1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Things you wish you'd known when you first started

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by BRobinson, Aug 24, 2004.

1. BRobinson

BRobinson Well-Known Member

I think it would be incredibly helpful if we made a list of all the things we wish we had known when we first started our transformations/fitness programs. I'll go ahead and start.

I wish I had known that:
    -Modern Biology still applies (it's not some abstract thing taught in school), so protein is the safest thing to eat for fat loss.
    -Slow and steady cardio in the AM is best for fat loss
    -Eat 1 hour before and immediately after a workout (low fat, with some carbs and plenty of protein)
    -PWO means Post Work Out (generally)
    -Muscle and Fitness is pretty much useless as an information source
    -Mens health is somewhat better, less ad-focused, though nothing beats buying an actual book (Men's Health Testosterone Plan is very comprehensive)
    -Eat 5-7 meals a day for optimum results in muscle gain OR fat loss
    -Supplements should be researched, most are too good to be true, for the others, ask about them here first
    -Carbs or Fat, neither alone is the culprit for obesity, overeating on the other hand, is
    -Low-Fat Diets are difficult to stick to for long periods
    -Take a multivitamin daily
    -Over-exercising (>1 hr day cardio) will hurt you more than help you
    -Patience will help you make it in your diet just as much as dedication
    -Don't starve yourself or you will stop seeing results

That's all I can think of for now. Hope that helps someone!

-Brent Robinson

2. Specialbear

Specialbear Well-Known Member

AM CARDIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eat for results, not for taste.

Cheating is blown out of proportion. Suck it up, visualize ur dream, and eat right.

U can only cheat urself by half-assing ur workout.

3. Iced Earth

Iced Earth Well-Known Member

Well,
    I first started my fitness program about 16 years ago, but here are some of the things I would suggest to anyone embarking on a transformation or dramatic psyique change.

~ Lift Weights! Learn to use free weights in perfect form, using the Big, Basic movements. Deadlift, Squat, Bench, Row, and Overhead Press for the first few years. Use Progressive poundages take a 1 week break every 10-12 weeks. This will work for you, not against you. Work up to heavy weights in each of these movements, and you WILL grow. More muscle = higher metabolism = lower bodyfat (with relative calorie consumption)

The greatest diet in the world won't help you attain low bodyfat levels if you don't turn some of those calories into muscle. Save the kickbacks and bicep curls for later. Bent row over 225 and your biceps will be impressive. Bench Press for 1.5 your bodyweight and you'll have big triceps. Squat and deadlift huge weights in good form, and you'll have muscle in places you never thought possible.
    Consider being as strong as you want to look.

~ Diet. Well, we've learned a lot over the years regarding what's really healthy. Back when I started all Fats were a no-no. Not since Dan Duchaine and his Flax Oil revolution did we realize the fat/testosterone ratio in males, not to mention the healthy benefits of them. Fish oils were unheard of then. Point is, 1,2,5,10 years from now we'll know even more about what's really healthy or not. So yes, high protein these days is all the rage and most likely isn't going away. Heck, If I knew about low carbs diets back in high school I may have actually got lean and gotten a date.
    So keep reading and learning, but most importantly learn about YOUR body. Because everyBODY is indeed different.

~ Read. Everything about everything. Philosophy, learn HOW to think. If someone on here tells you to eat (X) amount, (Y) times per day, consider it and figure out why that may be a good, or bad idea. You have a wonderful computer in your head, use it wisely in regards to your training, diet, and your everyday life. What works great for someone else, could be disaster for you.

~ And yes, cardio can benefit everyone. It raises the metabolic rate, increases endorphins in the brain to help well being, and is great for the heart. There will always be debates regarding wether one form at one time a day is better than another. The bottom line is, don't skip it. If this means doing it later in the day, then fine. Try not to do it on a full stomach though. I've met people along the way who have gotten lean doing cardio at night, morning, mid-day and mid-morning. I don't believe cardio is EVER a waste of time, though some times may be better at burning fat than others. The point here is....like the famous Nike Ad..........JUST DO IT. You're 100% better than before if you just did it, no matter what time of day.

Great post BTW!
    Best wishes to all. Never give up on your dreams.
    :tu:

4. jaz75

jaz75 Well-Known Member

The most important thing I've learned reasently is the importance of eating ENOUGH kcalories, eating often enough (every three hours) and that EACH MEAL should be composed with the correct amounts of fat, carb and protein.:eat:

And for fat loss: Cardio every day, and lifting three times a week simply WORKS! :tu:

5. nate1

nate1 Well-Known Member

Wish I would've known I was running the wrong way on the indoor track for my first month...turns out there is a sign expressing the obvious.

6. nemesis_0_

nemesis_0_ Well-Known Member

wish i had known that eating only 1600 cals a day vs the 5000 cal i used to eat, and working out for 120+ min a day together would cause me to faint

7. ABguy

ABguy Well-Known Member

That the muscle I lost cutting like a maniac would be alot harder to get back later..

8. velocity

velocity Well-Known Member

That when first starting a weight lifting regimen you have to start a lot lighter and slower than what you're capable of... not just for the muscles, but for the joints and ligiments to get acclimated.

That www.JohnStoneFitness.com existed.

9. richparsonsx

richparsonsx Well-Known Member

That the whole journey of getting healthy isn't just a program or a diet, it is a lifestyle change for most people. Before you can do it with any degree of success, you have to want it bad enough to make yourself do it and hold yourself to it.

10. PeteBDawg

PeteBDawg Well-Known Member

- That, no matter how fast or how long you run or how much you lift, you have to change what you eat to lose fat.

- That there are scientific, well-researched, legit, not-for-profit plans for cutting your body fat.

- That your body doesn't need a day off after a cardio workout.

- That, even if fat cells multiply and don't go away, and even if one or both of your parents are overweight, it is still totally possible to lose a great deal of fat over a fairly short period of time and keep it off.

- That I could wake up three hours before work every morning and not drop dead.

- That it is safe and totally doable to lose 1-2 lbs per week.

- That canned fish is still good for you and isn't totally nasty.

- That my skull looks alright with a crew cut, and that short hair can make working out in the summer easier.

11. CL117

CL117 Well-Known Member

I would say..

That success is directly dependent on mental preparation. Such things as will power, knowledge, and focus are the key...not only when dieting, but pretty much with everything in life. The "doing" is the easy part.

:tu:

12. ShadowPenguin

ShadowPenguin Well-Known Member

Don't try to model yourself or judge your progress by someone elses physique.

Don't give a damn about what the guy next to you is benching, or the cliques of juicers that hang in the gym. You are working out for YOU, don't get discouraged. They may have massive builds but cutting corners gets you nowhere.

13. Skoorb

Skoorb Well-Known Member

I started a decade ago, but my main pitfalls at the time were:

1) Not eating enough, and semi-starving myself at times (not severely though, but i didn't eat consistently enough)

2) Not getting enough protein (it wasn't a concern at the beginning)

3) Overtraining. I had read too much of the conventional literature which said that 48 hours was how long it took to recover from a workout. I blame this on Arnold's encyclopedia, which was a great source for a lot of things (like diet and which excercises to do, etc.), and bad on others (like which workouts to follow). For many months I worked out an average of 6 days/week, leaving a body part only 48 hours to recover. My workouts were about 90 min. I was 16, so I still had pretty great gains from such a bad workout program :D

14. brezman

brezman Well-Known Member

-Your BF% is higher than you think it is. Never fails.

15. minilifter

minilifter Well-Known Member

- Motivation follows action

16. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Well-Known Member

It takes diet, cardio, and weight training to really make a difference. I've tried them one at a time and I've tried them two at a time. I didn't see a real difference in my physique until I came up with a plan to include all three.

17. Timbermiko

Timbermiko Well-Known Member

Don't jump from routine to routine because you didn't give it enough time to let weight manifest itself on the bar....I would'nt even consider changing routines no less than 30 weeks.
    Don't try to get big and ripped at the same time...for 99% of us it won't happen. Do one or the other and don't be wishy washy jumping from one to the other, you will just spin your wheels.
    Don't think for a minute you will get huge in 6 mons.
    Plan on it taking a few years to acheive a suberb, big and strong physique. DRUG FREE!!!
    Don't kid yourself justifing gorging thinking you are liftin' big , (squats, Deads Presses ...etc) that it's all good! Most of us will get plain fat, log your food!
    Save your bucks on the supplements...most are snake oil ;)
    Get some protein, perhaps some creatine and get some knowledge if you want to try something out. READ!
    STAY CONSISTENT!!!

18. yoyomahh

yoyomahh Well-Known Member

I wish I would have known back then...that I would be this happy with my new bod. I would have done it sooner :tu:

19. kc135r

kc135r Well-Known Member

-you are only as strong as your grip, wrists, and lower back!

-never get comfortable with a weight. Once you can meet your set/rep max it's time to go up!!

-WATER!!!! Drink It

-Take pictures, see what others see

-Rest!!!

-you will always fight the human instinct to make the job easier. Lift Big, Lift heavy!

-Help others to reach their goals!! Don't be a jerk. People will respect you and like you, guaranteed!

20. rooster

rooster Well-Known Member

- Morning Cardio rocks

- Cycling is more fun then you would ever think it would be

- Motivation takes many forms so don't be embarassed if you think yours is weird

- Increasing the thigh muscles will increase your metabolism by quite a bit since they are so large and require so much energy. ;) (Cycling!)