looking for. After you read enough of these books, you realize that it's just another authors perception of the same material, written in a different way.
    I won't list all of the different authors that I've read, but it is a long list indeed. I've gotten to the point where I cringe when I hear Anthony Robbins name mentioned. True, he is a great man to have helped so many people to have changed their lives...but he did not create the message...he is only the vehicle to carry it. It's unfortunate that the quickest way to get somebody's attention is through their wallet. Because the message is there...the message is free...but from what I have observed, people just don't seem to willing to hear it, unless they have invested money to hear it. For me...my investment was reading enough books to realize the true message that was being conveyed. For me it was in reading the same thing over and over and over again, with the only difference being that the words were arranged differently.
    Each of us is an indivisual, with our own personality, thoughts, and belief system...While in the end, we all ultimately come to see and understand the same message...the journey is in finding the one person who is able to put the information in terms that we are willing to listen too. All of this being said...I wish for each person to find their messenger.