1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

The Vinery's Mirror Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by thevinery, Jul 1, 2008.

1. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

FOOD GOOD
    10 MILES BIKING

Yes! But I didn't bring my laptop home and so couldn't upload my sets and such -- will do so tonight. However, I also had a beer and glass of wine. :o Ah, well. There's my alcohol for the week.

Today just focusing on good food and hoping to get back on my bike for the first time in weeks. I got a flat on my old second-hand chugger bicycle and didn't think it was worth replacing as my brand new shiny work-subsidized bike was supposed to be coming through any day. Fast foward to three weeks later, no new bike as paper shuffling and red tape has gotten in the way, and me without cardio workouts because that's the only cardio I can really bear. I finally realized the process might take a while, dropped off the old bike at the shop, picking it up today after work. Should get a good 8 miles in today.

Food today:
    Egg white omelet w 4 whites, bit of feta
    latte
    Parma and mozz sandwich (yes, not great on macros, but free and delicious and I'm poor this week)
    Carrots
    Spinach and tuna

#41 thevinery, Jul 25, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  2. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

26th: 1.5 hours walking
    27: nada and bad food.
    28: approx 1200 cal, good food.
    29: upper lifting session planned... --UPDATE -- got a call out and was up until 3am, missed my lifting session. :(

Just getting this down before it all disappears.

#42 thevinery, Jul 29, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  3. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

30th-

FOOD GOOD (but low on cals, no appetite) approx 1000.
    8 MILES BIKING

Food: eggs n tomatoes, spinach salad, carrots, tuna, walnuts, bit o chocolate, latte, more salad

4. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

It's been crazy hectic the last few days - a few unexpected work callouts that have me on low sleep, thesis cram days plus regular work obligations, etc. I've not been home to do my lifting session that was planned for, oh, MONDAY.

I've just printed out another copy of my bodyweight workout to keep in my bag for weeks like these. I'll be home tonight and have enough sleep and food in me for a lifting session tonight, finally.

IT IS SO GOOD TO HAVE THE BIKE BACK. I cannot tell you how lovely it is to skate through London at night on a bike. Quiet, empty streets (relatively speaking), beautiful. So much nicer and cheaper than public transportation. I'm really looking forward to my ride home tonight.

I don't have food with me today partially because of last night's callout, but will go over to the store later today and pick up some veggies and meat. I had an egg salad sandwich this morning to quell the starvation - not ideal, but at least there's some protein in there somewhere.

Have a good day, all.

5. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

Does sound cool :)

Where do you have to go if you get called out?

6. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

This was an eleventh-hour request for a courtroom custody battle the next day. At a little bit past midnight I was given a 50 page psychologist's report on the custody situation and had a few hours to read it, spot the errors or questionable assumptions and weaknesses, and figure out questions that the attorney should ask during cross-examination of her testimony.

It was a really, really bad report. It's always so sad to see bad work showing up and having real impact in the lives of these kids and their parents.

I don't usually do this kind of thing, but when work comes up you take it! I have a small side business doing case preparation for forensic psychologists (they meet the kids and take the notes, I work up the notes to make it legible, coherent and presentable to the court), so I occasionally get late night work if not quite "call outs" with last-minute requests from that work too. Easy, interesting money.

7. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

Monday August 4

Posted Yesterday at 11:33 PM by thevinery
    FOOD GOOD (1200 cal prob high on carbs)
    10 miles biking

Today was ridiculously productive. 7 hours paid work, 1 new client, and close to 1000 words on the thesis. Not bad!

8. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

*sigh* This may end up being another maintenance month.

I've been incredibly overloaded with the thesis and paid work, plus on the edge of sickness for the last week or so. Have been focusing on good food and keeping the calories down, keeping the protein up, and getting exercise in the form of walking and biking when I can. No lifting in the past two weeks. :o I'm getting to work early and leaving at around 10pm, and when I get back the last thing I have energy for is lifting... but this needs to change.

Again, think I've shifted the goal to maintenance. Happily, after August 28th I'm golden; should be able to focus in. If I drop a few pounds based on decent diet this month I'll be happy and won't wish for more.

9. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

Thesis is IN :claphigh::claphigh::claphigh::claphigh:

So less :eat:

More :flex:

-----

Today all good:
    6 miles biking
    Alcohol: none
    Sugar: none
    Food: good (abt 1100 cals)

I'm at 137 or prob a bit less as the water weight comes off over the next few days. I want 6 pounds off by October 1.

10. dino

dino Active Member

Congratulations on your thesis!! What an amazing epic acheievement. Good luck wiht your goals now you have more time to focus

11. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

:claphigh::claphigh: yeh for the completed thesis and a good day nutritonally/activity wise :) go hit those:bb: and the pounds will come off :)

12. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

alcohol: 2 shots whisky
    suger: none
    food: good, maybe a bit over
    (mussels for dinner for chinese night replacement... tomato sauce could be worse but not exactly chicken and broccoli -- rest of the day was excellent)
    bike: a mere 5 miles or so (again, better than nothing)

Morning all-

Hectic day at work today making me feel all electric. And I brought my tuna and broccoli so I am pretty well a working/working-out super-star.

As expected, weight was already down a bit this morning as some salt/carb/monthly bloat comes off. I'm at 136.6. Given that I was last serious about the workout goals almost two months ago, I'm actually really happy with myself for keeping maintenance going during the thesis crunch time. I didn't document here but I ate mostly well (with more alcohol than usual and more carbs) and was even decently active, if not "getting in shape" active. No stress leading to massive overeating or anything like that, and I didn't do the other work stress thing I sometimes do of forgetting to eat. All things in moderation... and it seems to have worked.

Also, after a period of red-tape ridiculous delay, my bike should be in any day now. I've outgrown the old one something fierce and am really excited to go pick it up, either this weekend or sometime next week. Besides a run once or twice a week this will be my cardio. It's brilliant.

Weights tonight. Hope you all are well.

C.

#52 thevinery, Sep 3, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Congrats on finishing your thesis. :tu: :tucool:

Since November I've been both cycling and running for cardio and really enjoy having the option.

14. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

food: good
    alcohol: none
    sugar: two teaspoons nutella (with a doubleshot of new espresso each and oh my god what a gorgeous thing)
    exercise: 30 min run
    upper session (need to add in details)
    daily inspiration: Mary-Louise Parker in Weeds, showing off decent arm muscles and great legs

I'm off work today and tomorrow until my new job starts up on Monday. It was blissful. Finally caught up on sleep, painted, watched way to much of Season 3 of Weeds, did laundry, went running, lifted. It was gorgeous.

Running felt like Autumn today -- when I wasn't feeling every inch of oxygen being sucked out of my lungs due to my measly windpower after a month of sitting on my ass writing a thesis. My cardio health, meagre as it was to begin with, went right out of the window while I was writing the thesis. Pathetic. Got locked in the park and had to run all the way back to the entrance which pretty made me want to keel over and die. I started to walk home from there and picked up with the running again about half way back. The good news is it always gets better from here.

Autumn is like New Years for me because my life has been structured around the academic year for so long, so tonight I'm making a list of things I'd like to do before Fall 2009 rolls around. It promises to be a good year -- jobs I like, paid travel, getting my own small side businesses up and going, getting into shape, good friends and London. I'm very happy where I am right now and looking planning to keep on keepin it on.

Be well, all.

C.

#54 thevinery, Sep 4, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  15. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

Also -- hello Dino! Hello Jedi! Hello Seltzer!

Thanks for good wishes and hellos.

;)

16. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

Ah, blessed Friday. Came in to take care of a few things, but am leaving in a few hours. London is wet as wet can be today.

Nothing planned on the exercise front today, but lower lifting session tomorrow and maybe a run if I have energy to burn. Today just eating well. Hallelujah, my coffee this morning was good.

breakfast: egg whites on pita, coffee
    snack: banana
    lunch: tuna and spinach?

---
    update: all good on the eating and drinking front tonight. macros slightly off but cals on, no alcohol or sugar.

#56 thevinery, Sep 5, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  17. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

Sat:

no exercise :o
    food: decent cals, bad macros (breads and cheese w/dinner)
    alcohol: um, yes. A good bottle of wine pretty well to myself...

A great day, didn't overeat at a friend's party but ate well, balanced out by loads of veggies and salad and egg whites earlier in the day... kept on cals but totally off on macros. Wasn't planning to drink, but it was a small group and I made the choice to fuck it. Scale didn't budge the next day... ah, well.

18. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

food: perfect on cals and macros
    sugar: one teaspoon nutella
    coffee: oh hells yes
    alcohol: half glass wine with dinner
    exercise: lower lifting session planned

food today--
    breakfast -- egg white omelet with loads of spinach, bit of feta, tomatoes.
    snack -- carrots and hummus
    snack again -- carrots
    dinner -- red snapper with potatoes and broccoli

(not very hungry, cals definitely lower than usual but think I'm not hungry due to the wine excess last night... not hung over, just not a huge appetite. :)

I start the new job tomorrow morning -- tonight is a bit of cleaning so my room is sparkling, which always helps me feel more organized, catching up on a bit of emailing, editing work, and making lunch for tomorrow. lifting session this evening before bed. I went grocery shopping for the first time (properly) since the thesis went in and picked up loads of tuna, haddock fillets, tuna fillets, veggies, creme fraiche, etc etc. I've been winging it a bit the last week and haven't brought much food, so now I'm all set to be ultra on-plan.

I'd like to hit a class at the local gym tomorrow evening after work and am also bringing shoes in case I want to simply take a run.

I've not been spot-on the last week but even so it feels great to get back to exercise and good eating... now if only I can stop drinking the damned wine... :lol::lol:

19. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

Monday:

Food: perfect
    sugar: none
    alcohol: none
    workout: pushups and squats

I didn't get to the gym (was at work until 10pm) so did a minimal workout of squats (unweighted wall squats to get the form down, 3 sets) and pushups (3 sets). I was a sad sad girl to miss the gym but this was better than nothing.

food: 5 egg whites breakfast
    snack: banana
    lunch: turkey and broccoli
    snack: more broccoli
    coooofffeeee
    dinner: turkey and tomotoes and feta

20. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

Tuesday:

Hello all -- sorry I'm just posting my own stuff and not stopping by journals -- it's a crazy week.

Just a note to say weight is down... (!!) :claphigh:
    I started September at 136.7lb
    I'm down now to about 135.6lb...

It's moving. Again, the super-goal here is to get to about 131 this month, which is probably well overshooting. But around 132 or 132.5 would be lovely. I've not been as cardio active as intended but am getting back to weights... it's coming along. Food is all good, although I'm a bit on the indulgence side of my famous alcohol comprimise balance right now.

Chinese night tonight... I have my (oversalted but otherwise steamed and healthy) chicken and cabbage waiting for me, no alcohol waiting for me. As always, wish me luck.

I'm also at a music festival this weekend from Friday-Sunday. Food is going to be tricky. I'm bringing tuna with me and was able to get oatmeal and coffee in the mornings last year. If I plan tuna lunch, oatmeal breakfast, fruit for snacks, then a relatively open dinner and a few ciders should be doable without undoing progress. This festival is represents some of my favorite days of the year, so moderation and compromise is the key here... full abstinence just makes me miserable at great social events like this.