1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

ThiMo's Cut

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by TheThirdMohican, Jan 2, 2013.

1. TheThirdMohican

TheThirdMohican Active Member

Hi, I've never cut before.

I mean, when I graduated high school I was probably ~20% BF and 165 lbs at 6 foot 3, pure skinny fat. I went on an exercise/diet binge for a while until I discovered this site and poor little me was sitting at 145 lbs and wasting away until I learned how important eating was to building muscle.

But since then it's always been bigger BIGGER BIGGER. Eat when hungry. Eat even when not hungry. NEVER be hungry. Protein/carbs/fats (all clean) whatever timing ok. And absolutely NO cardio.

Here I am now, 6 foot 3 inches, 200 lbs. Waist at 34 inches from 30.5 at my lowest. By the Navy method my BF% is 18 which by photos is about right. Ideally I'd like to get down to the 10-12% range while preserving as much muscle as possible.

Since I am an ectomorph (maybe was? since I have gotten older and may have eaten my metabolism out to meso status) I am going to be very careful about cutting calories. I am going to try to separate out my carbs/proteins and carbs/fats as much as possible and limit carb intake after 7pm except on workout days. Sleep is 7 minimum, ideally 8 hours.

Lifting is 3x/week, total body style (one of mastover's recommended routines). 'Off' days will be HIIT cardio 3x/week with Abs/yoga interspersed.

Will be monitoring with weekly weigh-ins, measurements with tape, BF% calipers, and HR monitor (calipers and monitor on their way).

Let's do this.

2. TheThirdMohican

For whatever the photo tool is not working for me so cannot post pictures right now.

Initial Measurements:

Height 75 inches
    Weight 200.4 lbs
    Waist 34.5 inches
    Neck 13.75 inches
    Biceps, cold unflexed 12.5 inches each (skinny arms...)
    Navy BF estimate: 17.8%
    LBM: 164.74 lbs
    Fat mass: 36.66 lbs

3. TheThirdMohican

1/2/12

First HIIT workout ever

Since no HR monitor came in yet decided to go ahead and take Robert2006's advice (from a thread in Fat Loss/Cutting forum) and do set distance sprints with a walk back to the start.

As a preface I was never a great athlete or runner as a child. I vividly remember my 14:40 mile in 6th grade, then my 11:15 as a 7th grader, and finally I was soooo proud of running an 8:15 mile as an 8th grader. The 8 inch growth spurt probably didn't hurt! Still, even in 8th grade I hated running. I did track because my friends did it, and I ran the 100 meters but I was terribly slow and mostly picked it because it was the shortest race so it would be over sooner.

In high school I ran two seasons of cross country and I was decent and definitely better at the long distance thing than sprinting.

Since then I have no really run much as mentioned above. Still, I think all the anaerobic leg work has at the very least made me a much better sprinter than long-distancer.

So I walked out on the street I live on and picked a spot about ~80m away (checking on geodistance after it marks out to just under 100m). After a quick half mile warmup I did 10 sprints each followed by a leisurely recovery walk back to the start. It took 21 minutes in all, although twice I had to delay due to cars. It was tough! Still, it was super fun to go all out on the sprints (At least initially). By the then I was gassed and I've been tired since even after hydrating and eating.

Pretty decent start. To the weights tomorrow.

4. TheThirdMohican

Starting Pics

Didn't work, need to figure out why

#4 TheThirdMohican, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  5. TheThirdMohican

Thursday 01/04/12 Workout
    Squats: 20x145 lbs (try 150 lbs, goal 20 reps a set)
    Pullover and Press: 10,10 x 75 lbs (try 80 lbs, goal 10 reps a set)
    Chins: 15+5xBW (goal 20 reps in 1 set if possible)
    Standing Shoulder Press, DB: 10,9 x 40 lbs each arm (stay)
    Barbell Curls: 10,5 x 60 lbs (goal 10 reps a set, stay)
    Calf Raises, seated: 10/10 x 240/250 (goal 6-10 reps a set, try 260)

Saturday 01/06/12 Workout
    Romanians: 15,13x125 (goal 15 reps both sets, stay)
    Bent Over Rows: 10,9 x 130 (Goal 10 reps both sets, stay)
    Bench: 8,8,8 x 155 (try 160 lbs next time, goal 8 reps each set)
    Incline DB Curls: 7,6 x 35 lbs each arm (goal 8 reps each set, stay)
    Dips: 10,10,8 x +20 lbs added (goal 10 reps each set, stay)

Friday and Sunday got eaten up by vacation activities :doh:. When the whole extended family is here time get's eaten up so quickly. I was active on both days, ran a mile and did Ab Ripper X on the first day adn the second did some 'baby' HIIT swimming (today).

Back to work tomorrow. My workout schedule for the week:

Monday: Weights
    Tuesday: Off/Yoga
    Wednesday: HIIT Sprints/Abs
    Thursday: Weights
    Friday: HIIT Sprints/Abs
    Saturday: Weights
    Sunday: Morning LISS/Abs

I made the one modification of a LISS day versus HIIT on Sunday for three reasons:
    a) I have more time for the extended workout
    b) variety
    c) I was pretty battered by just 1 HIIT session, figure I will start with 2x/week with the LISS on the 3rd day and see if I can work up.

6. TheThirdMohican

I got my HR monitor and BF calipers (with myotape) in the mail. I tried out the monitor yesterday (Omron http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HR-100C-Heart-Rate-Monitor/dp/B000A5CEUO/ref=tag_dpp_lp_edpp_ttl_in) and overall it works fairly well. Checking it against my pulse it is fairly accurate. Plus I needed a watch anyway and it's not too bad looking. Going to use it for my next HIIT session on Tuesday but more importantly will be useful for LISS.

As for the calipers I tried them out this evening. My previous measurements with a regular tape measure gave me a Naval BF% of 17.9. I tried out the Myotape and all my measurements ended up higher:

Neck: 15.25 inches
    Waist: 34.75 inches
    Biceps: 13.5/13.75 inches

BF% by this method was 16.3%. It think both are underestimating slightly however given my abdominal and 'love handle' distribution.

The calipers I am still getting the hang of. I don't think I got the best measurements (my reproducibility for the abdominal one was almost nil) but I ended up with a poor 12.9% BF which is a gross underestimation. Still I will keep using those to track as well.

7. TheThirdMohican

I've been doing it just not updating!!

Hit all my weightlifting workouts the past two weeks. Got a couple of sprint HIIT ones in as well. Those are BRUTAL in terms of recovery the days after. I am thinking I might need new running shoes because my hips and knees are a mess for a couple of days after sprinting. Either that or my form needs work.

My weight is dropping, down to 196.4 lbs now. The drop is faster than I would like and I have upped the calories slightly accordingly to slow down the lean body mass loss.

Today I switched it up instead of running sprints and did stationary bike intervals instead. I needed something lower impact! I made the longer (30 minutes instead of 20 minutes) and it was more of a leg workout than a pure cardio workout. During my sprints my highest HR hit was 176 and today intiially I was only hitting 145. By the end, however, I was hitting 165 consistently. Solid workout, not spectacular, but better than nothing!

8. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Focus on form. Watch the sprinters in the olympics (available on you tube). They land on the front part of their foot with the foot under them. Then they lower the heel to the ground. This allows the foot and leg muscles to absorb the impact not your knees and hips.

Here is a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx6x2cD6Y8Q

There are others that do a better job but this is the first one I found. It looks like this guy is landing more flat footed than on the front of his foot but either way it is not a heel strike.

9. TheThirdMohican

Thanks for the tips! Great video. I love sprinting but I have discovered a new love I can do and never get bored: HIIT on the stationary bike.

I think John Stone has done it this way and I can see why.

Great week. Did all 3 of my lifting days AND (For the first time in years) all 3 of my HIIT cardio days, all stationary bike.

My latest today I went 20 minutes (After 1 minute warmup) alternating 20 sprint/20 active recovery with 20 sprint/40 active recovery. It was intense! By the end my HR was up to 175 (which is where I was getting with running sprints!).

The only problem with the cardio is the increased metabolism. I am down to 195 lbs, again a little faster than I would like.

My measurements tonight:
    Naval BF%: 15.4 (from 17.8 4 weeks ago)
    Caliper BF% (more unreliable): 16.0

10. TheThirdMohican

Another two week update. Missed last week update (and a workout) due to a impromptu trip to the Florida Keys. A few drinks later, still doing ok!

Hitting low 180s on my HIIT workouts now at the end. Amping up resistance on the week and keeping the duration shorter (15 minutes).

I'm maintaining or improving all my lifts for my upper body. My lower body lifts have taken a slight hit, maybe from fatigue from all the biking.

Stats today:

Height 75 inches
    Weight 194.5 lbs (down from 200.4 lbs 6 weeks ago)
    Waist 33.5 inches (down from 34.5 inches 6 weeks ago)
    Navy BF estimate: 13.9 (down from 17.8 initial)
    Caliper BF estimae: 13.83 (down from 16.4 last time, much more unreliable than body tape measure)

11. TheThirdMohican

2 week update. Heading to Atlanta for a boys weekend next week but should still get in all my workouts.

MHR I'm hitting now is only in high 170s. I'm starting to cut down the rest periods so I am closer to 1:1 work to rest periods on my stationary bike intervals.

I'm still maintaining or improving all my lifts for my upper body. My lower body lifts after the initial drop from starting HIIT are recovering nicely.

Stats today:

Height 75 inches
    Weight 192.4 lbs (down from 200.4 lbs 8 weeks ago)
    Waist 33 inches (down from 34.5 inches 6 weeks ago)
    Navy BF estimate: 13.39 (down from 17.8 initial, last 13.9)
    Caliper BF estimae: 13.24 (down from 13.83 last time, much more unreliable than body tape measure)

BF is starting to slow, ideally I could get it to 0.5% a week and 0.5-1 lb a week at least.