1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

This year I just want to grow....

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by droopy172, Apr 3, 2008.

1. droopy172

droopy172 Active Member

Ok i'm gonna attempt a journal again just to keep track of progress. This year I just want to grow in size not really worrying about bodyfat since cutting is a lot easier for me. I'm currently 175lbs at ~12% body fat. My current plan is HSS-100 by CT it is a 16 week routine with 4 stages my diet is semi clean diet as I have a tough time gaining weight. Here is what I have done so far as I just started this routine on Tuesday.

Plans for this year:
    -Duruing high volume phase of routine will eat only red meat (any suggestions if I should eat a fatty cut or a lean cut?)
    -Cut for 2-3 weeks inbetween routines to keep fat minimal.
    -Throw in LISS on off days
    -Work on abs more
    -Incorporate more olympic lifts

Current Supps:
    VPX NO Shotgun - I really like the energy it provides I like the this one
    Matrix 5.0 Protein
    ON fish oil caps
    ON multivitamin
    Creatine Mono
    Xtend

Tuesday
    Front Squats 4x8
    A1 leg extensions 3x12
    A2 leg press 3x10
    bulgarian split squats 4x10
    leg press 1x100

Wednesday
    Bent over rows 4x8
    A1 wide grip cable pull downs 3x12
    A2 chest supported rows 3x10
    Rack pulls 4x10
    cable rows 1x100
    haney shrugs 5x5
    machine shrugs 1x100

All I gotta say is this program is pretty damn brutal no matter how little weight I use I cannot do 100 reps non stop. I guess I'll have to build my way there but wow am I sore. I really haven't been this sore since I first started working out. I usually don't like body split routines but the program looks fun and interesting it also allows variety. Its kind of strange my legs were not so sore the day after but 2 days after they're like even more sore?

2. goonie

goonie Active Member

That's pretty normal actually.

The 100 rep "sets" you're basically just doing with a load where you can say you got them done with, right? Meaning not trying to find the absolute maximum amount of weight you could actually lift, and survive to tell about it. :)

3. droopy172

droopy172 Active Member

Is it really to have the soreness delay like that? Yeah pretty much i'm just trying to find a weight if any to do a 100 non stop like for the 100 shrugs i did it on a machine with 10 lbs on each side with wrist straps cuz my grip kept giving out. Same with the 100 rows I only 30 lbs and my grip gave out LOL. They are quite painful. Even the 100 leg press at 20 lbs I couldn't do and I had to stop in the middle cause I lost circulation in my foot after like 75 reps. LOL

4. droopy172

droopy172 Active Member

Thursday Abs Rest only between sets
    Set 1
    1x15 crunches
    1x15 side crunches
    1x15 reverse crunches

Set 2
    1x15 reverse crunches
    1x15 side crunches
    1x15 crunches

Set 3
    1x15 crunches
    1x15 side crunches
    1x15 reverse crunches

I usually don't like working out abs but might as well work on a stronger core. So now i had 3 days rest I can really notice the difference in size in my quads plus they're still sore! Other people have noticed that I look more full all of a sudden those 100 reps really help you feel pumped along with the NO Shotgun I think i'll cycle it though and only use it for a month then stop for 2-4 weeks then use it again on my high volume stage.

5. droopy172

droopy172 Active Member

Friday Hams and Lower back
    4x8 Good mornings
    A1 3x12 lying leg curls
    A2 3x10 DB RDLs
    4x10 Pull Throughs
    1x100 seated leg curls
    4x10 Standing calf raises
    1x100 seated calf raises

Saturday Chest and Shoulders
    4x8 DB Bench
    A1 3x12 cable flies
    A2 3x10 incline bench
    2xtill failure Multi level bench
    1x100 Pec Deck
    4x10 ahrens press
    4x10 side raises
    1x100 machine shoulder press

Sunday
    Rest ahhhhhhh

Had a good weekend my chest, shoulders, hams, and lower back are super sore. We had a bbq yesterday and ordered like 6lbs of meat that was awesome we feasted!

6. droopy172

droopy172 Active Member

Monday Arms
    4x8 Standing elbows out narrow grip EZ Bar curl 65lbs
    3x12 wide grip elbows in preacher curl 35lbs (these were surprisingly hard!)
    3x10 elbows in standing dumbell curl 25lbs
    4x10 hammer curl 20lbs
    1x100 machine preacher curl 10lbs
    4x8 close grip bench press 125lbs
    3x12 overhead DB tricep extension 35lbs (I can do more but my elbows bother me)
    3x10 reverse grip close grip bench press 65lbs (these are awkard to do)
    4x10 JM Press 95lbs (for those who are unsure what this is www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxfzWbEKd6s this also bothers my elbows a little bit, the exercise is a little awkward at first but blows apart the triceps)
    1x100 cable pushdowns supinated grip 30lbs

Tuesday Quads/calves
    4x8 Front Squat 140lbs/165lbs
    A1 3x12 Leg extensions 145lbs
    A2 3x10 leg press 280lbs
    4x10 bulgarian squats 10lbs
    1x100 leg press 20lbs
    5x10 standing calf raises 230lbs
    5x10 sitting calf raises 90

Now that I have an idea of how much weight I can do on such high volume I can now record the weight I lift. Some numbers are a little off like my front squat it felt like I couldn't do 8 reps of 165lbs today but apparently I could and I think I could've done more. I worked out early in the morning today to beat the socializing gym crowd in the early evening hours. I really do not have as much energy in the morning even though I eat some pineapples and take NO Shotgun before leaving the house. After about 30 minutes I felt extremely tired but I still finished my workout ok. I realized I've been doing the workouts wrong so I'm adjusting it, I'm only supposed to do the 100 reps twice only on my arm day all the other days I'm supposed to choose only one body part for the H(eavy lift) S(uperset or triple set) S(pecial technique or special exercise -100 (reps) and add 2 regular sets for the second body part. I thought it was a little excessive but I still felt some gains as I still gained some weight.

7. droopy172

droopy172 Active Member

Wednesday Back and Traps
    4x8 bent over row 150lbs
    3x12 wide grip cable pulldowns 100lbs
    3x10 chest supported rows 50lbs
    4x10 rack pulls 215lbs/315lbs (new PR!) had to use wrist straps though as my grip gave out
    1x100 cable rows 20lbs
    4x10 power shrugs 140lbs+ whatever the smith machine bar weighs
    4x10 haney shrugs 80lbs + whatever the smith machine bar weighs

I had a friend go with me who's in the air force he seemed out of shape as he gave up in the middle of the bent over rows and just did cardio which is ok his body is probably not used to weights yet. This was a great workout the rack pulls were easy when I was doing about 200+lbs so I was like hmm i wonder if i can do 300+ I really wasn't expecting to do 315lbs 10 times although it was hard it felt good that I can do it. So far I gained a half an inch on all my measurements! I'll try to post some before and after pictures.

8. droopy172

droopy172 Active Member

Here's a neat little healthy recipe for you bulkers for some extra calories or low carb people. Its called adobong mani or in other words Garlic peanuts i got the recipe from recipe.com but its generally made the same way no matter what.

Ingredients

1 kilo raw peanut (DO NOT USE SPANISH PEANUTS as i made this mistake)
    1 head garlic ( less if you are not thrilled with too much garlic)
    1/2 tbsp salt ( very fine no rock) I used garlic salt powdered salt works better though
    1 tsp vetsin ( or to taste) I would Exclude this as this is basically MSG
    5 cups cooking oil smart balance has one with canola oil/olive oil mix with omega 3 EFAs

Instructions
    1) Heat the oil. fry the garlic in the oil until brown
    2) Take the garlic out of the oil. and set aside
    3) Put the peanuts in the oil carefully
    4) Fry the nuts for 10- 15 minutes in medium heat
    5) Keep on stirring
    6) To check if cooked, take one nut out and look at it closely, if cooked, you will notice that the nut has small white spot on it, but if still not sure, taste it. it should be a bit crunchy
    7) When cooked take out the nuts from the oil into a large platter lined with paper towel to absorb the oil from the nuts
    8) Spingkle the salt and vetsin on the nuts and stir them
    9) Put the garlic on top to decorate it
    10) You could also store it in a glass jar with air tight cover to keep it fresh

Now you have tasty peanuts and get omega 3's while at it. Of course you can play around with with the salt amount, garlic amount, if you want to add some sugar or something to sweeten it up etc. This really helps me get my extra calories in or if I need some food to snack on.

Thursday off/abs
    Set 1
    1x15 sit ups
    1x15 side crunches
    1x15 reverse crunches

Set 2
    1x15 reverse crunches
    1x15 side crunches
    1x15 sit ups

Set 3
    1x15 sit ups
    1x15 side crunches
    1x15 reverse crunches

9. droopy172

droopy172 Active Member

Missed a few days of posting due to being busy......

Wednesday back/traps
    Bent Over Rows 4x8 155/165
    A1 Cable Lat Pulls 3x12 100/90
    A2 Chest Supported Rows 3x10 50
    Rack Pulls 4x10 250/315
    Cable Rows 1x100 20
    Power Shrugs 4x10 150
    Haney Shrugs 4x10 90

This workout didn't go that well I still did it though but I had dinner with a friend before and ate really heavy food so throughout this whole workout I felt tired and groggy. Today is my ab day I think i'll throw in some cardio in there. Forgot to mention i'm weighing in at 179lbs its slowly rising. I think the only reason why I gained a pound is because I had a HUGE meal when we went out for dinner I had a 8oz filet mignon, 10oz alaskan king crab legs, 2 garlic rolls, cole slaw, green beans, and a bowl of garlic pasta.

#9 droopy172, Apr 17, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  10. droopy172

droopy172 Active Member

I'm back!

Monday arms
    Elbows out close grip barbell curl 4x8 80lbs/85lbs
    Eblows in wide grip preacher curl 3x12 35lbs
    Elbows in DB curl 3x10 25lbs
    Hammer curls 4x10 20lbs
    Machine preacher curls 1x100 10lbs
    Close grip BB press 4x8 140lbs/150lbs
    Overhead DB Press 3x12 45lbs
    Supinated Grip close grip BB press 3x10 95lbs
    JM Press 4x10 110lbs
    Supinated grip tricep extensions 1x100 20lbs

I think due to using the computer so much at work i'm beginning to get arthritis in the wrists. They hurt when I curl and prevent me from lifting the amount I want to. I need to get some joint supplement as this is starting to bother me on a daily basis. On the good note I weighed in at 182lbs today woo hoo! This is the last week of phase 1 I think for the next phase i'm gonna add cardio for the first week or two and i'm not going to use the VPX supplement or use creatine for phase 2. I will save everything for phase 3 which is the high volume phase.

11. droopy172

droopy172 Active Member

I haven't updated in a while but none the less i've been consistent haven't missed a meal and still having progress. I am now in stage 2 of HSS-100 which is the intensification stage. Pretty much I just changed up the exercises and slightly less reps then before. I believe this is to gain some strength before the high volume phase. Anyhow this is what I did.

Tuesday quads/calves
    Back squat 3x6 1x4 225lbs/235lbs
    Hack squat 3x8 185lbs
    DB Lunges 3x10 25lbs
    Sissy squats 4x10 25lbs
    Leg Extensions 1x100
    one legged standing calf raises 10lbs
    45 degree angle calf raises 140lbs

Wednesday back/traps
    Chin ups 3x6 1x4 5lbs/10lbs
    DB Bent over rows 3x8 55lbs
    Wide grip pulldowns 3x10 100lbs
    Rope rows 4x10 120lbs
    machine bent over rows 1x100
    DB Shrugs 4x8 80lbs
    Seated shrugs 4x10 45lbs

Thursday abs/cardio

Doing so much research on here and other forums and a lot of trial and error I think I finally managed to get the results I wanted. I'm sure I can fix a few things here and there and of course everyone's body is dfferent but I'm happy with my progress. Since I started on this journal I was 1 month into my return (I was injured for 2 months) and bulk at 175lbs now I'm at 183lbs woo hoo!!

Coming from mostly full body workout routines then switching to a split has made a huge difference in gaining size. The fully body workouts mostly gave me strength with some size gains but all that strength gain pays off in a body split volume trainin program. I think when I cut i'm going to go back to full body workouts.

12. droopy172

droopy172 Active Member

OOOO I almost forgot on one of my cheat days I went to a sushi buffet oh it was great. I ate for 2 hours straight with only sashimi, beef, and chicken, and some rolls just to get some carbs in. I felt like i was gonna throw up from all the food I ate but when I got home and weighed myself I ate 6lbs of food LOL The next day I didn't gain a single pound I was disappointed.