1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

The Vinery's Mirror Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by thevinery, Jul 1, 2008.

1. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

Tuesday Chinese challenge, upper lifting session

Posted Today at 06:32 PM by thevinery
    FOOD GOOD (so far)
    UPPER SESSION

Stayed at boyfriend's place last night so don't have food prepared, but doing decent so far. Aiming for 1100-1200 cals today. I narrowly resisted the temptation to get a huge lamb wrap sandwich for lunch today, opting instead for a yummy tuna salad (that's salad as in lettuce, not salad as in globs of mayo).

Not having my own food means that I started the day ahead on cals, and I'm really noticing the difference in not having properly spaced meals... I'm NEVER this hungry at 6:30 at night!!!

Today:
    Salmon sandwich

raisins/cashew/almonds (abt 100cal total)

tuna salad (greens, olives, straight tuna, very little dressing)

latte

(approx 250 cals remaining)

I'm heading to what used to be a weekly get together at a Chinese place with some friends tonight (which has proven deadly in the past in terms of progress goals) and am trying to figure out what I can eat to stay under cals for the day... unfortunately, it's pretty much ALL full of MSG, so that's just how it is, but if I at least stay under cals I can go be social without feeling like the whole thing is a train wreck. That's a challenge given my hunger levels right now, but I know I can stay focused.

And god, what a train wreck. This place serves the typical big portions with a boatload of rice -- the rice always just did me in. And LOOOOOAADS of salt, loads of fat, etc. The things we realize about our eating habits when we get away from them...

No drinking for me tonight, either. I think I'm hitting a pretty good balance these last weeks with the drinking, putting very little alcohol in my system. Last night had a couple of glasses of red wine, but that's acceptable to me and infrequent. In the past I've sworn off the booze in all manifestations when training... which just made me feel like shit when I inevitably fell off the wagon. I've also tried to just swear off everything but red wine and then let myself drink that whenever I felt like it... which means I just end up having 2-3 glasses a night of progress impeding calories and alcohol. So limiting but drinking a bit in moderation here and there (my celebratory coffee mit bailey's for cream, a couple of glasses of wine) is working really well so far. And I've cut out any wine when I'm not socializing, as much as I love a glass (or 3) with dinner.

If I don't get the progress I want this month I'll reevaluate having any alcohol at all. We'll see. I hate waiting around for a week to see my weight get back to normal... makes it harder to tell if dietary/plan changes need to be made.

Hope you all are well---

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vinery, I'm glad to read that you've found a good balance between making physical progress, socializing, and mostly eating healthy. Those are three tough task masters to handle concurrently.

3. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

You have mentioned the Chinese disaster zone before :D is there anyway you could branch out and suggest trying a different type of restaurant or would that be heresy and the breaking of years of tradition??

I also hate having to wait days to get rid of carb or sodium bloat :)

By the way I have had my fair share of commune type living and I loved it, though I have adapted to having my own place as well, now :)

4. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

Thanks Seltzer! You seem to make it a habit to get around these boards and offer good advice and good wishes. Much appreciated. :D

Believe me, I'd love to switch the location... but it is indeed years of tradition, and I have a great time. Also has the benefit of being a place that even the broke students can afford, and as I'm barely out of the woods on that category myself I appreciate the importance of that.

And the weight gain this week has more to do with... erhm... female plumbing than the Chinese, although I'm sure that won't speed anything up. :lol:

What was the living situation you were in? And where? London is just too pricey for almost anything like that to exist, or at least to exist and be internet searchable...

5. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

when life intervenes

Posted Today at 12:09 PM by thevinery
    Hello all-

I've missed a few cardio and lifting sessions this last week, partly because nights I'd expected to be home I was at the boyfriend's place. Last night put a cap on those; we broke it off. This is a long time coming. Today is a sad day, but not really the stuff for internet forums.

Moving quickly on, at least in JSF terms, Chinese challenge last night was fine -- I found, hidden away on the menu, steamed chicken and cabbage. And it's actually steamed. Costs twice as much as anything else on the menu, but given that I can EAT IT, I'm not complaining. Stayed away from the beer. My friends have finally stopped ribbing me for not drinking; I didn't think it would happen.

Also, I'm going to go get a haircut. And lift tonight, and eat well today. These things are going to make me feel a lot better than going home and moaning into a large bowl of ice cream, tempting as that is.

#25 thevinery, Jul 9, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  6. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear the sad news. :( But make it a great day for other reasons. :nod:

7. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

Thanks, Carguy. That's the plan. It's a rough day...

I realized I was way too emotional to be sitting in my office chair this morning and went and got a haircut... talk about gendered escapism. :lol: Anyway, it's settled me down a bit...

And yes -- lifting... good food... focus.

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sorry to read about the rough day and hope that tomorrow is a better one.

And a big :tu: for the steamed Chinese food as well as staying away from the beer.

Have a great lifting session.

9. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

Sick; food good; upper lifting session

Posted July 12th, 2008 at 04:19 PM by thevinery
    Updated Today at 12:01 PM by thevinery
    FOOD PERFECT
    1063 22F/46C/31P
    SICK - WEIGHTS ON HOLD

As it almost always does for me, stress has manifested itself in sickness. I'm exhausted and sickish the last two days with a constant headache behind the eyes. Not sleeping well.

Trying to get enough water. I ate too much yesterday, albeit all the right foods. Getting calories back under control today, and am considering doing a lifting session. I'm not up for cardio, but I don't want to just sit around doing nothing...

Update -- taking the advice of my commenter and putting weights on hold for a day or two. Not getting much sleep and generally not wanting to make myself feel worse by pushing lifting etc.

Food today:
    egg white omelet
    grape nuts and milk
    green beans + yogurt (greek yogurt, garlic, cinnamon... try it. Really good.)
    Smoothie (donation from the housemate).
    Tuna and cucumber
    3 cubes of chocolate

#29 thevinery, Jul 12, 2008
  10. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

Sunday

quiet sunday

Posted Yesterday at 12:08 PM by thevinery
    No cardio/lifting
    FOOD GOOD
    1208 cal 27F/43C/30P

Today was totally sedentary, but food was good. I also got loads of work done on my thesis.

Starting to feel better!!

egg white and a bit of cheese
    grape nuts and milk
    bit of smoothie from the housemate
    salmon and sweet potato
    crisp rye bread
    treat: 2 pieces chocolate

11. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

Back to form?

Posted Today at 12:15 PM by thevinery
    Ok. Feeling back up to speed in terms of health, but got VERY little sleep last night. I was hoping to get up and run this morning before work but didn't get to sleep until after 4:30am and didn't wake up until 9. So be it.

I know from experience that when I push myself (and I'm not talking, you know, still doing 30 sets of squats when I don't feel like it -- I mean just taking an extra measly run, workout, etc) when I'm not feeling well I get proper full-blown sick, so I tend to be a bit overprotective about my health. I think if I can grab some sleep I should be back to form in terms of lifting, etc. I've just been focusing on good eating so that my progress doesn't stall, even if lacking lifting sessions isn't optimal.

I talked to the bike guys this morning and there's an additional form they need me to fill out to get my bike (work's paying for a big chunk of it on a cycle scheme). So it will be a while until I have it. I miss you, bike!!

Heading into work soon, have been doing my own invoicing and other nonsense this morning. Am very tired but am worried that if I take a quick nap now I'll only contribute to keeping my sleeping schedule all messed up.

UPDATE:
    Just a note that dspite the fact that my flatmate left a hefty of portion of mac and cheese with admonitions to finish it off, and despite the fact that PASTA CARBS TASTE SO DAMNED GOOD, I managed to make my starving self fish out my last coley fillet from the freezer. Which I just ate, mit peas.

Suck my high-health protein meal, biotech.

#31 thevinery, Jul 14, 2008
  12. Acedog

Acedog Well-Known Member

Haha! :lol:

Good job staying clear of the evil mac and cheese! (though I finally gave myself a cheat meal last night, but it wasn't that great :()

Sorry about your other issues, and I hope you get back to 100% soon. Looks like you're doing great with your eating and exercise. :tu:

13. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

again with the life stuff

Haven't disappeared, just dealing with life stuff. The ex went into surgery yesterday and I went with him to the hospital and was there from about 7am until about 11:30. Needless to say I didn't get any cardio or lifting done. My food was good on calories but miserable on content, and I threw in a nasty energy drink and coffee for good measure. And chocolate. But again decent on cals, so it shouldn't be a major progress blocker although not ideal. I stayed over at his place to do some nursing last night and may stay again tonight, after which he should be a little more on his feet and able to do stuff for himself again.

I'm still VERY low on sleep and a bit out of it, and my energy is starting to fall apart. I'm trying to get some thesis work done right now and my concentration is ridiculous. I'm going to push through work for another few hours (although will probably switch to easy paid work shortly, in an attempt to remain productive without having to think!!) and then hopefully catch up on a lot of sleep tonight. Would love to run and lift tomorrow, but I need to get into a state of reasonable rest so that I don't just hurt myself.

Upwards and onwards... wish me thesis luck and concentration! Looking forward to posting reps and sets rather than all of this blather (otherwise known as, you know, the actually important stuff in life ;)). This week of emotion, sickness and hospitals reminded me what a luxury it is to be worrying about macros and lifting and body comp. Looking forward to resuming that luxury shortly...

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    No doubt, life does get in the way sometimes.

That was considerate of you to aid your ex like that.

I know what you mean about the sleep, or lack thereof. I find it makes a huge difference when I'm reasonably well rested and have been making a big effort to get to bed earlier the past couple of weeks.

Good luck with your thesis!

15. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

got sleep

All right! Just woke up feelin human instead of full of cotton. Heading off to work, lifting tonight and maybe even running. :D

16. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

How has your day been? Have you managed to maintain a more human feeling through the day ? :)

17. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

Ratings

Hello Jedi! Since you ask...

Friday In-Progress Update
    FOOD: GOOD

CLEAN EATING: YES

MOOD: DECENT

PRODUCTIVITY: HIGH

THESISING: SOME

PAID WORK: MORE

ALERTNESS: LACKING

COFFEE INTAKE: OBSCENE

FAVORITE SHOES: OH HELLZ YEAH.

Full disclosure on the food: grape nuts and milk; egg white omelet; melon; bean burger and broccoli; tuna and spinach; carrots; walnuts.

18. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

Man, I really need to get started on that, too. :o I still have other class work to finish first though so at least I can justify my procrastination (somewhat).

Good luck with your goals! I hope you get to where you want to be :nod:.

19. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

Hi all-

I've been eating well but pretty bad on cardio and lifting. I realize that I need to get back to posting every day to keep myself accountable. And the progress has stalled (duh) during my little period away, although I haven't backpedaled at all.

Short lifting session tonight when I get home, will update after.

I'm aiming for 5 hours/day on the dissertation from now til August 5th - 3 hours so far today.

See you soon, all. :D

20. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

Just checking. did you get in 2 more hours study and some lifting? ;)